Remote access

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have Open VPN up and working as best I can tell. Haven't been able to make it work with my cell phone yet though. With OpenVPN on in both my cellphone and BI server I put the server ip address followed by :81. No luck

Also I am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I have not configured BI according to the wizard as there is a step that asks to enable port forwarding. Is there a way around this? I have also purchased the mobile app and it won't work because I am not setup according to the wizard.

Everything else seems setup well so I just need to figure this out.

I have setup to view locally with Chromecast and that works well

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need to do the BI Wizard or port forward for OpenVPN to work.

Did you follow every step in my post to you on your other thread (Which BTW you do not need to make a new thread each time for the same issue as it will only confuse and cause you to get the same responses...)

Which step do you think you didn't do correctly?

You created a certificate and copied it to your mobile device and then you open up OpenVPN on your mobile device and tell it to connect and does it connect? If it doesn't connect, then you won't be able to see your server.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So are you running OpenVPN on the computer? If so, then maybe there is a firewall issue preventing you from seeing BI.

If OpenVPN is native within the browser, then you do not set anything up on the computer.

And make sure in BI that you haven't restricted the user to LAN only.

For the BI app, you put in the same IP address followed with :81 for both the LAN and WAN address.

And this should be the IP address of your BI computer that has internet access, not the IP address of the cameras if you are running dual NIC or VLAN.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are photos of the screens for the wizard. They indicate that I am not blocked by firewall. I have not opened stunnel though as I don't think it is needed. I am using the LAN ip address of the computer as shown on the BI home page.

I am not running BI through a browser but as its own application. When I try to log in through the browser I am unable too because it is not recognizing my user name/password. Not sure how to verify my password now for BI as it automatically opens for me. 99% sure I am using the correct one however

Attachments

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are using the BI app on your phone, are you able to successfully connect to BI via the app when your phone is connected to your homes wifi?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Time to draw out a network topology map.

If you cannot access it while on wifi, you have a firewall issue or the wrong IP address in the BI app.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I initially go through a comcast modem to a netgear router. The netgear router identifies the BI computer as an attached device with the same IP as indicated in the BI software. That is the one I am using. The firewall from the wizard looks clear. Really no idea what to do next as the topology doesn't seem complicated since I can see the IP address/BI computer as an attached device. Not sure what I am missing

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The BI IP shows it on port 81. Not sure how to see what the router thinks or if it is assignable

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Was just able to get on locally thru the browser and it displays the IP, port 81/ui3... Had to change a "r" to a cap R. Still no success elsewhere but this is some progress

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Comcast just a modem or a modem/router? If it is a combo they you probably have a double NAT going on and you need to put it in pass-through or bridge or whatever that modem calls it to turn off DHCP in the router.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is a modem router in bridge mode. I just reconfirmed and it specifically states so

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And in the BI app you put in the same IP address for the LAN and WAN with :81 after?

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did not change the WAN in BI to be the same as my LAN. I will do now. When I do the IP reverts to the original WAN

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did not change the WAN in BI to be the same as my LAN. I will do now. When I do the IP reverts to the original WAN
It is the in the BI app that you make them the same

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
both on the phone app and on the web server tab of Blue Iris settings in the software. I can't get it to hold on the web server tab as it reverts to the external WAN if I hit ok. See attached where I changed but as stated doesn't hold. This is the same IP that is shown as attached at the router

Attachments

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since the LAN connection works on my wifi I know the IP is correct. To access remotely I believe I should still enter the LAN IP. Totally confused and frustrated to get access. It was my understanding that with the VPN I could enter the LAN address but clearly it is not getting through. I have tried the WAN IP also with no success. Planning to go on trip for awhile and would love to be able to view. No problem most of the time but kinda annoying that I can't figure it out.