Remote BI laptop startup after power outage

Manic

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a laptop running BI at a remote property 1.5 hours away that has worked perfectly. We had a power outage the other day and it turned the laptop off. I couldn't start it without going back to the property and pressing the power button. The PoE switch and NBN modem came back online OK after power resumed.

Does anyone have any solutions to switch the system back on remotely? I've checked the BIOS and it doesn't have Wake on Lan functionality. I've also heard it's not a reliable sending a magic packet over the internet based on ISP forwarding and router configs. I'm ok to buy a new system but want to know the best solution for this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a laptop running BI at a remote property 1.5 hours away that has worked perfectly. We had a power outage the other day and it turned the laptop off. I couldn't start it without going back to the property and pressing the power button. The PoE switch and NBN modem came back online OK after power resumed.

Does anyone have any solutions to switch the system back on remotely? I've checked the BIOS and it doesn't have Wake on Lan functionality. I've also heard it's not a reliable sending a magic packet over the internet based on ISP forwarding and router configs. I'm ok to buy a new system but want to know the best solution for this scenario.

Thanks in advance.
Most desktops have the ability to set the bios to restart after power loss, when the power is returned (provided you dont shut it down with a ups). Some laptops also have this function.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to laptops not being the best computer for BI due to it being designed to throttle CPU for temperature control instead of favoring performance, as pointed out, very few have the ability to restart like a desktop.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How long was that outage?

Either it was really long and the battery couldn't keep the laptop going
OR
the battery in laptop is not much good....my experience is they only last about 3 years especially when plugged in all the time. I've replaced probably 60 of them since 2007. When they're really bad the laptop dies as soon as the power goes out or the AC adapter/charger is unplugged.

UPS batteries also last about 3 years, 4 years tops.

Manic

n3wb
Reaction score
How long was that outage?

Either it was really long and the battery couldn't keep the laptop going
OR
the battery in laptop is not much good....my experience is they only last about 3 years especially when plugged in all the time. I've replaced probably 60 of them since 2007. When they're really bad the laptop dies as soon as the power goes out or the AC adapter/charger is unplugged.

UPS batteries also last about 3 years, 4 years tops.
The outage was for around 6 hours. It was enough for the laptop battery to run out and shut down the laptop. I'm thinking a NUC with a "Restore A/C power" feature is the way to go.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Manic

n3wb
Reaction score
NUC's and BI don't really work out that well . ==>> Wanting to run Blue Iris on an INTEL NUC

and ==>> Anyone running a Intel NUC Kit (super micro computer) for Blue Iris?

A UPS would be a lot cheaper, IMO....and very practical. :cool:
Thanks, Ive only got 3 cameras, 1 with audio and the CPU flatlines a fair but when they are all triggered eg. windy days. The laptop is a i7-4510u CPU so Im looking at the HP Elitedesk or Dell Optiplex per these threads.

Need to confirm they have 'Restore on A/C power' and can support an internal drive for enough storage. Also don't have space for a monitor in the cabinet so want a smaller case and I want it to be set and forget.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that these smaller case units have an optical drive that you can disconnect and add another HDD that way. They aren't going anywhere so velcro or tape will hold it in place.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Do some research in the particular model that you are thinking of buying but we have a Dell 7020 (I think) and a HP G2 600 and both of these have option to power up automatically.

Another thing worth checking but I’m sure most desktops will have it is to resume booting on keyboard detection or failure as I run my BI system headless with nothing else plugged in.

Manic

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind that these smaller case units have an optical drive that you can disconnect and add another HDD that way. They aren't going anywhere so velcro or tape will hold it in place.
Can a USB HDD enclosure be reliably used with a surveillance disk or is it better to have an internal HDD?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope. I tested it and it could not keep up, even though USB 3.0 theoretical speed says it can. The data of cameras never stop.

Some have said they have done it, but I have tried several times and it couldn't keep up after about 20min with two cameras.