Remote camera access possible behind an NVR? DS-7608NI-SE

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, it sounds like you got there.
So the problem was that you assigned the camera an IP address for your normal network, and plugged it into a POE port set for manual configuration and could not connect via the NVR virtual host, nor would the NVR see the camera.
But when you assigned the camera, and the POE port under 'manual', the same IP address in the range that the NVR POE switches are configured to use (192.168.254.xxx by default) all was OK.
Just recapping to clarify, and maybe help others.

You raise an important point about not being able to change the default password, and exposing the camera to the internet via virtual host and port forward.

The end result would be something like this, using POE port D01

Attachments

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"Virtual Host" must be enabled. My DS-7608NI-SE/8P is running V2.3.9 build 140820. Through the webpage configuration DS-7608NI-SE/8P, under Network Settings->Advanced, be sure to enable "Virtual Host".

Then you should be able to access each camera through the NVR via port 650nn (where n=00 to 16, for example).

Let me know if you need more assistance.
I just installed V3.0.10 on my DS-7608NI-SE/8P. I do not see Advanced or virtual host under Configuration, Network. Tried through the NVR itself and via my PC. There is a "Enable EZVIZ Cloud P2P" under Extranet Access... I don't see anything else.. ???

TEAM07

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed V3.0.10 on my DS-7608NI-SE/8P. I do not see Advanced or virtual host under Configuration, Network. Tried through the NVR itself and via my PC. There is a "Enable EZVIZ Cloud P2P" under Extranet Access... I don't see anything else.. ???
When you say "...via my PC", are you using a browser? If so, here's what you should see:

Attachments

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks! I must be blind! That screen has a few more options (must be version... .10) but nonetheless I see Virtual host.

Can't believe I missed that.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR with firmware version: V3.0.8 build 140825.

Attached is a screenshot of my Networks--> Advanced. I don't seem to have the Virtual Host option. Does anyone know if there is an updated version of the firmware that I should consider installing?

Another question... I have been trying to find the right owner's manual for my NVR but all I can seem to find online is a manual that includes the DS-7632NI-E2/8P... Is this the same device? If not can someone suggest where I can find the correct online manual.

Attachments

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In your first picture the model is 7632 which implies 32 channels (cameras) but the number of channels in the configuration is stated as only 8. It should read 32. What is the max number of cameras you can connect?
What is the max number of cameras connected (or not) that is depicted in the camera managemet menu?
Are you certain that you do not have a hacked NVR firmware?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In your first picture the model is 7632 which implies 32 channels (cameras) but the number of channels in the configuration is stated as only 8. It should read 32.
The 'Number of channels' in that first screenshot is the actual number that have been configured, as opposed to the maximum number that the firmware would allow.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually only have 1 camera setup so far. I assume that the NVR defaults to the 8 channels to match the number of POE ports...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the number of PoE ports is fixed at 8 on your NVR, you can't add or subtract any, they are all configured.
But if you were to add a LAN-connected camera that number would go up to 9.

starcat102

n3wb
Reaction score
"Virtual Host" must be enabled. My DS-7608NI-SE/8P is running V2.3.9 build 140820. Through the webpage configuration DS-7608NI-SE/8P, under Network Settings->Advanced, be sure to enable "Virtual Host".

Then you should be able to access each camera through the NVR via port 650nn (where n=00 to 16, for example).

Let me know if you need more assistance.
Coud you please help. I also have the DS-7608NI-SE/P and don't have the Advanced menu under Networking. I upgraded the firmware to the latest available V3.0.15 Build151230 (R6) and I still don't have this Advanced Networking menu (HTTPS is the last one), thus no Virtual Host to click on.

Please help, this drives me nuts. Thanks very much in advance!

starcat102

n3wb
Reaction score
Strange, after rebooting several times and looking again at this the next day, the Advanced option just showed up.. Really strange.