Remote Connection Troubleshoot

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello and thanks.

Everything is great but I still cant connect remotely outside of the app.

I am using port 89 and it will work on my phone if I type in the ipadress:89 but I have not found a computer yet that I can pull the UI up on.

Any thoughts?

IF I have to change the port #.. what else comes along with that from a config standpoint or is it really just updating the app to the new port #.

Thanks again.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) what are you trying to connect to ? from what to what ?
2) by remote do you mean away from your home wifi network ?
3) what do you mean "outside the app" ?

You need to do a much better job defining you problem

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry more details below
I am trying to connect to the BI GUI/login page that I use on my LAN to view cameras from a computer. This works on my home computer but not away from the house.
Yes, remote meaning outside of my wifi
Outside the App - meant that the app works fine, but , if I am at the office or say a friends house, I can not view the GUI on their computers..

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you trying connect to the blue Iris web interface or are you trying to connect to the blue iris console ?
Have you set up a VPN connection ?
Who or what is your ddns provider ?
What type of router do you have ?
Are you using port forwarding in you router for port 89 ?
?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry more details below
I am trying to connect to the BI GUI/login page that I use on my LAN to view cameras from a computer. This works on my home computer but not away from the house.
Yes, remote meaning outside of my wifi
Outside the App - meant that the app works fine, but , if I am at the office or say a friends house, I can not view the GUI on their computers..
you need to enter the port in the browser as well.

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again.

This is all about connecting to the Blue Iris web interface..
I am port forwarding, no vpn. Spectrum is the provider but just the modem, I am using EERO for the port forwarding.

The confusing part is if I go into safari on my iphone and manually put in ipaddress:89 I get to the login screen as expected.

If I do this same thing on a computer (outside of my network / my house) i get nothing.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

This is all about connected to the Blue Iris web interface..
I am port forwarding, no vpn. Spectrum is the provider but just the modem, I am using EERO for the port forwarding.

The confusing part is if I go into safari on my iphone and manually put in ipaddress:89 I get to the login screen as expected.

If I do this same thing on a computer (outside of my network / my house) i get nothing.
probably typing something wrong, make sure you are using http NOT https in the browser

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure you are not running into security on the outbound connection ? On the Iphone turn off the cell network and try using it to connect via wifi at one of the problem locations.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again.

This is all about connecting to the Blue Iris web interface..

If no VPN and you are port forwarding as you said, then outside of your LAN to connect you would need either WAN-IP:89 or yourhostname:89 if you have set up DDNS in case your WAN IP is not static.