Remote network using a bridge for cameras?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use ubiquiti gear so i got the idea of setting up a bridge to a distant building that no longer has internet but already has POE IP cameras setup around it. I would like to setup two ubiquiti locos as a bridge so i can put the video feed to BI at my house that is 2,000 feet away the way the bird flys. :)

This way would not count against my data cap and save me from two ISP bills and still have some sort of security.

Thoughts?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was trying to be cheap, the locos 5 are $49 each.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The link @looney2ns provided above may be your best bet if you turn up empty at Amazon, Baltic Neworks, Solid Signal, Streakwave, etc. and the price is on-par anyway (if they don't eat you up with shipping).

The problem is stock due to trade issues with China. It took me over a month to get a Nanostation 2.4 (not a Loco) in April. Confirm if in stock when you order!

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up getting the NanoBeams since they where in stock and where not priced higher than msrp. Now i just need to figure out how to set it all up.

In the garage that is 2,000 feet + away i have a netgear router and a few IP cams.

I'm guessing that i take the netgear router out of DHCP mode as i like to assign static IPs to everything as the IP cams already have static IP's and assign static IP to the router in the garage and the nano beams.

Then it would appear on my local network.

At some point i would like to try to have them on a VLAN so say someone broke into the garage they would not be able to access my content on my NAS at home even though it needs a pass.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
There are a couple good videos on YT on how to set them up.. I recommend getting them all set before you mount them, then all you have to do is aim them. its not too bad..

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Setting them up is easy it's the other devices.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I ended up getting the NanoBeams since they where in stock and where not priced higher than msrp. Now i just need to figure out how to set it all up.

In the garage that is 2,000 feet + away i have a netgear router and a few IP cams.

I'm guessing that i take the netgear router out of DHCP mode as i like to assign static IPs to everything as the IP cams already have static IP's and assign static IP to the router in the garage and the nano beams.

Then it would appear on my local network.

At some point i would like to try to have them on a VLAN so say someone broke into the garage they would not be able to access my content on my NAS at home even though it needs a pass.
The Nanobeams definitely need static IPs. You set one of the Nanobeams up as a client (they may call it "station mode", can't remember) and the other gets setup in AP mode. Then you direct the one you setup as a client to connect to the Nanobeam that is AP mode. Its fairly easy. You need to do all of that from your work bench before mounting them. That way all you do is point and aim them at each other in the field and they will connect automatically.

You have a router in your main house, right? And you are beaming the signal from your house to your garage? If so, you don't need a router in the garage unless you are wanting to use it just as an AP if you don't already have a dedicated AP there. If you are using it just as an AP, then yes, you need to assign IPs to every device and DISABLE DHCP on the garage router. Also, you can assign IPs from your main house router via MAC addresses and DHCP reservation. On the router in the garage you won't use the WAN port at all. You will connect the garage NanoBeam to one of the LAN ports.

In the future, dump the garage router and go with a dedicated AP all run from a central PoE switch.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then what function is the netgear router performing in your schema if its DHCP is not enabled?
Unless you're using the wireless part of it as a wireless access point, sounds like a job for a switch...... :idk:

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the future, dump the garage router and go with a dedicated AP all run from a central PoE switch.
That would require spending more money for a temporary network. I plan to sell the garage in a year or two because it is a pain being so far away. It takes 10 min to drive the lawn mower to it. lol

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then what function is the netgear router performing in your schema if its DHCP is not enabled?
Unless you're using the wireless part of it as a wireless access point, sounds like a job for a switch...... :idk:
As a AP for my phone.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That would require spending more money for a temporary network. I plan to sell the garage in a year or two because it is a pain being so far away. It takes 10 min to drive the lawn mower to it. lol
You already have a PoE switch in the garage, yes? Then all you need is a AP. Nothing else required.

But the wireless router should also work so long as you don't connect anything to its WAN port.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got it up and going it works very well. Only issue is the link is very slow. I think there are some trees in the way. I need to work on it still maybe buy a AP that old netgear router is super slow.

I need to find better window mounts, i'm not impressed by the ubiquiti ones.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got it up and going it works very well. Only issue is the link is very slow. I think there are some trees in the way. I need to work on it still maybe buy a AP that old netgear router is super slow.
If it's the Ubiquiti link that's slow and trees are in the way, the 2.4GHz Nanostations and not 5GHz Locos may have punched thru better, I've put in a couple in that instance and they made it fine and with no degradation.

I need to find better window mounts, i'm not impressed by the ubiquiti ones.
Yeah, I've used those too...not cheap either. I recall you said you "... plan to sell the garage in a year or two" but if your luck is like mine, that could turn into 3-4 years. You also may not want to drill holes or mount outside, but if you do, these are quick and cheap; they were for Nanostations, just shorten the vertical piece for Locos:

UBNT_Vertical-Wall-Mount_med.jpg

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You should have clear line of sight. If it’s slow now because of things in the way, it will be worse when it rains.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should have clear line of sight. If it’s slow now because of things in the way, it will be worse when it rains.
I do have line of sight now as i moved to a new window but the link is at 124 Mbps it was at 10 Mbps -20.

As there name says nanobeam it seems hard to align them. The crap windows mounts don't help.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's the Ubiquiti link that's slow and trees are in the way, the 2.4GHz Nanostations and not 5GHz Locos may have punched thru better, I've put in a couple in that instance and they made it fine and with no degradation.

Yeah, I've used those too...not cheap either. I recall you said you "... plan to sell the garage in a year or two" but if your luck is like mine, that could turn into 3-4 years. You also may not want to drill holes or mount outside, but if you do, these are quick and cheap; they were for Nanostations, just shorten the vertical piece for Locos:

View attachment 92134

Great idea with the PVC.

Yes i should have got 2.4GHz Nanostations they seem easier to align.