Reolink - good & bad

DanTx

n3wb
Reaction score
Reolink was the only camera I could find to support a specific use case. Argus 2 was the style.

We had only power on a pole in a remote location. Put a 4g hotspot in a secure box.
Needed
1. Not cloud to conserve bandwidth but possible to remote in and download as needed.
2. Completely wireless.
3. All weather.

Only thing that I could find was a reolink.

Once the house is built getting Andy to buy about 10 good cameras, but so far reolink serves a purpose.

DanTx

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure I understand....you had power and a 4G hotspot on a pole but that is NOT where you put the camera?
The camera was put about 20 feet up on the same pole, to prevent someone from being able to easily access it or disable it by cutting a cable, but close enough to reach the wifi provided by the 4g hotspot. We originally had a power wire ran to it, but opted to use the solar panels to remove needing a wire at all and we have plenty of sun. Also, to some minor degree, the solar panel provides an extra cover for protecting the camera from weather.

It was a simple and effective alarm for the property in the sense of motion triggers directly to multiple phones, along with recordings that can be saved or downloaded remotely at anytime. Have not come close to using the 2GB of data on a prepaid plan each 30 days.

Also because the 4g Hotspot has a built in battery, even if power to the outlet is disabled, still have about 1 hour of internet before that goes down.

Last edited:

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a new reolink PTZ for sale if anyone needs one. DM.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had reolink for 2 years now. I want to get a new setup and be more professional.

I would not buy reolink again.

I do like the idea of wifi. So much easier as I am unable to run wires where I need

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had reolink for 2 years now. I want to get a new setup and be more professional.

I would not buy reolink again.

I do like the idea of wifi. So much easier as I am unable to run wires where I need
Glad to hear you have made that decision regarding Reolink......but instead of putting yourself through the expense and trouble of using wireless cams and then coming back here later and saying it did not work well, why not take the advice NOW of the overwhelming majority of forum members that say to avoid wireless cams like the plague?

Especially since You said you desire to "...be more professional", right?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear you have made that decision regarding Reolink......but instead of putting yourself through the expense and trouble of using wireless cams and then coming back here later and saying it did not work well, why not take the advice NOW of the overwhelming majority of forum members that say to avoid wireless cams like the plague?

Especially since You said you desire to "...be more professional", right?
I have thousand feet of awg wire from monoprice. But running wire outside is going to be a lot of work.

The issue that I have reolink on the nvr. I use it on BI on one computer and if I use BI and reolink on another computer it disconnects all the time but if I use their reolink software it is fine and the 1 computer running BI is fine.

If I go to a better camera setup can I run BI on 3 computers without issue? Is there no need for a NVR with 1 BI dedicated computer?

What are the updated cameras for 2019?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have thousand feet of awg wire from monoprice. But running wire outside is going to be a lot of work.
Good results require more effort. You''ll be glad you went wired.

The issue that I have reolink on the nvr. I use it on BI on one computer and if I use BI and reolink on another computer it disconnects all the time but if I use their reolink software it is fine and the 1 computer running BI is fine.
Then go with "...the 1 computer running BI is fine."
If I go to a better camera setup can I run BI on 3 computers without issue? Is there no need for a NVR with 1 BI dedicated computer?
Not sure why you'd "...run BI on 3 computers". You can have BI on 1 PC, it can be connected to cameras with no NVR, to a NVR with cameras or a combo of both. IMO, the best solution is to use highly-rated cams as found in the Cliff Notes on a PC that will run BI well, as recommended here.

You can view the cameras on the BI PC remotely or locally on several PC's, tablets or smartphones by launching a browser and accessing BI's built-in web server called "UI3".

For remote access, BI's app works even better regarding notifications of alerts. A VPN is HIGHLY recommended for allowing remote access versus undesirable port forwarding.

The answer is YES to your question "Is there no need for a NVR with 1 BI dedicated computer?" IMO, using a dedicated, properly chosen PC with BI is far superior to using an NVR.

What are the updated cameras for 2019?
Wait at least unti mid January then ask @EMPIRETECANDY

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI's built-in web server called "UI3"

Unable to set this up as you have to make the 1 BI computer a "server"? Why is it bad to run 3 computers with BI software. I bought 3 but no use for them currently. Do I have to install UI3 on the tablet or smartphone or computer?

I looked into VPN on phone but saw that the ones being suggested were hacked or just as bad with leaking info.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unable to set this up as you have to make the 1 BI computer a "server"?
When you install BI on a PC by default it is ready to be a "camera server" and allow you to view your cameras that are connected to it either over your local network (LAN) or remotely (WAN).

Why is it bad to run 3 computers with BI software. I bought 3 but no use for them currently. Do I have to install UI3 on the tablet or smartphone or computer?
It's not "bad" but if the PC's are at the same locations it's likely unnecessary. Generally, you'd have 1 PC with BI installed and it's the server. The other PC's on your LAN can view the cams that are running on the BI server simply by opening a browser (like Google Chrome) and typing in a URL such as :
Code:
http://your-BI-servers-IP-address:port/ui3.htm
Do I have to install UI3 on the tablet or smartphone or computer?
No....UI3 is built into the server. If the device is on your LAN, either wired or wirelessly, simply open a browser and enter the URL described above.

I suggest you read the Blue Iris Tutorial videos by @Dasstrum , found >>here.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh that simple. Good to know. I don't mind I supported BI by purchasing 3 - don't get me wrong! I might use them in the future one day. I wish I could just use them on another computer but the camera cuts out using them with reolink.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to Blue Iris "Options", "Web Server" tab, click on 'Help" button in the lower right corner and read.
Blue Iris has excellent built-in and contextual help.
Thanks and thanks. You are the best and very helpful to ELI5 here.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found the ui3 but what would the name/password be?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found the ui3 but what would the name/password be?
Boy, you couldn't have read more than a couple of minutes.

The answer is contained in the Help section I mentioned above, on down in the web server section, it says "....Users are configured on the Options/Users page. Did you get that far?

You go to "Options", users" and set up a user with a username and a password, like user = "TL1096r", password = "homework5432" or whatever.

You need to read more, bro and take your time! :cool:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Boy, you couldn't have read more than a couple of minutes.

The answer is contained in the Help section I mentioned above, on down in the web server section, it says "....Users are configured on the Options/Users page. Did you get that far?

You go to "Options", users" and set up a user with a username and a password, like user = "TL1096r", password = "homework5432" or whatever.

You need to read more, bro and take your time! :cool:
Yes I did it and it didn't work. No under web server/help I didn't see that part.