Reolink - good & bad

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello.

I thought id give my experience with Reolink with Blue Iris. Im using the latest version of BI, and all cameras have up to date firmware. I have the Reolink RLC 422w and RLC 423 PTZ.
This is my second security set up iv owned for my home, Im not a expert but a guy that wants a working security system that offers enough control for motion detection. these were got to cover the driveway at the front and back garden. The RLC 422ws which has a sd card slot and is mounted at the front door porch and the PTZ camera is mounted at the back garden. Iv had this set up for just under a year.

The build quality of the 423 PTZ camera is good quite heavy, easy to mount. Its set up via POE the install went flawless. It was easy to get the cameras to link to the Reolink own software but then the first issues became apparent, the software has issues. It would loose connection, be very slow to respond and kept warning me that the preview of fluent was having issues and recommended a degraded stream for smooth viewing. I have between 45 to 56 mbps download speed, and 20mbps upload. It was not on the 5k setting but on a 2560 x 1440. Often when I try to access to camera encoding settings it shows failed, or at times even when it says succeeded it still wont show the settings. When I could get to the settings I set it to h264, and the performance shows the bitrate at 6871 kbps Ethernet throughput of 37 KBps, this is for the camera using POE. The wireless camera RLC 423w is hardly accessible via the Reolink software, it shows as connected for a few seconds then disconnects, yet stays connected via blueIris fine, more on that later.

The Reolink software had other issues. While it has exposure settings they simply to not work, I contacted support and while they where fast to respond, it seemed they had no idea how exposure should work. I explained that the slightest sun shine would blow out the video badly, and I continued to try to get them to understand that I should not have to try to control this with contrast and other non related settings when the exposure should be the main control. In the end they said that their cameras where not suitable for my usage after I had to buy a brand new camera to prove to them that mine wasnt faulty but that there was software/hardware flaws in all their cameras. This was also the same for the PTZ camera, they are easy to over expose. I have more exposure issues at night from both cameras. You will not be able to make out the face of a person it will be blown out white on both cameras. The PTZ is fast but the focus takes about 5 seconds to become clear. The audio input for the PTZ camera just produced poor sound quality, humming, and no matter what mic I used and PSU it made no difference, it also slowed down the stream a great deal. There is allot of noise on both cameras at night. I got my PTZ second hand cheap so not much of a loss there, and the dome camera was on offer at the time. wireless is a waste of time just go POE.

The Reolink software has very basic motion detection, and offers so little settings that in the end you will not want any notifications as it will keep getting positive false triggers all the time. The reolink mobile app on android seem to work better than the PC software.

Reolinks cameras where saved in part for the fact that its BlueIris compatible. The PTZ works, and calls the presets without issues. It was easy to add the cameras, and set up the server once you know how it works and understand what IP address is for what and how it all functions. The BlueIris App also works fine. BlueIris saves the day because otherwise I would not recommend these cameras with the Reolinks own software. The price is high for these cameras given the issues but they work with the BI software.

You don't need 5MP camera, I cant imagine how anyone could run 1 camera at 5MP at its highest bitrate and framerate let alone multiple cameras as almost everyone in the UK that I know does not get such a fiber optic connection able to stream at such high settings.

Reolink are friendly and responsive and give the impression that they care about your experience, but dont seem to have the answers to issues. They need to pay special attention to their software, its very slow and buggy, and their cameras over expose easily. Night vision again is over exposed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

I thought id give my experience with Reolink with Blue Iris. Im using the latest version of BI, and all cameras have up to date firmware. I have the Reolink RLC 422w and RLC 423 PTZ.
This is my second security set up iv owned for my home, Im not a expert but a guy that wants a working security system that offers enough control for motion detection. these were got to cover the driveway at the front and back garden. The RLC 422ws which has a sd card slot and is mounted at the front door porch and the PTZ camera is mounted at the back garden. Iv had this set up for just under a year.

The build quality of the 423 PTZ camera is good quite heavy, easy to mount. Its set up via POE the install went flawless. It was easy to get the cameras to link to the Reolink own software but then the first issues became apparent, the software has issues. It would loose connection, be very slow to respond and kept warning me that the preview of fluent was having issues and recommended a degraded stream for smooth viewing. I have between 45 to 56 mbps download speed, and 20mbps upload. It was not on the 5k setting but on a 2560 x 1440. Often when I try to access to camera encoding settings it shows failed, or at times even when it says succeeded it still wont show the settings. When I could get to the settings I set it to h264, and the performance shows the bitrate at 6871 kbps Ethernet throughput of 37 KBps, this is for the camera using POE. The wireless camera RLC 423w is hardly accessible via the Reolink software, it shows as connected for a few seconds then disconnects, yet stays connected via blueIris fine, more on that later.

The Reolink software had other issues. While it has exposure settings they simply to not work, I contacted support and while they where fast to respond, it seemed they had no idea how exposure should work. I explained that the slightest sun shine would blow out the video badly, and I continued to try to get them to understand that I should not have to try to control this with contrast and other non related settings when the exposure should be the main control. In the end they said that their cameras where not suitable for my usage after I had to buy a brand new camera to prove to them that mine wasnt faulty but that there was software/hardware flaws in all their cameras. This was also the same for the PTZ camera, they are easy to over expose. I have more exposure issues at night from both cameras. You will not be able to make out the face of a person it will be blown out white on both cameras. The PTZ is fast but the focus takes about 5 seconds to become clear. The audio input for the PTZ camera just produced poor sound quality, humming, and no matter what mic I used and PSU it made no difference, it also slowed down the stream a great deal. There is allot of noise on both cameras at night. I got my PTZ second hand cheap so not much of a loss there, and the dome camera was on offer at the time. wireless is a waste of time just go POE.

The Reolink software has very basic motion detection, and offers so little settings that in the end you will not want any notifications as it will keep getting positive false triggers all the time. The reolink mobile app on android seem to work better than the PC software.

Reolinks cameras where saved in part for the fact that its BlueIris compatible. The PTZ works, and calls the presets without issues. It was easy to add the cameras, and set up the server once you know how it works and understand what IP address is for what and how it all functions. The BlueIris App also works fine. BlueIris saves the day because otherwise I would not recommend these cameras with the Reolinks own software. The price is high for these cameras given the issues but they work with the BI software.

You don't need 5MP camera, I cant imagine how anyone could run 1 camera at 5MP at its highest bitrate and framerate let alone multiple cameras as almost everyone in the UK that I know does not get such a fiber optic connection able to stream at such high settings.

Reolink are friendly and responsive and give the impression that they care about your experience, but dont seem to have the answers to issues. They need to pay special attention to their software, its very slow and buggy, and their cameras over expose easily. Night vision again is over exposed.
There is no correlation between weight and build quality.
Reolink cameras are not compatible with blue iris. Yes they will produce a stream, but because the iframe interval cannot be set you WILL have issues with motion detection recording.
Reolink is a lying spamming company. They dont care as they lied to users about why they dont have an iframe interval setting.
Reolink cameras all have poor night and low light capabilities because they use small sensors.
Reolink should be avoided at all costs.

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no correlation between weight and build quality.
Reolink cameras are not compatible with blue iris. Yes they will produce a stream, but because the iframe interval cannot be set you WILL have issues with motion detection recording.
Reolink is a lying spamming company. They dont care as they lied to users about why they dont have an iframe interval setting.
Reolink cameras all have poor night and low light capabilities because they use small sensors.
Reolink should be avoided at all costs.
Hi

Iv seen a few things about the iframe, is this something thats visible as Im not seeing it, can you expand a bit on how to see it, and how it effects motion detection please?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

Iv seen a few things about the iframe, is this something thats visible as Im not seeing it, can you expand a bit on how to see it, and how it effects motion detection please?

Thanks
When using direct to disk, blue iris can only start recording on a new iframe as explained in the help file. 99.9 percent of the cameras on the market allow this adjustment. Reolink does not. So you need to set a really long pre trigger record and hope for the best.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use reolink and record 24/7 with BI. It is not the best and justified it for almost 2 years now since I purchased it and wanted to get use out of it.

I will one day have a setup to rival fenderman.

Reaction score
Simple question: Is Reolink H264 PoE cameras compatible with Dahua recorders? My Reolink recorder died after 3 months and their tech support is not good at this point. I would like to salvage something to get back up and replace cameras one at a time due to cost.

Thanks,

Steve in Tennessee

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seeing this thread updated in my email just poked me to update my response.

Reolink sucks. I've now had so many issues ranging from audio input not working on certain models (that they knew about), completely wrong specs/features in their Amazon descriptions, auto focus on the 411s not working and drifting to blurry, to cameras randomly going offline and needing to be rebooted.

My best advice is to just listen to fenderman from the beginning and don't argue or you're just wasting your time.

Reaction score
I am trying to see of the cameras (H264) will be compatible with the Dahua NVR. I cannot afford to swap out all at once and the Reolink NVR failed. I know it sucks. Found out the hard way. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve in Tennessee

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Simple question: Is Reolink H264 PoE cameras compatible with Dahua recorders? My Reolink recorder died after 3 months and their tech support is not good at this point. I would like to salvage something to get back up and replace cameras one at a time due to cost.

Thanks,

Steve in Tennessee
if purchased on amazon email and ask for a refund.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
fenderman, does the Reolink C2 have the same iFrame issues you mentioned earlier? I think this is one of their newer cameras, so still stay away from it?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good indoor PTZ (that is isn't wall/ceiling mounted) with 3-5mp, some zoom and plays well with BI and $125 or cheaper?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good indoor PTZ (that is isn't wall/ceiling mounted) with 3-5mp, some zoom and plays well with BI and $125 or cheaper?
I recommend the Amcrest IP3M-941(re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 2K/3MP, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless (dual band!) and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Also has slot for SD card. The user manual is here.

I've installed 1 of the 1080p version (IP2M-841) and 5 of the 720p version (IPM-721) at 5 locations in 3 years and all have been running without a hiccup.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recommend the Amcrest IP3M-941(re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 2K/3MP, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless (dual band!) and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Also has slot for SD card. The user manual is here.

I've installed 1 of the 1080p version (IP2M-841) and 5 of the 720p version (IPM-721) at 5 locations in 3 years and all have been running without a hiccup.
I'm actually trying to replace an Amcrest IP2M-841 right now. Decent little cheap camera but this one regularly loses wifi connection for minutes, mostly hours. Works well straight Ethernet connection though. I've always know this camera (and Amcrest) are low end, but cheap and occasionally problematic cams. Good for the price and if you get a good one then it's great but their QC must be non-existent.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've always know this camera (and Amcrest) are low end, but cheap and occasionally problematic cams.
I don't agree with that but you're entitled to your opinion. I've owned Foscam, Trendnet, Zonet, Zmodo, D-Link, Wanscam and others and have found the Amcrest comparatively reliable and value-packed.
All wireless cams are subject to interference, some more than others. The most secure and reliable way to utilize a surveillance camera is wired.

With a high-power Ubiquiti UniFi AP I have had VERY few glitches with my IP2M-841 over the last 6 months....very pleased with it.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Nice little cam. The only thing it is missing is an alarm feature.

Is this more secure than the arlo in terms of security flaws? I am trying to get a few family members to switch from Arlo ( https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Security-Storage-Included-VMC3040/dp/B017B2043W ) but they are too stubborn. I think this might change their minds as it is less expensive.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't agree with that but you're entitled to your opinion. I've owned Foscam, Trendnet, Zonet, Zmodo, D-Link, Wanscam and others and have found the Amcrest comparatively reliable and value-packed.
All wireless cams are subject to interference, some more than others. The most secure and reliable way to utilize a surveillance camera is wired.

With a high-power Ubiquiti UniFi AP I have had VERY few glitches with my IP2M-841 over the last 6 months....very pleased with it.
Yep, I have a similar setup (Ubiquiti UniFi AP) and have also had most of the cameras you mentioned and have had the most problems with Amcrest/Foscam but they are what they are in my opinion. I generally guy Dahua, Hikvision but still have a couple of Foscam/Amcrest but don't use them for anything I depend on. Again, my opinion, experience.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I have a similar setup (Ubiquiti UniFi AP) and have also had most of the cameras you mentioned and have had the most problems with Amcrest/Foscam but they are what they are in my opinion. I generally guy Dahua, Hikvision but still have a couple of Foscam/Amcrest but don't use them for anything I depend on. Again, my opinion, experience.
Good to know. The last thing I want to do is push this cam and then they have drops. Right now the arlo q never goes out and no issues they say.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why you are writing "Amcrest/Foscam"....although Foscam joined Amcrest in 2016, Dahua is the OEM for Amcrest. However, I have installed about 20 Amcrest cameras and 4 NVR's and have not experienced a single failure over that 4 year period.

Perhaps it's because I verbally threatened to throw then in a garbage dump if they gave me any grief or maybe it's because I'm an old fart and just a nice guy that they feel sorry for me, I don't know....but the Amcrests have been good to me. Maybe I should also take several grand to Vegas and try my luck there as well! :highfive:

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure why you are writing "Amcrest/Foscam"....although Foscam joined Amcrest in 2016, Dahua is the OEM for Amcrest. However, I have installed about 20 Amcrest cameras and 4 NVR's and have not experienced a single failure over that 4 year period.

Perhaps it's because I verbally threatened to throw then in a garbage dump if they gave me any grief or maybe it's because I'm an old fart and just a nice guy that they feel sorry for me, I don't know....but the Amcrests have been good to me. Maybe I should also take several grand to Vegas and try my luck there as well! :highfive:
Well, several years ago before there was an Amcrest (in Houston) I had bought 2-3 Foscam cameras, when I was inexperienced in ip cameras. Had issues with them and over the course of a year or two received an email from "Amcrest" out of the blue, stating something to the effect they had "split off" from FOSCAM and started up in Houston and basically it was an email sales pitch. I bought 1-2 cameras from them, maybe around 2014ish (maybe earlier, not sure now). I recall them telling me about quick ship times from Houston, improved cameras, better support, etc. I think I personally believed at that time that FOSCAM just started a US based operations and called it Amcrest since their cameras (at least back then) looked identical and firmware was either identical or very close to each others. I haven't put that much effort into finding out the difference between the two, affiliations, etc., but I do recall what I said from that email from Amcrest. So I guess in my eyes I consider them the same until I know differently because a lot of Chinese companies aren't exactly on the up and up on what's up, if you know what I mean.

Last edited: