Reolink is bad, but is Annke better?

manocormen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to buy my very first POE cameras for my recent Blue Iris server build.

Where I live, Reolink and Annke seem to be the only two viable options. Most other brands commonly mentioned here are either unavailable, overpriced, or sold through small websites I'd rather not rely on.

Initially, I was going to go for a couple of Reolink RLC-810A. I knew about their poor performance at night, but I didn't mind that, since they'll be pointed at an area that is well-lit even at night.

But then, I came across the threads mentioning compatibility issues between Reolink and Blue Iris --- lag, stutter, image artifacts --- seemingly related to substreams, h.264/265, RTSP, fixed frame rate, iframe... Weirdly, these issues don't seem to impact some people, and they may or may not be solved by an upcoming firmware from Reolink.

This all gave me pause, so I started looking at Annke and their C800 camera. But reading through Amazon reviews, people also complained about their Blue Iris compatibility, and some complaints sounded a lot like those about Reolink. So now I wonder if Annke might suffer from the same issues, but we just don't hear about them as much because Reolink sells more.

So I'm not sure which to buy anymore.

What do you think? Can someone vouch for Annke and the C800 regarding Blue Iris compatibility?

(If useful, the config I have in mind is main + substreams, h.265, basic AI-detection, with Blue Iris running on 13th gen Intel-based server)

Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stick with International version's of Dahua or Hikvision cameras.
Since you don't say what region you are from, which always helps for recommendations,
We have a trusted vendor that is a member here, that ships most anywhere in the world.
EmpireTech Andy | IP Cam Talk
EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to buy my very first POE cameras for my recent Blue Iris server build.

Where I live, Reolink and Annke seem to be the only two viable options. Most other brands commonly mentioned here are either unavailable, overpriced, or sold through small websites I'd rather not rely on.

Initially, I was going to go for a couple of Reolink RLC-810A. I knew about their poor performance at night, but I didn't mind that, since they'll be pointed at an area that is well-lit even at night.

But then, I came across the threads mentioning compatibility issues between Reolink and Blue Iris --- lag, stutter, image artifacts --- seemingly related to substreams, h.264/265, RTSP, fixed frame rate, iframe... Weirdly, these issues don't seem to impact some people, and they may or may not be solved by an upcoming firmware from Reolink.

This all gave me pause, so I started looking at Annke and their C800 camera. But reading through Amazon reviews, people also complained about their Blue Iris compatibility, and some complaints sounded a lot like those about Reolink. So now I wonder if Annke might suffer from the same issues, but we just don't hear about them as much because Reolink sells more.

So I'm not sure which to buy anymore.

What do you think? Can someone vouch for Annke and the C800 regarding Blue Iris compatibility?

(If useful, the config I have in mind is main + substreams, h.265, basic AI-detection, with Blue Iris running on 13th gen Intel-based server)

Thanks.
Hi manocormen

Annke .. I know some of their models are Hikvision OEM .. there was a nice Hikvision 2MP cube camera many liked here that was a Annke rebrand of Hikvision ( OEM ) .. that Annke had old firmware on and members had to update the firmware to reduce security holes .. after that it was a nice camera to have.

Some of Annke more affordable cameras can only handle H265 .. thus I suspect that is not as good as H264 for some 3rd party algorithms ... thus I would look for cameras that can handle both H264 and H265 and the usual ONVIF standards ( rtsp .. )

Annke I have noticed does have some good quality Hikvision OEM cameras as well as other low cost cameras which I would try to avoid ( smaller sensor .. H265 only )

re: Amazon reviews

For security camera, do be cautious as many Amazon Reviewers ( and reviews at other sites which are not security camera related ) tend to have reviewers who know little about the subject matter, and thus you get poor quality reviews on both extremes .. ( high star ratings, and low star ratings )

Last edited: