Reolink or Amcrest

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Avoid Reolink...period. Do a search in upper right corner for "reolink" and you soon know why.
  • Amrests are re-branded Dahua, a good thing.
  • If you can avoid a bullet, do so as they attract spiders and their webs....turret-style best form factor.
  • Don't get caught up in megapixels, as low light performance generally suffers.
  • I highly recommend the 2MP Dahua Starlight turrets or the comparable Hikvison Darkfighter series.
Welcome to IPCT and if you have not done so, please read the Wiki up top with lots of focus (pun intended) on the Cliff Notes.

sashk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR.

Avoid Reolink...period. Do a search in upper right corner for "reolink" and you soon know why.
I have two reolinks and they are ok, except the spiders :) I did search and found mostly "avoid reolink" messages, but didn't find a reason.

Do turrets have an option to rotate video 90 degrees?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have two reolinks and they are ok, except the spiders :) I did search and found mostly "avoid reolink" messages, but didn't find a reason.
Please read this post from @fenderman 2 weeks ago here.

Do turrets have an option to rotate video 90 degrees?
Most likely they do, as mine do...one's a Dahua turret, the other is a re-branded Hikvision.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to add a new camera and can't make my decision: Reolink B800 or Amcrest IP8M-2496EW-28MM.

Any suggestion?
Welcome @sashk

I highly recommend taking some time and reviewing the great reviews members are doing on various cameras.

While I bought the black version of that Amcrest camera ( got a great deal on it ), at $115 ( current price ) I believe you can find some significantly better models right now for not much more from Andy ( empiretecandy here on the forum ).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a reolink wireless for about 2 days and sent it back. No matter what, it wouldn't stay connected but even worse was their tech support. Then I had an Amcrest wireless and it wouldnt stay connected either but at least their tech support was good enough. Eventually returned it as well and gave in to running ethernet. As for Amcrest, I have 3 of the them running now (2 domes and an inside PTZ) and they're ok but I have seen better cheaper imho. The amcrest were the first I bought. Also I just updated the FW on the PTZ today and found that I can't remove the Amcrest watermark like I once could. Amcrest logo can no longer be removed? That just seems wrong to me. I plan on contacting tech support tomorrow and double checking. Overall I have to say I'm happier so far w/ the LaView cams I just got than my Amcrests. Time will tell though.

Update - just spoke w/ Amcrest tech support and they're working on another update that will allow this company watermark to be removed again. I told them I was afraid that they were going to do this to all cameras and they assured me that they were not and this happening was by accident.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looney, is it possible to flash an Amcrest with Dahua firmware to get those features back?
Hi @area651

I have not seen ( iirc ) members sharing a how to on that yet. Suspect while some of the cameras are related to some Dahua OEM international ones, you'd need to confirm the hardware actually is the same or similar enough so that you can do that successfully.

IF you do find notes on updating Amcrest models with Dahua OEM firmware, please do come back and share that here.