ReoLink RLC 1220a work with Blue Iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess my Reolink cameras are different as they work fine using BI... Running a RLC-522 and an RC-511. Not the best quality camera, and when they die, I would not replace them with Reolink. But when working, they probably have the best IR coverage for ANY camera I have. Including a Dahua camera I have cost 6 times more. The software options are minimal and you cannot set the iframe rates. But for $50... It's ok. But, they do work with Blue Iris.

Reolink cameras will not last as my RC-511 was replaced under warranty 3 times. Quality is just not good.
You failed to read my post. You too are a basic blue iris user and are not using the full feature set of BI so you cannot tell that the camera firmware is defective and are misleading others who will have issues should they use reolink cameras. Take the time to read the blue iris help file. It clearly explains why you need to be able to set the key frame interval in the cameras firmware - reolink does not permit this. IR coverage is meaningless if the sensor is bad and if reolink screws with the exposure to make static images appear good but movement look like crap. The company lies and spams.

Reaction score
Does anyone have comformation if the RLC 1220a works with B.I?
I have been using 3 Reolink cameras with my paid version of Blue Iris software ( amazing software I must also add ) and these cameras work flawlessly. I have 1 camera that is just 1080p, the other 2 are have a 4X optical zoom on them. As I type this, I'm looking at them right now. Blue Iris set them up in seconds. Up until last summer I was using the Hikovision software for my Swann cameras, and then finally took the plunge for Blue Iris. That Hikovision software does NOT support the ReoLink cameras at all. It won't even "see" them, with all the correct plugged into that software, so I got rid of it. P.S. - New SWANN cameras do NOT work with Blue Iris, they have changed this so their cameras only work with their boxes. ReoLink by the way - super impressed with the quality, it's super crisp !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using 3 Reolink cameras with my paid version of Blue Iris software ( amazing software I must also add ) and these cameras work flawlessly. I have 1 camera that is just 1080p, the other 2 are have a 4X optical zoom on them. As I type this, I'm looking at them right now. Blue Iris set them up in seconds. Up until last summer I was using the Hikovision software for my Swann cameras, and then finally took the plunge for Blue Iris. That Hikovision software does NOT support the ReoLink cameras at all. It won't even "see" them, with all the correct plugged into that software, so I got rid of it. P.S. - New SWANN cameras do NOT work with Blue Iris, they have changed this so their cameras only work with their boxes. ReoLink by the way - super impressed with the quality, it's super crisp !
Reolink does not sell a camera with a sensor that will give you "super crisp" image quality at night. You too are a basic blue iris user and are not using the full feature set of BI so you cannot tell that the camera firmware is defective and are misleading others who will have issues should they use reolink cameras. Take the time to read the blue iris help file. It clearly explains why you need to be able to set the key frame interval in the cameras firmware - reolink does not permit this. IR coverage is meaningless if the sensor is bad and if reolink screws with the exposure to make static images appear good but movement look like crap. The company lies and spams.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You failed to read my post. You too are a basic blue iris user and are not using the full feature set of BI so you cannot tell that the camera firmware is defective and are misleading others who will have issues should they use reolink cameras. Take the time to read the blue iris help file. It clearly explains why you need to be able to set the key frame interval in the cameras firmware - reolink does not permit this. IR coverage is meaningless if the sensor is bad and if reolink screws with the exposure to make static images appear good but movement look like crap. The company lies and spams.
Probably true... but your statement "No reolink camera will properly work with blue iris" is not valid.... Reolink does work, but cannot use advanced functions like other cameras. I can add a Reolink camera to BI and it works ok. It will capture alerts and for many, that's what they want.

So will Reolink cameras work with Blue Iris? Yes they will with limitations.... A more accurate description than "No reolink camera will properly work with blue iris."

Reaction score
Reolink does not sell a camera with a sensor that will give you "super crisp" image quality at night. You too are a basic blue iris user and are not using the full feature set of BI so you cannot tell that the camera firmware is defective and are misleading others who will have issues should they use reolink cameras. Take the time to read the blue iris help file. It clearly explains why you need to be able to set the key frame interval in the cameras firmware - reolink does not permit this. IR coverage is meaningless if the sensor is bad and if reolink screws with the exposure to make static images appear good but movement look like crap. The company lies and spams.
Good morning fenderman, I certainly don't want to give bad info, and yes, you are 100% correct, I'm a new / light user of Blue Iris. When I say it's crisp, I'm talking about the day time. I use my cameras to see what's going on outside the front of my home. As long as I can see pretty crisp video on my computer monitor, I'm happy. I have no clue how to check these advanced settings though, I'll be honest about this. I have not invested a lot into these cameras, and would like to know what cameras you would suggest that won't break the bank for future purchases. Please delete my comments also, as I don't want to be the spreader of bad info. For me, the camreas ( all 3 ) are working and I can see very clearly with them, and for me this works. Thanks for your input, I'm always happy to learn. I've only been using B. I. for less than a year, and am an newbie and will always be I guess. Please give your suggestions for a better camera, I'm willing to pop some $ out to try something new.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably true... but your statement "No reolink camera will properly work with blue iris" is not valid.... Reolink does work, but cannot use advanced functions like other cameras. I can add a Reolink camera to BI and it works ok. It will capture alerts and for many, that's what they want.

So will Reolink cameras work with Blue Iris? Yes they will with limitations.... A more accurate description than "No reolink camera will properly work with blue iris."
It is certainly valid. Missing video when using motion recording because reolink decided to randomly adjust the iframe interval is not acceptable. The substream function significantly reduces cpu usage to the point where it has become an essential function both with respect for cost of the system to be used as wells as power consumption.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink is at the bottom end of the spectrum. Yes, they can have nice looking video during the day, but even then they are playing tricks to accomplish that with low end sensors. At night it gets bad very quickly. Sure, a still image will look great, but any motion ends up as a ghosted, useless, image. The frame and iframe rates drop very low, especially at night, as their "wonderful" firmware decides it's not necessary to send full rates. If you don't believe that, open the lightning bolt, upper left on the BI console, and then go to the "cameras" tab. Look at what those "wonderful" Reolink cameras are doing.

I don't consider myself to be an expert on video surveillance but I do use BI and many of its "advanced" features. The only way I could get a Reolink camera to even start to work properly was to raise the resolution and frame rates as high as they could go. Even then, motion events were missed BECAUSE THE FRAME AND IFRAME RATES WERE TOO LOW, ESPECIALLY THE IFRAME RATE.

The bottom line is that Reolink is bottom of the barrel, poor consumer grade crap.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agree that Reolink is a poor quality camera. Probably most cameras under $100.00 may fall into the same category. Many people are not into professional grade cameras and will settle for basic functions that work. I have a mix bag of Dahua and other cameras. My old Reolink cameras will probably stay until they die and I would not replace them with another Reolink. But for where my Reolink cameras are, they work ok. I've attached a video with a coyote in it. It was exported from BI. Understand that this camera has no light other than the IR that comes with the camera. Also, this camera is pushing 4 years old. Reolink and most sub $100 cameras sux for heavy movement @ night. But for this use... It does fine. So IMO... A sub $100 camera can be used in some situations with adequate results.

On the other side.. I've had nothing but bad luck with Amcrest and would not recommend them. Took down 2 a few months ago and tossed them in a box that went to GoodWill. For me, Amcrest and Reolink are the same quality. Amcrest just charges more for the same quality.

Your results may vary.......

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning fenderman, I certainly don't want to give bad info, and yes, you are 100% correct, I'm a new / light user of Blue Iris. When I say it's crisp, I'm talking about the day time. I use my cameras to see what's going on outside the front of my home. As long as I can see pretty crisp video on my computer monitor, I'm happy. I have no clue how to check these advanced settings though, I'll be honest about this. I have not invested a lot into these cameras, and would like to know what cameras you would suggest that won't break the bank for future purchases. Please delete my comments also, as I don't want to be the spreader of bad info. For me, the camreas ( all 3 ) are working and I can see very clearly with them, and for me this works. Thanks for your input, I'm always happy to learn. I've only been using B. I. for less than a year, and am an newbie and will always be I guess. Please give your suggestions for a better camera, I'm willing to pop some $ out to try something new.
Study this attachement:

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agree that Reolink is a poor quality camera. Probably most cameras under $100.00 may fall into the same category. Many people are not into professional grade cameras and will settle for basic functions that work. I have a mix bag of Dahua and other cameras. My old Reolink cameras will probably stay until they die and I would not replace them with another Reolink. But for where my Reolink cameras are, they work ok. I've attached a video with a coyote in it. It was exported from BI. Understand that this camera has no light other than the IR that comes with the camera. Also, this camera is pushing 4 years old. Reolink and most sub $100 cameras sux for heavy movement @ night. But for this use... It does fine. So IMO... A sub $100 camera can be used in some situations with adequate results.

On the other side.. I've had nothing but bad luck with Amcrest and would not recommend them. Took down 2 a few months ago and tossed them in a box that went to GoodWill. For me, Amcrest and Reolink are the same quality. Amcrest just charges more for the same quality.

There are many cameras at and below the $100 mark that will put Reolink to shame.
Stick with Dahua and Hikvision cams.
Amcrest makes nothing, they are rebranded Dahua with features removed.
You also need to choose the proper camera for the situation, not just throw any camera up.
Study this: Cliff Notes.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

FYI - example: the Amcrest 5MP turret that currently can be found for about $45-60 completely beats Reolink's cameras for just a little more money when comparing image captures.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI - example: the Amcrest 5MP turret that currently can be found for about $45-60 completely beats Reolink's cameras for just a little more money when comparing image captures.
It might be me... But I've have had no luck with Amcrest cameras. Also it seems many of the ones listed on Amazon, have a comment on them that Amcrest only supports them if you use them on an Amcrest NVR.

A few years ago, I purchased an Amcrest 16 channel NVR (from Amazon) and it would not connect to my network. Called Amcrest and was told the unit is no longer supported. The seller was Amcrest. Boxed and back to Amazon it went. They did offer to send me an updated NVR for less than Amazon, but the guy was honest and told me that it also would NOT be getting any updates as they are not making 16 channel NVR's anymore. I passed on it and purchased a Hikvision NVR. That unit was still running when I retired it a few months ago. Was a better decision as the Hikvision handled analog AND IP camera's.

The last Reolink camera I had went back to Amazon as it was a POS plastic that twisted a quarter of the turn to mount. Guess how easy it would be to remove by someone... I'll keep the 2 I have until they die... No plans on buying anymore, and no plans on buying any Amcrest products.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It might be me... But I've have had no luck with Amcrest cameras. Also it seems many of the ones listed on Amazon, have a comment on them that Amcrest only supports them if you use them on an Amcrest NVR.

A few years ago, I purchased an Amcrest 16 channel NVR (from Amazon) and it would not connect to my network. Called Amcrest and was told the unit is no longer supported. The seller was Amcrest. Boxed and back to Amazon it went. They did offer to send me an updated NVR for less than Amazon, but the guy was honest and told me that it also would NOT be getting any updates as they are not making 16 channel NVR's anymore. I passed on it and purchased a Hikvision NVR. That unit was still running when I retired it a few months ago. Was a better decision as the Hikvision handled analog AND IP camera's.

The last Reolink camera I had went back to Amazon as it was a POS plastic that twisted a quarter of the turn to mount. Guess how easy it would be to remove by someone... I'll keep the 2 I have until they die... No plans on buying anymore, and no plans on buying any Amcrest products.
Hi @Tommyt79

I've had no issues getting Amcrest IP PoE cameras to work with my Dahua OEM NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The last Reolink camera I had went back to Amazon as it was a POS plastic that twisted a quarter of the turn to mount.
I think you meant Amcrest and not Reolink.

FWIW, I personally have 6 Amcrests for 3 years, no issues with cams on Blue Iris.
I installed 3 Amcrest indoor cams on a Blue Iris PC at a commercial client's place 3 years ago, no problems with cams.
I have also installed 4 Amcrest outdoor POE cams and an Amcrest POE NVR 4 years ago at a client's place, working great still, she recently said.
Also installed 4 Amcrest outdoor POE cams and an Amcrest POE NVR 2 years ago at another client's place, working great still, he recently said.

Apparently, "YMMV" applies here. :cool:

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @Tommyt79

I've had no issues getting Amcrest IP PoE cameras to work with my Dahua OEM NVR.
That's great.. But I was commenting about some Amcrest cameras listed on Amazon. Amcrest bluntly states they will not support some cameras unless you are using their NVR. Not my opinion... Just fact. Also, it's possible if you needed to call Amcrest for support they may not provide support unless you are using an Amcrest NVR with your Amcrest camera. In most cases, we never need support... But if you do... You might not get it.

Amcrest ran me off selling a NVR on Amazon that they no longer support. Not sure I would buy another Amcrest camera. Just junked the last 2 as the IR coverage was crap. One hot spot and the rest was dark. Someone @ my local Goodwill can use them.

Other options are available. Seems folks here are buying Amcrest cameras and installing Dahua firmware, so support is really not an issue as Amcrest wouldn't touch them. So you can probably buy an OK Amcrest camera, but have to hack it to make it usable. I would probably do the same thing if I had one.

Nice thing is we all have options and for now, I think I'll stick with Dahua and Hikvision. AND my 2 old Reolink until they die.

Be Safe...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's great.. But I was commenting about some Amcrest cameras listed on Amazon. Amcrest bluntly states they will not support some cameras unless you are using their NVR. Not my opinion... Just fact..
Hi @Tommyt79

Of course: which company wants to train their customer service and tech support to help integrate their products with products which they have no control of?

Serious question. If you were the head of a company, would you want to pay your staff to learn more to work with competitor's products?
( sometimes it does make sense - depends on market share and value.. but in general for the price of a $50-100 camera .. probably not gonna get an ROI training your team to get that camera to work with someone else's NVR )

For example if Amcrest stated their cameras work with Lorex Dahua OEM NVRs.. well, not all Lorex NVRs are Dahua OEM... would you want to have your team learn and deal with unhappy customers who can not properly ID the OEM of the Lorex NVR they bought?

What about the LaView brand.. well they've had at least 3 different OEMs.. one is Dahua OEM for the LaView Saturn line.

How about Q-see? Some are Dahua OEM NVRs / Cameras, .. and others are not. Also the one's which are Dahua OEM iirc are configured slightly different...

Ok how about Swann.. well they've had Hikvision and another OEM ( RaySharp iirc ).

Major headache for any vendor to claim they can support other vendors products.. just a pita for customer service and tech support.

Easier to just state: "Our products work with our products".

Now, we here - know much more than many tech support and customer service with regards to mixing and matching different brands. This is thanks to the members sharing their extensive experience and knowledge - allowing people to tinker and find ways to integrate good IP cameras with Blue Iris and other NVRs / VMSes.