Replace my Lorex 4K (lnb8005) with a starlight (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, can anyone help me?

1. I ran cat 6 and installed the Lorex kit from Costco. The six cameras from the kit run fine...plug and play.

2. I also installed two Dahua HDW5231R-Z cameras that I bought from Andy and connected to my NVR.
I get an error message of "conf. login error no-18"

3. I was told by Andy to activate the Onvif and use IP address of 192.168.1.108. However, when I plug in the Dahua cameras directly to my router and type in 192.168.1.108 on my desktop, I don't see anything pop up. My network starts with a 10.x.x.x. Does that matter?

Can anyone help guide me to be able to use these two Dahua cameras? It was rather disappointing to not be able to see them work.

Thank you so much!
Welcome Onetimejc,

Did you read the earlier posts?

Replace my Lorex 4K (lnb8005) with a starlight (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

If you picked up the Lorex 4K 6x camera kit mentioned in this post then that is a Dahua OEM NVR and you can get it to work with the Dahua OEM starlights without using ONVIF settings.

At this point it is a question of setting the right IP addresses and username / password and port(s). Once configured you should be able to set the NVR up and plug the cameras into the NVR's PoE ports and it should work. ( Lorex does not support the IVS features which the cameras can do, however that should be a OK compromise as you're saving some good money going this route )

onetimejc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mat200, thanks. I did kind or rush through the posts. I will take a look at fournier's post and try and follow. Thank you.

onetimejc

n3wb
Reaction score
I followed Fournier's directions and finally was able to "activate" and see my cameras off of the Lorex NVR. Thank you very much.

The only issue I have now is that when I go into my display of 9 camera views, only the Lorex branded cameras show their view. The starlight cameras on the screen are just blacked out. It is only when I click on the starlight camera is when I see what the camera sees.

Is there something I need to change in my settings? Thank you again for all the help in this forum. I can see how the starlight cameras blow away the Lorex stock bullet cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I followed Fournier's directions and finally was able to "activate" and see my cameras off of the Lorex NVR. Thank you very much.

The only issue I have now is that when I go into my display of 9 camera views, only the Lorex branded cameras show their view. The starlight cameras on the screen are just blacked out. It is only when I click on the starlight camera is when I see what the camera sees.

Is there something I need to change in my settings? Thank you again for all the help in this forum. I can see how the starlight cameras blow away the Lorex stock bullet cameras.
Hi onetimejc,

I recall seeing this issue posted previously, don' recall the solution.

Suspect it is due to a substream ( lower res ) needed for the NVR. Check that the camera is sending a substream to the NVR, also search the Lorex / Dahua OEM starlight related threads here for others who have experienced this and see what they've noted.

Fourier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Hey onetimejc, I had that issue too. I don’t remember the exact resolution to the problem. I believe @mat200 is correct and it’s a substream issue. I believe the Lorex cameras only have a main stream (left) and single substream (right) settings while I think the Dahua has a third substream. On the right hand side where you set the substream settings for the Dahua I believe there is a drop down to toggle between the two sub streams. I would check those settings and see if that fixes it. I’m not sure which of he two substreams the monitor display uses, one may even be called “display”.

If you still have an issue I’ll hope on my nvr and check the settings. Good luck!

Arkangel86

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Dane Zellers yes, I had similar issues for a while. 1080p monitor and nvr set to dispatch 1080p but it kept going black in the small view (9 view) and but would show up sometimes when I went to single. I origanlly set it to h265 like the Lorex (not default) but changed just the starlight to 264 and I believe it started displaying again. I made those changes in the nvr itself. Occasionally, I noticed some settings wouldn’t retain but they all seem to be good now.

When I first connected the camera I had the option for 50fps in 1080p but at some point it only gave me the option of 25fps in 1080p, which is what I have it set on now. I disconnected the camera a few times and reset the nvr. As for the switching to night/day, i will have to go back and look because I don’t remember if there was a sensitivity setting. I left the settings on default and it’s been behaving well, even when my 5k lumens floodlights turn on (my neighbors probably hate me). The only setting I changed was the time it waits to switch after it detects it needs to go into night mode or vice versus, the default was 6sec and I changed it to 2sec.

@trucams I agree completely, I really like the 4K, but definitely glad I picked up this starlight. Especially for watching the cars at night.

@mat200 @ulikeme if I recall correctly, I believe the starlight has the static up of 192.168.1.100 (or similair) the nvr is set to dhcp on the 10.10.x.x I just plugged my laptop into one of the Ethernet ports and tried to connect to the starlight’s static IP address but I don’t think that worked. Next I tried looking at the “remote device” page on the nvr, there I saw the camera as well as a 10.10.x.x IP address assigned to it. I used that address to connect to the camera. I was promoted to create a new password and the. I could connect to the camera using the laptop. Once I logged into the camera, I switched it from static to dhcp under the network>tcp/ip tab. From there I tried to match the Lorex settings because to be honest I don’t know what half the stuff means. Under the “port” tab i updated to the same values as the Lorex cameras ( Lorex default was 35000 and the starlight was 37777 or 37000). Once that was complete, I went to remote device again, I could still see the camera and I connected to it using the new password.

@Fourier when you say you connected your laptop to the ethernet port, on your router?

Mark P

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in this same situation.
I bought a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE to add to my Lorex 4K 8-camera kit.
I plugged it into NVR thinking it would just work. No dice.
I do see it in the "Remote Device" section in NVR, and it shows it with a 10.1.1.67 IP address. It shows it as not actived as indicated by the red dot instead of green dot. If I edit the entry, I don't see much of value that I can alter. I also changed the port from 37777 to 35000 just to be the like the other Lorex cameras. There's a password field and I think I'm *assigning* a password there? I don't see any action I can take there which does anything good. In the "Remove Device" page, if I click on that camera and then "Add", it'll now have duplicate entries in the lower part of that form, but now with "35000" instead of the Port# of the enthernet connection on back of NVR. That doesn't seem to lead anywhere either.
I later tried connecting the camera directly to my switch and then tried the supposed default 192.168.1.108 in IE on a computer on same network, but nothing loaded.
Then I found this thread and saw the below quote. I tried going to 10.1.1.67 in IE on my PC with the camera connected to the NVR, then also again with it plugged directly into Switch. Neither got anywhere.

@Fourier can you clarify what you did here. What exactly did you do when you said "I used that address to connect to the camera"?:
"Next I tried looking at the “remote device” page on the nvr, there I saw the camera as well as a 10.10.x.x IP address assigned to it. I used that address to connect to the camera. I was promoted to create a new password and the. I could connect to the camera using the laptop. "

Thanks,
Mark

Fourier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Mark P hey, maybe another user can better guide you, but to clarify... the camera has the default 192.168.x.x address but I believe the dhcp on the nvr assigned it a 10.10.x.x address. I found that ip address on remote device. With the laptop and camera both connected to the nvr via Ethernet, I was able to log into the camera.

I would imagine if the default dhcp that your switch is connected to is 192.168.x.x, you would be able to log into the camera. Can you scan the network and see the listed devices to see if the camera is detected?

Mark P

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I was able to get it working!
I had to plug my PC into the NVR to allow the Config Tool to see the cameras (that are plugged into NVR).
When I had PC and Camera plugged into a POE Switch, Config Tool wouldn't see camera (maybe because of IP Address).
Then I could use IE to go to IP Address to successfully access web page via IP Address and set new password, then use that in NVR.
Had to do some other config too which I'll update tomorrow...
Thanks!

Mark P

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's my experience in case it helps others:

I bought a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy to add to my Lorex 4K 8-camera kit.

I have a cable modem > router (non-wifi) > POE Switch > LOREX/Dahua NVR
Cameras are plugged into NVR, everything else hardwired in house goes into Switch.

I plugged the camera into NVR thinking it would just work. No dice. When viewing that camera in the NVR it said "10.1.1.67 conf.LoginErrorNo-18" on otherwise black screen. I believe I saw the same on the FlirCloud software on my PC.

I do see it in the "Remote Device" section in NVR, and it shows it with a 10.1.1.67 IP address. It shows it as not activated as indicated by the red dot instead of green dot. If I edit the entry, I don't see much of value that I can alter. I tried changing the port from 37777 to 35000 just to be the like the other Lorex cameras, but that didn't seem to do anything. It wasn't clear to me if that password field was for me to *assign* a password or enter one. In hindsight, I see that it's to enter the one that you need to set in the camera directly. I also tried to do a search in the top half of that page, and once found, click on that camera and then "Add". That lead to duplicate entries in the lower part of that form, but now with "35000" instead of the Port# (of the enthernet connection on back of NVR.) That doesn't seem to lead anywhere either.

I then connected the camera directly to my Switch and then tried the supposed default 192.168.1.108 in IE (and Chrome) on a PC plugged into the Switch, but nothing loaded in the webpage (it just timed out).

I also installed the Config Tool on my PC and that only found the NVR, not this camera (I wondered if it should find the other cameras plugged into the NVR, but wasn't sure).

I checked my router management page and this camera did not show up as connect (MAC address wasn't listed). I removed all other devices from Switch leaving just PC and Camera into Switch and the router identified the Switch and PC as present, but not the Camera. (Somewhere after this I believe I plugged everything back in, but don't recall exactly.)

I then tried going to 10.1.1.67 in IE (and Chrome) on my PC (connected to Switch) with the camera connected to the NVR, then also again with camera plugged directly into Switch. Neither got anywhere.

I then tried resetting the camera, thinking maybe the NVR changed the IP address to 10.* and that it needed to be back to 192.168.* for me to be able to access it when both it and the PC are both plugged into the Switch. I opened it up carefully and held down the reset button until the green LED went out and tried again with IE/Chrome using 192.168.1.108 with both Camera and PC connected to Switch, but still didn't work. I probably had NVR connected to Switch also at that point so I wonder if the NVR accessed the Camera through the Switch, quicker than I did, and put it back to 10.*. I'm not sure.

Checking back to the "Remote Device" section in NVR, I saw the camera again with 10.* just like before.

Now this time, I plugged my PC into the NVR, and also the Camera into the NVR. Now both the Config Tool and a webpage opened to 10.1.1.67 in IE were able to access this camera (as well as all cameras plugged into NVR).

Now I was able to create a new password for the Camera in the webpage, login to the webpage and see the feed, settings, etc.

As I went back to the NVR, I now noticed screen had a different error message for that camera. It now said something about "lockout" maybe referencing "password", I don't recall.

Then I went back to "Remote Device" section in NVR, edited the camera entry with the new password I just set in it through web interface, then some amount of time (minutes?) later it showed up. I tested another camera and putting in a wrong password in the Remote Device page, and then correcting it resulted in the camera quickly connecting and status icon during green. However with the new camera and first time entering the new password, it took notably longer to connect, maybe a minute or more. Those were tense moments with fingers crossed, but all worked out.

I then resulted in a black screen view for that camera in some situations (>4 in a grid?, remote viewing, etc). I went in to the Camera Settings and set the FPS to 15 in both the Main Stream as well as Substream #1 (which were both enabled already), and then also enabled Substream #2 (Called "Display Stream" in some interfaces) and set to 15 FPS as well. I modified some other setting as well to match the other LOREX cameras, but I believe this is what allowed me to view the Camera, which now shows up in all situations same as other cameras (various grid configurations directly in NVR monitor, various grid configurations in FlirCloud viewing from PC, and also in Lorex Secure Android App.)

Hope this helps others in similar situation.

Regards,
Mark

PS - When I buy the next camera, I will remove the NVR from the network and plug the Camera directly into the Switch and see if I can access it with the supposed default 192.168.1.108 IP via webpage.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Here's my experience in case it helps others:

I bought a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy to add to my Lorex 4K 8-camera kit.

I have a cable modem > router (non-wifi) > POE Switch > LOREX/Dahua NVR
Cameras are plugged into NVR, everything else hardwired in house goes into Switch.

I plugged the camera into NVR thinking it would just work. No dice. When viewing that camera in the NVR it said "10.1.1.67 conf.LoginErrorNo-18" on otherwise black screen. I believe I saw the same on the FlirCloud software on my PC.

I do see it in the "Remote Device" section in NVR, and it shows it with a 10.1.1.67 IP address. It shows it as not activated as indicated by the red dot instead of green dot. If I edit the entry, I don't see much of value that I can alter. I tried changing the port from 37777 to 35000 just to be the like the other Lorex cameras, but that didn't seem to do anything. It wasn't clear to me if that password field was for me to *assign* a password or enter one. In hindsight, I see that it's to enter the one that you need to set in the camera directly. I also tried to do a search in the top half of that page, and once found, click on that camera and then "Add". That lead to duplicate entries in the lower part of that form, but now with "35000" instead of the Port# (of the enthernet connection on back of NVR.) That doesn't seem to lead anywhere either.

I then connected the camera directly to my Switch and then tried the supposed default 192.168.1.108 in IE (and Chrome) on a PC plugged into the Switch, but nothing loaded in the webpage (it just timed out).

I also installed the Config Tool on my PC and that only found the NVR, not this camera (I wondered if it should find the other cameras plugged into the NVR, but wasn't sure).

I checked my router management page and this camera did not show up as connect (MAC address wasn't listed). I removed all other devices from Switch leaving just PC and Camera into Switch and the router identified the Switch and PC as present, but not the Camera. (Somewhere after this I believe I plugged everything back in, but don't recall exactly.)

I then tried going to 10.1.1.67 in IE (and Chrome) on my PC (connected to Switch) with the camera connected to the NVR, then also again with camera plugged directly into Switch. Neither got anywhere.

I then tried resetting the camera, thinking maybe the NVR changed the IP address to 10.* and that it needed to be back to 192.168.* for me to be able to access it when both it and the PC are both plugged into the Switch. I opened it up carefully and held down the reset button until the green LED went out and tried again with IE/Chrome using 192.168.1.108 with both Camera and PC connected to Switch, but still didn't work. I probably had NVR connected to Switch also at that point so I wonder if the NVR accessed the Camera through the Switch, quicker than I did, and put it back to 10.*. I'm not sure.

Checking back to the "Remote Device" section in NVR, I saw the camera again with 10.* just like before.

Now this time, I plugged my PC into the NVR, and also the Camera into the NVR. Now both the Config Tool and a webpage opened to 10.1.1.67 in IE were able to access this camera (as well as all cameras plugged into NVR).

Now I was able to create a new password for the Camera in the webpage, login to the webpage and see the feed, settings, etc.

As I went back to the NVR, I now noticed screen had a different error message for that camera. It now said something about "lockout" maybe referencing "password", I don't recall.

Then I went back to "Remote Device" section in NVR, edited the camera entry with the new password I just set in it through web interface, then some amount of time (minutes?) later it showed up. I tested another camera and putting in a wrong password in the Remote Device page, and then correcting it resulted in the camera quickly connecting and status icon during green. However with the new camera and first time entering the new password, it took notably longer to connect, maybe a minute or more. Those were tense moments with fingers crossed, but all worked out.

I then resulted in a black screen view for that camera in some situations (>4 in a grid?, remote viewing, etc). I went in to the Camera Settings and set the FPS to 15 in both the Main Stream as well as Substream #1 (which were both enabled already), and then also enabled Substream #2 (Called "Display Stream" in some interfaces) and set to 15 FPS as well. I modified some other setting as well to match the other LOREX cameras, but I believe this is what allowed me to view the Camera, which now shows up in all situations same as other cameras (various grid configurations directly in NVR monitor, various grid configurations in FlirCloud viewing from PC, and also in Lorex Secure Android App.)

Hope this helps others in similar situation.

Regards,
Mark

PS - When I buy the next camera, I will remove the NVR from the network and plug the Camera directly into the Switch and see if I can access it with the supposed default 192.168.1.108 IP via webpage.
Thanks Mark, Lorex NVR adding dahua cams make many guys little crazy, hope future can make them work out easily.

z71pilot

n3wb
Reaction score
@Mark P - Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Between your detailed explanation and @Fourier post on page 1 I got my dahua cams working. The topic of adjusting the substream and display also did the trick for me to get them to render on the multi grid mode on my NVR Display. FYI - I only had to enable sub2. I didn't have to back it down to 15 however. My display worked fine at 25. It was enabling the sub2 display that helped me the most! Something I would have never figured out on my own. Thank you to this forum!

The dahua 5231R-ZE's are the real deal. Thanks to Andy for the quick shipment. I would not hesitate building an entire system with these cameras. They are simply awesome. With my front house lights on at night the dauhua camera displays in full color and it looks like it is day time in 1080p with super good clarity.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
s
@Mark P - Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Between your detailed explanation and @Fourier post on page 1 I got my dahua cams working. The topic of adjusting the substream and display also did the trick for me to get them to render on the multi grid mode on my NVR Display. FYI - I only had to enable sub2. I didn't have to back it down to 15 however. My display worked fine at 25. It was enabling the sub2 display that helped me the most! Something I would have never figured out on my own. Thank you to this forum!

The dahua 5231R-ZE's are the real deal. Thanks to Andy for the quick shipment. I would not hesitate building an entire system with these cameras. They are simply awesome. With my front house lights on at night the dauhua camera displays in full color and it looks like it is day time in 1080p with super good clarity.
So future, we can use this topic to guide more and more new guys for adding their dahua cams to the Lorex one.

p0080711

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone... This is my first post to any type of forum so forgive me if I am accidently breaking any rules. I am definitely a newbie and I am about to install the lorex kit from Costco. Because I 2 additional ports available, I wanted to know if the Lorex NVR from Costco will support an autotracking PTZ camera?

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome p0080711
You should fill out a signature. That helps all to see what equipment you are using. We would need to know type of cameras to better answer your questions.
I highly recommend contacting Andy
EMPIRETECANDY
from this site when purchasing equipment. I have bought all Dahua equipment from him and love the setup and support I have built over the past year.

Fourier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @p0080711 , what model nvr do you have? I know Costco has a new 4K kit so I’m not sure which one you have. I have yhe 4k kit from last year and the nvr is lnr6100 series. I do t believe the Lorex firmware supports IVS or auto tracking. It’s unfortunate because I would like to have used it also.

There is another thread about flashing the 9xxx series Lorex nvr to Dahua firmware and being able to get feature like auto tracking. I haven’t seen anyone try with the 6xxx nvr.

I purchased the 5231 starlight turret from Andy and it’s great but I know for sure I can’t use any of the IVS features.

p0080711

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies...

drewgost - I am def planning on using Andy to purchase at least 2 cameras, but the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE always seems to be sold out. Any suggestions for alternative (that has audio)? Nevermind, I just looked and Any seems to have 9 available.

Fourier - The NVR is LNR6108-N...

Another thought is to purchase a new NVR from Andy because initially I wanted more then 8 cameras but the deal with the Costco Lorex was too good to pass up. If I were to buy a 16 chan NVR that supports autotracking, what would you guys recommend?

p0080711

n3wb
Reaction score
The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that Andy is currently selling are PAL only. Does anyone see any problems with adding this to my Lorex NVR?