Replacing/upgrading BNC cameras on Ganz DR4N

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have a Ganz DR4N with a few cameras on it. Dated, but working fine, except a couple of the cameras are starting to fail.

The DR4N is 704x480 I guess. I want the best quality camera practical. I am looking at the HAC-HDW2221EM-A Looks like it a 1080 camera. Would that signal be compatible with the Ganz?

Thinking of a better camera now, and possibly upgrading the DVR at some point.

Is there a better option? Cameras are mounted about 10' above sidewalks

Also, I am looking for a nice wall mount arm bracket. I need to get the cameras away from the wall a little bit.
I am thinking about something like this, but 12-24" long.

Anybody have one they are familiar with and would recommend? I see lots of options, but few with dimensions.

Thanks

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have a Ganz DR4N with a few cameras on it. Dated, but working fine, except a couple of the cameras are starting to fail.

The DR4N is 704x480 I guess. I want the best quality camera practical. I am looking at the HAC-HDW2221EM-A Looks like it a 1080 camera. Would that signal be compatible with the Ganz?

Thinking of a better camera now, and possibly upgrading the DVR at some point.

Is there a better option? Cameras are mounted about 10' above sidewalks

Also, I am looking for a nice wall mount arm bracket. I need to get the cameras away from the wall a little bit.
I am thinking about something like this, but 12-24" long.

Anybody have one they are familiar with and would recommend? I see lots of options, but few with dimensions.

Thanks
You would need a model that lists hd/sd switchable in the specs (cvbs output). CVI pentabrids from dahua are cheap. Replace everything. Look for a dahua CVI turret with starlight in the specs. Alternatively, run new ethernet and use ip cameras or look at dahua epoe.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are just so many different camers, with just slight different specs. Makes it hard I guess.

I asked Andy about the A22AH9z, and he mentioned these HAC-HDW2231R-Z-DP. The look like startlight and nearly identical specs.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Same camera. The A22 is the US version/model#, the 2231 the International version. I have 4 of those and they work very well.

Except....... they've been discontinued. :mad:

New equivalent model is HAC-HDW2241T-Z-A-DP that is of course if you really need the DP (dual power/AC) option, otherwise the plain DC model is the
HAC-HDW2241T-Z-A

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have those mounts on some other cameras, but they don't stick out from the wall far enough. There are some awnings along over some doorways on the building I need to get around a little. I think the PFB302S will get me a few more inches, but I have not seen any dimensions. I really would like to find one even longer than that, but all I have found are for a bullet camera mount - not the round turret types.

Edit - Well crap - Andy says the brackets won't support the HAC-HDW2231R-Z, he says to use PFB203W.

Wonder what the issue is?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Look at how the camera attaches, the 302S has threads, for bullets. The Turret style doesnt have that

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, the camera and the PFB203W have a diameter of about 122 mm. The PFA103 has a diameter of 133.

Might be an issue of the bolt holes? The 203 has 2 or 3 sets. Not sure on the 103 - if it i a flat surface that could be drilled in that way.

If that is all it is, I can drill and tap those. Shit, I thing I can make it work if it gets me away from the wall.

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't believe my problem is that unique.

Wonder if I could put a PFA135 on the end of a PFA110 Just get a 3/4 nipple connected to the PFA110, and then screw the 135 on.

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I ended up getting a couple of the HAC-HDW2231R-Z cameras.

Supposed to be dual mode hd and sd.

When i connected one to the dvr, that channel showed a solid green screen

There is no indication on how to switch between sd and hd. Is that my problem?

Thanks

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, btw, here is what they look like on the arm mounts i modified. 20181215_123238.jpg

If you look close, you can see the aluminum plate i used to adapt the bolt patterns.

Nike

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman:
quick question, why do you recommend the 3.6mm lens vs. 2.8mm? I've heard this before from others as well. Thanks!
(looking at the cliff notes now to find answer)