Replacing Water Heater Tank in Attic

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the condensate pump fails for whatever reason
No pump here... just gravity... line is probably more likely to clog up since it doesn't get "flushed", but it seems ok.

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No pump here... just gravity... line is probably more likely to clog up since it doesn't get "flushed", but it seems ok.
yep, mice and insulation, plus wasps building nests in pipes... the usual causes. Even with gravity drain condensate lines, we're still required to have float kill switch on the drip pan, in case of clogged drain or failed condensate pump. Good idea. Seen the kill switches save home owner a LOT of repair work.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Even with gravity drain condensate lines, we're still required to have float kill switch on the drip pan, in case of clogged drain or failed condensate pump. Good idea.
It is a good idea... even if it's not required... I'm gonna take a look at mine next time I'm up there and see how I can add a float switch!

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is a good idea... even if it's not required... I'm gonna take a look at mine next time I'm up there and see how I can add a float switch!
There are different types. Some mount on side of the metal drip/overflow pan under the airhandler, others are part of an integral pan drain kit... but most I see are just a simple float switch that mounts to the side of the overflow pan under the air handler.. Here are some examples - Some switches have dual contacts, so one set can be used to shut off the HVAC system in event of overflow, and another set of contacts to activate an alarm system, indicators etc