Reputable Security Cam installers in the Las Vegas area?

Vg247

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for References for a reputable security camera installation shop in the Las Vegas area for my new construction home.

It is already pre wired for 9 POE cameras, so I’m looking for someone to install the cameras and set up the NVR etc.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Vg247

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I thought of doing it myself but since I’m not the most tech savvy person I don’t want to deal with wiring the pre ran Cat6 cables to RJ45 connectors , since the Cat6 pre ran are just bare wires at each end. Then there’s the mounting up high on my stucco wall that is a challenge by itself.

Figure spend the money for an expert to install and peace of mind.

What does a 9 prewire camera setup like this cost to install on average, so I may have a baseline price?

Last edited:

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you, I thought of doing it myself but since I’m not the most tech savvy person I don’t want to deal with wiring the pre ran Cat6 cables to RJ45 connectors , since the Cat6 pre ran are just bare wires at each end. Then there’s the mounting up high on my stucco wall that is a challenge by itself.

What does a 9 prewire camera setup like this cost to install on average, so I may have a baseline price?
I charge about 400$. if live within 30 miles.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @Vg247

Then there’s the mounting up high on my stucco wall that is a challenge by itself.

Just how high are they?

Vg247

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Vg247

Then there’s the mounting up high on my stucco wall that is a challenge by itself.

Just how high are they?
I guest high is more subjective to me, but the camera mounts are all approximately 20ft high, since I reach them using a 22ft ladder.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guest high is more subjective to me, but the camera mounts are all approximately 20ft high, since I reach them using a 22ft ladder.
Hi @Vg247

"..the camera mounts are all approximately 20ft high"

Those are far too high for most house security camera installations.

How far away do you want to ID people from the house?
If you want to ID them closer to the house you will need to redo your runs. 6-8 feet high is the recommended mount height for most cases.

Remember to provide pictures and the height information when seeking quotes.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That‘s terrific pricing wish you were here.. I did some of my training out in the tri-valley Stockton/Tracy decades ago
The wire already there...just mount the cameras and set up the nvr. i think 400$ is reasonable

Vg247

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Vg247

"..the camera mounts are all approximately 20ft high"

Those are far too high for most house security camera installations.

How far away do you want to ID people from the house?
If you want to ID them closer to the house you will need to redo your runs. 6-8 feet high is the recommended mount height for most cases.

Remember to provide pictures and the height information when seeking quotes.
Thanks for this great advice.. i never gave it thought as the new construction home electricians just installed them based on my designated areas, and did not specify a height preference etc.

I would like to ID typical standard images to capture clear people or issues should something not look right occur, etc

I was looking at these Hikvisions with different focal lengths pending on camera placement , along with this NVR (I mainly only need 2 weeks max of footage saved):

Thoughts and any insights on better value , better quality options out there?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this great advice.. i never gave it thought as the new construction home electricians just installed them based on my designated areas, and did not specify a height preference etc.

I would like to ID typical standard images to capture clear people or issues should something not look right occur, etc

I was looking at these Hikvisions with different focal lengths pending on camera placement , along with this NVR (I mainly only need 2 weeks max of footage saved):

Thoughts and any insights on better value , better quality options out there?
HI @Vg247

1) "..the new construction home electricians just installed them based on my designated areas.."

This just shows that you can not trust others to do a good job.

At this point, you want to check they used quality cable. Can you take a photo of what is printed on the cable? How does the "data closet" look like?

2) Camera choice: Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I 4MP Outdoor Network Dome Camera with Night Vision & 2.8mm Lens (White)

this Hikvision uses a 1/3" progressive scan CMOS - not a good choice due to the smaller sensor size.
2.8mm wide FOV - a very bad choice imho due to the wide FOV at 4MP when mounted 20 feet up...
dome - not a preferred option for outdoors by many of us....

With this camera, at that height you will not meet the ID specs of 100 ppf for anyone on the ground even if they look up at the cameras.

Is the drywall up yet?
Is the construction done?

Right now, you need to stop any further progress and read the cliff notes.

Vg247

n3wb
Reaction score
HI @Vg247

1) "..the new construction home electricians just installed them based on my designated areas.."

This just shows that you can not trust others to do a good job.

At this point, you want to check they used quality cable. Can you take a photo of what is printed on the cable? How does the "data closet" look like?

2) Camera choice: Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I 4MP Outdoor Network Dome Camera with Night Vision & 2.8mm Lens (White)

this Hikvision uses a 1/3" progressive scan CMOS - not a good choice due to the smaller sensor size.
2.8mm wide FOV - a very bad choice imho due to the wide FOV at 4MP when mounted 20 feet up...
dome - not a preferred option for outdoors by many of us....

With this camera, at that height you will not meet the ID specs of 100 ppf for anyone on the ground even if they look up at the cameras.

Is the drywall up yet?
Is the construction done?

Right now, you need to stop any further progress and read the cliff notes.
Many thanks, I totally forgot about the cliff notes..will read this in detail mat200.

Unfortunately, I am out of town at the moment but the cable they ran look generic , just white colored cables with a bunch of numbers on them. They ran the cable home runs into my designated room, and the smart box or data box has a bunch of cables in there for cable tv, phone, etc... sorry this was all new to me so I can’t describe them more....I’ll try to send pictures and update here once I’m home in a week or so.

The home has already been 100% completed. It’s not a custom home so during the option selections - buyers can only choose camera pre wires, and at which locations.

We did not get to pick how high up or specify anything other parameters. KB Home is the builder.

On the option list it only reads:
Low Voltage
KB Secure, Camera Prewire
Includes data and coax for camera, doesn't include 110v outlet. Equipment not included. $145.00 for each camera pre wire

Thanks so much for all the advice and feedback on the Hikvisons I was looking at above, I’ll review the cliff notes in more detail to learn as security cameras and NVR’s are all completely new to me.

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for References for a reputable security camera installation shop in the Las Vegas area for my new construction home.

It is already pre wired for 9 POE cameras, so I’m looking for someone to install the cameras and set up the NVR etc.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
You've already done the hard part.

Vg247

n3wb
Reaction score
You've already done the hard part.
Hi Jay, looks like we are local...are you familiar or have any experience with In The Sky here in town, Las Vegas area? Seems like they have the most reviews and positive ones, off Yelp (though I take these online review with a grain of salt, just helps me gauge the business)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many thanks, I totally forgot about the cliff notes..will read this in detail mat200.

Unfortunately, I am out of town at the moment but the cable they ran look generic , just white colored cables with a bunch of numbers on them. They ran the cable home runs into my designated room, and the smart box or data box has a bunch of cables in there for cable tv, phone, etc... sorry this was all new to me so I can’t describe them more....I’ll try to send pictures and update here once I’m home in a week or so.

The home has already been 100% completed. It’s not a custom home so during the option selections - buyers can only choose camera pre wires, and at which locations.

We did not get to pick how high up or specify anything other parameters. KB Home is the builder.

On the option list it only reads:
Low Voltage
KB Secure, Camera Prewire
Includes data and coax for camera, doesn't include 110v outlet. Equipment not included. $145.00 for each camera pre wire

Thanks so much for all the advice and feedback on the Hikvisons I was looking at above, I’ll review the cliff notes in more detail to learn as security cameras and NVR’s are all completely new to me.
Hi @Vg247

Thanks for sharing this. This is actually a very important subject as new construction purchasers will expect a company like "KB homes" to be the expert on building homes and the options for the homes. Clearing KB homes has failed in this case. Those are not "security cameras" in those locations but scenic cameras. ( when mounted 20 feet high ).

Looking forward to pictures of what "KB Secure, Camera Prewire" includes.

Did you request one by the front door?

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Jay, looks like we are local...are you familiar or have any experience with In The Sky here in town, Las Vegas area? Seems like they have the most reviews and positive ones, off Yelp (though I take these online review with a grain of salt, just helps me gauge the business)
Haven’t ever used a company. I just always done it myself. I like tinkering with it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Vg247

I recommend picking up a good varifocal IP camera and PoE switch and playing with it. Test the mount locations KB Homes provided to you and see if those locations are even viable in any way. if you have a good scenic view you may want to place a camera in a location or 2. Maybe nice for a PTZ camera. Otherwise I think you'll need to find better locations for your setup. Look for the test rig example here.

If you have an attached garage I would consider that as a place to run a few cameras covering your driveway and pathway to your front door.

Look for SouthernYankee's post to new members as he has a good list of cameras to consider. Many of which we have members who have done reviews on.

If you're willing to do the setup work yourself, we have a number of threads here on how to terminate cables and setup NVRs / VMS ( like Blue Iris ).

Vg247

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Vg247

Thanks for sharing this. This is actually a very important subject as new construction purchasers will expect a company like "KB homes" to be the expert on building homes and the options for the homes. Clearing KB homes has failed in this case. Those are not "security cameras" in those locations but scenic cameras. ( when mounted 20 feet high ).

Looking forward to pictures of what "KB Secure, Camera Prewire" includes.

Did you request one by the front door?
KB definitely are mounting these without any expertise or thought behind them with regards to camera applications or practicality.

I did get one by the front door, and they mounted it also high as well approximately 15 ft up I would estimate.

Will get some pictures up soon, thank you mat200