Required installation accessories

Reaction score
Hello, new here.

I'm looking to setup a new security camera setup. I will be using blue iris and saving footage locally on a computer that's always on.

For the outdoor camera, I was looking at getting a dahua starlight varifocal turret (ipc-hdw5231r-z) due to low light conditions.

Now my question is, what do I need to hook this camera up? I cannot seem to find a picture of the connections on the camera itself to verify what I need.

As far as I'm aware, I will need to setup a PoE setup? So camera, bulk solid copper cat5e, a PoE switch and another cat5 cable leading to my router would be suffice? Any recommendations on switches or cable? The cable would be under 300 ft

Thanks

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For PoE i use dahua PoE switch or the version from Planet. If you use only one camera then maybe an idea to look for a PoE injector?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Reaction score
For PoE i use dahua PoE switch or the version from Planet. If you use only one camera then maybe an idea to look for a PoE injector?
Yeah I'd likely go with an inline PoE injector, but the connection on the camera is a basic female Ethernet port correct?

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I'd likely go with an inline PoE injector, but the connection on the camera is a basic female Ethernet port correct?
Yeah, a simple patchcable will do it.
But use a good quality cable because 9/10 problems starts with cable.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perfect, thanks a bunch!
buy a decent switch from a well known brand...they are about 50 bux...you wont have to mess with a bunch of injectors when you get more cameras.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG1005P-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop/dp/B076HZFY3F/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1518567095&sr=8-4&keywords=poe+switch+tplink

if you are more technical and want the benefits of a manged switch look at this...https://www.amazon.com/5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed-GS1200-5HP/dp/B01INVLPU6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518567178&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=poe+switch+managed+zyxel+1200

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will get the first switch you mentioned as its about the same price as the injector I was looking at.

I can't seem to find this camera, does anyone have any recommendations on a similar outdoor camera that's preferably on Amazon?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will get the first switch you mentioned as its about the same price as the injector I was looking at.

I can't seem to find this camera, does anyone have any recommendations on a similar outdoor camera that's preferably on Amazon?
if you are network savvy the managed switch is worth the extra 5 bux...
but if you want plug and play, get the first...
you will not find a similar camera on amazon...most users here buy from andy...see his info in the thread on the camera...

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assuming an outdoor location, get a waterproof junction box to keep the camera's pigtail dry and accessible from the outside of the building.