Restarted After Unexpected Shutdown?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been getting these periodic BI shutdowns in the past week. Luckily the OpenALPR service is still running, but BI just closes on its own. I've tried restarted the PC, and CPU isage is usually always around 34 %. Anyone else getting this problem suddenly?

The Application Windows Logs show this, in part:

"Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version 14.21.27702.2, time stamp 0x5ccadaa9"
"Faulting code: 0xc0000005"
"Exception offset: 0x000000000000127e"
'Faulting process id: 0x36a)"

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the software updates itself. The current version is "5.3.3.6 x64 (10/08/2020)." The log file shows the restarts began on 10/4 within the current month.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Shut off automagic updates and revert back to 5.3.2.11 I'll bet your problem will magically disappear. I watch the forum to see what problems, if any, new updates cause before I update BI but then I am a cautious individual.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems to be an issue introduced in the new 5.3.3.x versions, related to full res snapshots. I'm getting one reboot a day, usually around 3AM (varies each day). I've reported the problem and I can live with a single random reboot per day until it's fixed.

Rolling back to 5.3.2.11 and turning off auto update is a good fix if the crashes are a problem for you.

Also, please report the issue to support, the more people that report it, the faster it'll be fixed.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m also getting crashes, a couple times throughout the day, usually at the start of the hour. I have my constant recording to spit at 1 hour, so something is causing it, but haven’t been able to narrow it down yet.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been getting this error since the end of May and have tried tons of debugging methods and never been able to conclusively figure it out. Happens for me every 18 to 18.5 hours. I have 14 cameras, BTW.

Things I have tried:
1) Installed demo version of BI on a different PC with very similar stats as my main BI computer. Imported entire config from main BI PC to demo PC. Enabled half of my cameras on my main PC and half on the Demo PC and it still crashed every 18 hours or so.
2) Disabled ALL cameras on Demo PC and let BI run. No crash. Seems to be camera related?
3) Systematically enabled ONE camera at a time on Demo PC and let run for 24 hours at least. Logged which cameras seemed to cause a crash and which ones didn't. Yes, some cameras did seems to cause a crash and others did not.
4) After I made my list of "crashing" cameras vs. "non-crashing" cameras, enabled just the "non-crashing" cameras on my main BI PC. Main BI PC finally did not crash.
5) Enabled the "crashing" cameras on my main BI PC and now crashing is back.
6) Then, disabled the "crashing" cameras on my main BI PC and the crashing continued! Ugh, ultimately, it seems it was not camera related after all.
7) Going back multiple versions did not help.
8) Reinstalling VC++ Runtime v14 did not help.

After much more digging, I found that when a crash did occur, all of my cameras with the exception of one, would have incomplete video files. Meaning, if I have BI create a new video file every 1.0 GB, each video file is listed as 0.97 GB in size which is right. When a crash did occur, all of my cameras would have partial (meaning a size of less than 0.97 GB during the crash event) except for 1 camera (nothing special about this camera, BTW...I have multiple of this model). So, I disabled that one camera and low and behold, no crashing!! Felt comfortable with it like this for a while (a week or so of no crashing) so decided to re-enable that one camera. Well, now it starts crashing again. Disabled that same camera, and crashing continued!! Ugh, so now a different camera is causing a crash.

I have been updating BI all the time, hoping for some magic update that fixes this and nothing has yet. It's, in fact, gotten worse with the latest update. Now I get this stupid error all the time:

2 10/11/2020 7:57:09 PM Rear_South Clip: write error 8000000b, undefined

in addition to it still crashing every 18 hours or so. For whatever reason, BI seems to have a hard time creating video files. When I get the clip write error message, I end up with a 0KB file (according to BI) and a tiny .bvr file in the filesystem. I have 2 Western Digital Purple hard drives and see this behavior on both.

And yes, I have emailed Ken and got a few responses back, but have decided to try some self medicating before I email him again. I might be really close to emailing him again and see what else I can try.

This software is like owning a Corvette with flat tires. It is very frustrating to say the least. I have almost resigned myself to living with a crash every 18 hours since it does restart within 12 seconds or so.

So @DLONG2 I totally feel your pain and hope you can get your issue resolved. I seem to be stuck with mine.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been getting this error since the end of May and have tried tons of debugging methods and never been able to conclusively figure it out. Happens for me every 18 to 18.5 hours. I have 14 cameras, BTW.

Things I have tried:
1) Installed demo version of BI on a different PC with very similar stats as my main BI computer. Imported entire config from main BI PC to demo PC. Enabled half of my cameras on my main PC and half on the Demo PC and it still crashed every 18 hours or so.
2) Disabled ALL cameras on Demo PC and let BI run. No crash. Seems to be camera related?
3) Systematically enabled ONE camera at a time on Demo PC and let run for 24 hours at least. Logged which cameras seemed to cause a crash and which ones didn't. Yes, some cameras did seems to cause a crash and others did not.
4) After I made my list of "crashing" cameras vs. "non-crashing" cameras, enabled just the "non-crashing" cameras on my main BI PC. Main BI PC finally did not crash.
5) Enabled the "crashing" cameras on my main BI PC and now crashing is back.
6) Then, disabled the "crashing" cameras on my main BI PC and the crashing continued! Ugh, ultimately, it seems it was not camera related after all.
7) Going back multiple versions did not help.
8) Reinstalling VC++ Runtime v14 did not help.

After much more digging, I found that when a crash did occur, all of my cameras with the exception of one, would have incomplete video files. Meaning, if I have BI create a new video file every 1.0 GB, each video file is listed as 0.97 GB in size which is right. When a crash did occur, all of my cameras would have partial (meaning a size of less than 0.97 GB during the crash event) except for 1 camera (nothing special about this camera, BTW...I have multiple of this model). So, I disabled that one camera and low and behold, no crashing!! Felt comfortable with it like this for a while (a week or so of no crashing) so decided to re-enable that one camera. Well, now it starts crashing again. Disabled that same camera, and crashing continued!! Ugh, so now a different camera is causing a crash.

I have been updating BI all the time, hoping for some magic update that fixes this and nothing has yet. It's, in fact, gotten worse with the latest update. Now I get this stupid error all the time:

2 10/11/2020 7:57:09 PM Rear_South Clip: write error 8000000b, undefined

in addition to it still crashing every 18 hours or so. For whatever reason, BI seems to have a hard time creating video files. When I get the clip write error message, I end up with a 0KB file (according to BI) and a tiny .bvr file in the filesystem. I have 2 Western Digital Purple hard drives and see this behavior on both.

And yes, I have emailed Ken and got a few responses back, but have decided to try some self medicating before I email him again. I might be really close to emailing him again and see what else I can try.

This software is like owning a Corvette with flat tires. It is very frustrating to say the least. I have almost resigned myself to living with a crash every 18 hours since it does restart within 12 seconds or so.

So @DLONG2 I totally feel your pain and hope you can get your issue resolved. I seem to be stuck with mine.
Wow, that’s some serious troubleshooting. I’m at the beginning of that process and your story isn’t very encouraging! Good luck!

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, that’s some serious troubleshooting. I’m at the beginning of that process and your story isn’t very encouraging! Good luck!
It's been an un-fulfilling process so far, I'll tell you that!

I would look at your system and see if you can determine if your Blue Iris is closing one .bvr file and creating a new one based on your settings. That seems to be the one piece of info I have discovered about my system that is common. What that means, I don't know, but it is a lead that may help you discover a root cause.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are having problems. NEVER import data, always manually enter one camera at a time.

1) start with a clean install of windows. Not the manufacture version.
2) do a clear install of a known good version of BI.
3) add one camera at a time let it run for 24 hours before adding the next camera.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are having problems. NEVER import data, always manually enter one camera at a time.

1) start with a clean install of windows. Not the manufacture version.
2) do a clear install of a known good version of BI.
3) add one camera at a time let it run for 24 hours before adding the next camera.
This is all well and good, and may in fact work, but terribly impractical. Should I do this every time this error pops up? It would take me 2 weeks to complete this task as I have 14 cameras. I would really like to narrow it down in a surgical method to find the cause of the crash instead of just blowing up the building and rebuilding from scratch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with the software if there was every one else would be having the same exact issue. Why are you keeping information hidden. What brand of cameras are causing your issue? Are you recording to local sata harddrives or are you using usb/nas? This is a user inflicted problem.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems to be an issue introduced in the new 5.3.3.x versions, related to full res snapshots. I'm getting one reboot a day, usually around 3AM (varies each day). I've reported the problem and I can live with a single random reboot per day until it's fixed.

Rolling back to 5.3.2.11 and turning off auto update is a good fix if the crashes are a problem for you.

Also, please report the issue to support, the more people that report it, the faster it'll be fixed.
I've never had to roll back the BI software in almost 3 years. Just export settings, uniunstall, and reinstall settings?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given the level of complexity of BI and that it is developed, modified, and tested by one person it is reasonable that sometimes things might not work as the developer expects on all platforms or that he may miss something when releasing an update. As time has gone on the complexity has increased by many times in almost all areas of the program which makes trouble free updates much, much more difficult given all the variations in hardware involved. You can certainly leave automagic updates on, but there is always a risk with that IF there is a problem with a specific update.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so here is an update to my saga. It would seem that somehow my Windows 10 Real Time Virus and Threat Protection on my dedicated Blue Iris computer got turned back on somehow. I don't believe I ever excluded any BI directories, I just turned it off entirely. Well, just checked a few days ago and it was back on according to this setting:

Settings -> Virus and Threat Protection Settings -> Manage Settings then turn off Real Time Protection.

I turned this off and tried an older version of BI (5.3.2.8) and it worked fine for 2 solid days. Updated to the latest version and it just passed the 24 hour mark. I was ALWAYS getting failures every 18 hours. For me, this started at the end of May, and there was probably an update that turned this setting back on. I'm guessing that when BI would create a new file, Windows would think it was a virus or malware (really???) and delete it and BI would crash and the process would restart and repeat. I couldn't find any evidence of this in any Windows log files, but it sure fixed my problem (fingers crossed!)

So, was this a self-inflicted issue? That's arguable since I never turned that setting back on, but at some point I must have allowed Windows to install some updates that must have turned it back on. At any rate, I would check that setting and either turn it off if you don't surf the web on your BI PC, or just exclude the appropriate BI directories.

Fhantazm

n3wb
Reaction score
I was having the same issue as the rest (excluding Rockford622--his is a different issue) and rolled back to 5.3.2.11 and all is well. Appears to be a bug with the 5.3.3.x updates. Mine would crash every 4 hours.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Where do I find the previous version to install? And what are the required steps?

Back up.
Uninstall.
Reinstall.
Restore?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the directory "C:/Program Files/Blue Iris 5/". If you've configured things properly you're saving all the previous versions and can install any that you have run previously simply by clicking on the appropriate file, such as "BlueIris_053311.exe".

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the directory "C:/Program Files/Blue Iris 5/". If you've configured things properly you're saving all the previous versions and can install any that you have run previously simply by clicking on the appropriate file, such as "BlueIris_053311.exe".
Thanks! I see there was another update last night to 5.3.3.9. Alas, I looked and my setup has no previous versions saved. We'll see if the latest update fixes the problem. The last restart was on the 13th, and seemed to be every day or two this month.

Fhantazm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! I see there was another update last night to 5.3.3.9. Alas, I looked and my setup has no previous versions saved. We'll see if the latest update fixes the problem. The last restart was on the 13th, and seemed to be every day or two this month.

You're overthinking this. Just go into settings, check for updates, and select latest stable release. It'll automatically revert back to that one.