Review-Dahua/EmpireTech Dual lens IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 (The Boobie Cam Upgrade)

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is it with the dome off. You rotate the two sections, so if you wanted them each out 90, you see this is set up with the notch towards the outside and you simply push the lens outward down that opening. It gets it pretty close to 90, but like I said, if you went complete 90 then part of the lens might be obstructed by the dome, but you can get it really close.

I use mine as an overview and I can just about see the wall on either side out towards the end.

View attachment 152140
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI, I have the 2.8mm lens and absolutely get 180 degree view, able to see the wall on both sides of the camera. With anything tighter than the 2.8mm lens, I don't know if that's possible. Having said that, there is a catch . . .

In the image that @wittaj shared, be aware that the "shell" around the circular eyeball of the lens rotates. In the image, the cut-out in the "shells" each point almost directly sideways, but that's not always necessary or desired. If you want/need to have the lens point slightly up or slightly down, you can do that by rotating that shell. However, when you rotate that shell, you will lose some of the extreme left/right view.

For example, if you want to see the ground BELOW the camera in order to see a doormat or package, you'd want to rotate those "shells" slightly downward. That will restrict/reduce the amount you see to the sides and you might not be able to see full left/right 180 degrees if you have to point down too much. I am still able to point down a little and maintain the 180-degree field of view including walls on both sides, but I am definitely NOT seeing the ground or wall directly under the camera.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI, I have the 2.8mm lens and absolutely get 180 degree view, able to see the wall on both sides of the camera. With anything tighter than the 2.8mm lens, I don't know if that's possible. Having said that, there is a catch . . .

In the image that @wittaj shared, be aware that the "shell" around the circular eyeball of the lens rotates. In the image, the cut-out in the "shells" each point almost directly sideways, but that's not always necessary or desired. If you want/need to have the lens point slightly up or slightly down, you can do that by rotating that shell. However, when you rotate that shell, you will lose some of the extreme left/right view.

For example, if you want to see the ground BELOW the camera in order to see a doormat or package, you'd want to rotate those "shells" slightly downward. That will restrict/reduce the amount you see to the sides and you might not be able to see full left/right 180 degrees if you have to point down too much. I am still able to point down a little and maintain the 180-degree field of view including walls on both sides, but I am definitely NOT seeing the ground or wall directly under the camera.
Thanks so much.

This won't be an issue as I'm only interested in the front door and the walkway to the door. The camera will be right in the middle.

Going to order the camera with 3.6mm lenses. I have a couple 2.8mm lenses that I have lying around. I can swap either or both the lenses on the camera as I desire.

Thanks again.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going to order the camera with 3.6mm lenses.
According to Dahua's spec sheet (IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2), the 3.6mm lens has only a 78 degree field of view (vs. 95 degree for the 2.8mm lens). I believe that implies you absolutely cannot get 180-degree field of view with the 3.6mm. If you see the walls on both sides, you'll have a gap in the middle. That may be acceptable to you, and perhaps you only care about seeing one wall in one direction. If anyone wants 180-degrees, I believe the 2.8mm is necessary.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
According to Dahua's spec sheet (IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2), the 3.6mm lens has only a 78 degree field of view (vs. 95 degree for the 2.8mm lens). I believe that implies you absolutely cannot get 180-degree field of view with the 3.6mm. If you see the walls on both sides, you'll have a gap in the middle. That may be acceptable to you, and perhaps you only care about seeing one wall in one direction. If anyone wants 180-degrees, I believe the 2.8mm is necessary.
This cam is just for the front door and walkway. The view in front of the cam is already covered by another camera so I'm not worried.

But I'll try the 3.6mm first as it gets me a bit closer to the faces I want to store.

Opening my Airbnb soon and I need to know who is coming and going.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking the thread. I've started this thread for my planned installation. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Have there been any known instances of one the cameras dying like with the IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M? The left boob was losing signal for about 30 seconds one or twice a day, and now it's just not showing anything at all (the right one is fine).

trdcorolla

n3wb
Reaction score
would this be good as a door cam so you can see people at your door as well as packages on the ground with one cam pointed in each direction? Also does it have two way talk?
It's perfect for this use case. It has an audio out jack, so you could make it a two way talk by adding a small amplifier and speaker.
Looking at this camera now to be the 1st camera in my new BI system. I'm assuming I need the 2.8 version for my use. Outside looking at my front door, to the left is a window then a double door entrance, the span of the window and doors is about 100". My roof overhang over the porch is 80". The camera can be mounted anywhere on the wall perpendicular to the window. Attached is a rough drawing. What would be the best lens and what would be the best height to mount the camera? I would like to have one point down for packages and the other point out looking at the walkway to my porch. Any reply will be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at this camera now to be the 1st camera in my new BI system. I'm assuming I need the 2.8 version for my use. Outside looking at my front door, to the left is a window then a double door entrance, the span of the window and doors is about 100". My roof overhang over the porch is 80". The camera can be mounted anywhere on the wall perpendicular to the window. Attached is a rough drawing. What would be the best lens and what would be the best height to mount the camera? I would like to have one point down for packages and the other point out looking at the walkway to my porch. Any reply will be appreciated, thanks!
Will the porch light blind it at night in that position? Maybe above window or door is better?

trdcorolla

n3wb
Reaction score
Will the porch light blind it at night in that position? Maybe above window or door is better?
I don't really use the porch light. Only during parties if it ends when it's dark, so my visitor's see the step on the way out. There are 2 sidewalks lights (40 watt equivalent LED each) on the same switch about 23 feet away. Would those interfere with this camera? Would skipping the 2nd package camera and getting a fixed 5442 be better with the porch light and 2 sidewalk lights? Luckily I've never had a package stolen (knocking on wood). I'm trying not to mount the camera too high over the window and doors.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't really use the porch light. Only during parties if it ends when it's dark, so my visitor's see the step on the way out. There are 2 sidewalks lights (40 watt equivalent LED each) on the same switch about 23 feet away. Would those interfere with this camera? Would skipping the 2nd package camera and getting a fixed 5442 be better with the porch light and 2 sidewalk lights? Luckily I've never had a package stolen (knocking on wood). I'm trying not to mount the camera too high over the window and doors.
Mounting it to low is just asking for someone to mess with it. If I undestand you description- I would put dual lens above door. 1 aimed at porch, other at walkway.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This may not be the advise you want to hear, but it's an honest attempt to steer you in the right direction. Based on the diagram you shared, it looks like you only need about a 90-degree field of view since you seem to be mounting on the garage wall which is perpendicular to the window & door. IMHO, this doesn't justify a dual lens camera which can give you 180 degree field of view. If you get any camera with a single 2.8mm lens, I think that gives slightly more than 90 degrees which seems to be all you need. I think the dual lens camera is likely the wrong camera for your situation, based on that diagram with the perpendicular walls and putting the camera anywhere near the corner.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These cams mounted at the front door at 5ft, work well. The point of mounting at 5ft is to get a good face shot of whomever is standing at the door.
Then point the other camera down at the package area. Either a 2.8mm or a 3,6 will work fine.
If you go with the 2.8mm, then only plan on getting a good face shot from roughly 10-12 ft away on your walk. A 3.6.mm would do a little better at that distance.
Always do a test mounting before doing a permanent install. Test for 24hrs, to catch any gotchas.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mounting it to low is just asking for someone to mess with it. If I undestand you description- I would put dual lens above door. 1 aimed at porch, other at walkway.
That rarely happens, and if they do, you would have a face shot of the perp, that's the goal.
If properly secured to the wall, and it's mount, it would take some effort to "mess with it".
One of the biggest mistakes made is mounting cams too high and above the door is generally too high. Too high gets you shots of the tops of heads, not faces.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That rarely happens, and if they do, you would have a face shot of the perp, that's the goal.
If properly secured to the wall, and it's mount, it would take some effort to "mess with it".
One of the biggest mistakes made is mounting cams too high and above the door is generally too high. Too high gets you shots of the tops of heads, not faces.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Rarely?, but happens. Had someone walk up with cap down face looking down, When he got close enough, just hung cap on camera! They got into my neighbors business. Luckily, I had better locks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Rarely?, but happens. Had someone walk up with cap down face looking down, When he got close enough, just hung cap on camera! They got into my neighbors business. Luckily, I had better locks.
Yeah and people with cameras higher have had them silly stringed and blocked. Or they take a stick or something and swing it out of the way.

And if your camera was higher all you would have got is what happened and not who as you would have only got top of ball cap...either way it wouldn't have been usable footage.

That is why it is good to have a variety of cameras at all heights and locations and some hidden.

But if someone has ill-intent, they will find a way. But lower is usually better.

trdcorolla

n3wb
Reaction score
This may not be the advise you want to hear, but it's an honest attempt to steer you in the right direction. Based on the diagram you shared, it looks like you only need about a 90-degree field of view since you seem to be mounting on the garage wall which is perpendicular to the window & door. IMHO, this doesn't justify a dual lens camera which can give you 180 degree field of view. If you get any camera with a single 2.8mm lens, I think that gives slightly more than 90 degrees which seems to be all you need. I think the dual lens camera is likely the wrong camera for your situation, based on that diagram with the perpendicular walls and putting the camera anywhere near the corner.
Thanks! I'm a complete newb, so i'll take any advice I can get. I just bought a IPC-T5442T-ZE for the garage, i'll test it at the front door.

These cams mounted at the front door at 5ft, work well. The point of mounting at 5ft is to get a good face shot of whomever is standing at the door.
Then point the other camera down at the package area. Either a 2.8mm or a 3,6 will work fine.
If you go with the 2.8mm, then only plan on getting a good face shot from roughly 10-12 ft away on your walk. A 3.6.mm would do a little better at that distance.
Always do a test mounting before doing a permanent install. Test for 24hrs, to catch any gotchas.
Thanks for replying too! A 2.8 dual would get a good shot of the person halfway to my front door from the sidewalk, is that enough or would you recommend the 3.6? Would the 3 lights I was talking about in post #210 have any effect on the dual camera at night? I rarely use those lights but they are there.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I will be doing the same in a month or two. Worked out all the math and will be changing the lenses to 6mm and 8mm for the front door and entrance from the street, respectively. I have a perfectly controlled walkway to the front door so I'll be able to capture the faces of everyone entering and leaving the property. Here's the thread.

Camera would be going up sooner but I live in Cuba and shipping is complicated to say the least. Headed back to Canada end of this month so I'll take advance of Andy's spring draw and order it to arrive when I'm up north.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone know the measurements of the screws to attach the cover? Going to be mounting this low and I'd like to replace those Philips screws with Torx head screws to make things a touch more secure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know the measurements of the screws to attach the cover? Going to be mounting this low and I'd like to replace those Philips screws with Torx head screws to make things a touch more secure.
They are the torx type screw heads that are used to adjust similar to what the bullet or turret cams use, so not a simple flat head or phillips head.