Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ordered one after reading this while searching for a better cam to replace some HIKVISION DS-2CD2132F-IS domes that are horrible at night! Will report back!

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am glad you made this comment because I have the ZE model and using Blue Iris in addition to access the camera directly with tinycam Pro. A good number of times the Dahua will not immediately come up upon accessing the app but my Hikvision will do so no problem. What could be the culprit here?
I don't think it will matter to most folks, but max FPS looks to be 30 (vs 60 on the 5231).

Also looks like it only supports one 1080p stream (vs the 5231's two 1080P streams), so folks running a NVR + Blue Iris (or a NVR and want to use an app like TinyCam to stream directly from the camera) will have to work with D1 resolution (not 1080p). Sounds like they may have stepped the processor down to help knock the price down?

Video quality looks great and for $50 cheaper than the 5231, I'm curious to see how these sell!!!
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

dyno

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered Thursday from Andy and got it today in western Canada :). Had alittle trouble getting the new IP to take but it did after a few tries and is now watching my two Webers. Nice cam!

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ordered one after reading this while searching for a better cam to replace some HIKVISION DS-2CD2132F-IS domes that are horrible at night! Will report back!
I got it, installation was a breeze, I like the mounting simplicity, and the initial login that required me to set strong password made me feel safe that these will not be the preferred target of hackers looking for mass targets..

You could say I am happy....

hikvision DS-2CD2132

Out6.20180629_230458_1.jpg

Dahua the next night:
Out8.20180701_000027_1.jpg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I got it, installation was a breeze, I like the mounting simplicity, and the initial login that required me to set strong password made me feel safe that these will not be the preferred target of hackers looking for mass targets..

You could say I am happy....

hikvision DS-2CD2132

View attachment 31058

Dahua the next night:
View attachment 31059
woo, pic is colorful and sharper than the hikvision.

dyno

n3wb
Reaction score
My substream looks pretty good....might want to check your video setting.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why did they switch from the rectangle glass on the ZE just to go back to the mickey mouse look ( which I actually prefer) on the new model I wonder?

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My substream looks pretty good....might want to check your video setting.
no idea what to look at....

Dahua hdw2231:
Sub Stream
Encode Mode H.264H
Resolution 704*576(D1)
Frame Rate(FPS) 25
Bit Rate Type CBR
Reference Bit Rate 256-2304Kb/S
Bit Rate(Kb/S) 1024
I Frame Interval 50

DS-2CD2132F-IS
Stream Type Sub Stream
Video Type Video&Audio
Resolution 352*288
Bitrate Type Constant
Video Quality Medium
Frame Rate fps 25
Max. Bitrate 512 kbps
Video Encoding H.264
Profile Main Profile
I Frame Interval 50
SVC Off
Smoothing 50

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why are you using the substream for BI?
In the camera, set the iFrame to the same as the FPS.

You need to adjust the camera's FOV, you don't need to see the awning or the light to the right. Waste of pixels.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just powered it up and set the password, then 'added camera' to BI.... everything else is default... Am I using the substream for BI? I have no idea! i just pasted the config above because I was told to above...

The FoV is motorized, I am happy with it and that is not a concern at this time, in fact, it allows me to see the garage door that is on that wall past the light.. if you see at the top, it is right at the edge of the wall..

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
The light can affect your camera's aperture to adjust properly to the other area.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes, but there is area that I NEED to view, so I will have to move the light, and since it is powered by conduit straight through the concrete block, that will be a little work, and most of all, NONE of this has anything to do with the problem of the thumbnail image in blueiris being 'pixelated', for lack of a better term...

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have THIS CAMERA, and blueiris, I would appreciate a screen grab of the thumbnail image and the settings you have for that camera in BI and in the camera..

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have THIS CAMERA, and blueiris, I would appreciate a screen grab of the thumbnail image and the settings you have for that camera in BI and in the camera..
OK, but all of my cams in BI console are somewhat poor quality, but good enough to see what is going on. Once I dbl click a cam to a larger window the video is perfect. I am not sure if you can adjust this. Here are my settings. BTW I had a light like yours and you can try making a shade or if it is a glass enclosure a pc of foil or metal to block that side works good.

Attachments

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wonder what the affects would be in image quality regarding that light if you were to block it using the privacy mask within the camera? Might work but my guess is that since the lens and camera still see the light it might still affect overall aperture. Heck if it's static positioned, you can even stick something on the lens to block it. I did that a number of years ago on an analog camera. I took a tiny (literally, smaller than half a pencil eraser in diameter) dot of black vinyl tape, and while looking at a live view of the camera on a screen, stuck the piece of black tape to the lens (had it on the tip of an exacto knife) in just the right spot to totally block the offending light.