Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder what the affects would be in image quality regarding that light if you were to block it using the privacy mask within the camera? Might work but my guess is that since the lens and camera still see the light it might still affect overall aperture. Heck if it's static positioned, you can even stick something on the lens to block it. I did that a number of years ago on an analog camera. I took a tiny (literally, smaller than half a pencil eraser in diameter) dot of black vinyl tape, and while looking at a live view of the camera on a screen, stuck the piece of black tape to the lens (had it on the tip of an exacto knife) in just the right spot to totally block the offending light.
The screengrab I supplied showing the image quality issue with the thumbnail is during the day... the light is off... the picture quality shown above that, at night, with the light on, is fine for me at the current point in time....

not sure what the fascination is with the lightbulb, can we focus on the image quality?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
The screengrab I supplied showing the image quality issue with the thumbnail is during the day... the light is off... the picture quality shown above that, at night, with the light on, is fine for me at the current point in time....

not sure what the fascination is with the lightbulb, can we focus on the image quality?
Just trying to help you get your camera's night view the best it can be. But hey, your welcome for the screenshots I posted. :wave:

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This might be perfect for my 86 year old mother instead of something like my IPC-HDW5231R-Z (can you still get?). If I set her up with BI are there any features you couldn't do without except if you wanted Audio?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
strange, in the blueiris main screen, the thumbnail image is a lot less clear than the hikvision.
View attachment 31060
I have seen this with a 3mp dahua cam and BI. The image is fine in full screen and the recording is fine.
You can improve this by adjusting the scaling in blue iris options>other but it will increase cpu usage.
I dont know what causes it. Email support and see if he can work it out.

trumee

n3wb
Reaction score
Can this camera be mounted on the wall with direct rain on it?

The pigtail ethernet cable can be protected with the plastic casing in the box but i dont see how the power can be protected.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are using it on a POE switch then you do not use the power connector....

Either way you do not want to rely totally on the network cable cover bit to protect that connection. You want to get some rubber splicing/sealing tape and wrap the entire connection with that too.

trumee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to power it over poe. But the exposed power cable still needs to be protected. Is a housing required to store the unused power cable?

Is the camera body itself fully protected from water ingress?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, yes. To be specific, Dahua's spec sheet rates the dust/water ingress protection as IP67.

If you check out the first picture in the first post (where the camera is pointing up), you should be able to see where the camera body separates. There's a rubber gasket that goes between the two sides that keeps the water/dust out.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to power it over poe. But the exposed power cable still needs to be protected. Is a housing required to store the unused power cable?

Hi Trumee,

Yes, you will need to protect the connections - both the power barrel and RJ45 from water ingress.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yes.
Use Di-electric grease in the RJ45.
Wouldn't hurt to put some grease in the extra power tail, then Wrap it all together with Coax seal.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep telling you guys, duc seal is the greatest thing since bottled beer for sealing just about anything electrical. Stays pliable at any temperature and for more years than I can count, and can be removed very easily when necessary. Wrap that with a decent quality electrical tape and you're golden. I do second the dielectric grease though, one never nows, do one?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited: