Review-Dahua IPC-HFW1831C-PIR 4k Mini Bullet

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
And today.. the push notifications stopped working... nothing was changed.. this is getting annoying.

the cam produce more costs than i took for installing it. i never have any problems with hikvision cams.

what is wrong with dahua ??

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Well now i've tried this camera on all the following what you class as 'non-proper' POE switches, as they dont seem to power up this camera
Netgear JG516PE - Other POE Cameras work fine
Netgear GS108PP- Other POE Cameras work fine
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPS-L - Other POE Cameras work fine
Dell N2048P - Other POE Cameras work fine
HP 2530-8G-POE+ - Other POE Cameras work fine
Perhaps it was due to my install of trying different 1 meter patch cables in all the above?
But you say there is nothing wrong with this camera, including the other user above who also mentioned a similar issue of it not powering itself up directly via POE?
If you could point me in the direction of a proper POE switch that works with this individual camera? All other cameras seem to work 100% fine with all the above non-standard switches for some reason though...
Today i hooked up the cam to the cheapest gigabit POE switch which i could found - TP-LINK TL-SG1005P. The camera powers up without any problems.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Just ordered a NUTRiBULLET from Andy.
Will be interesting to see how the little guy performs.
nutribullet.png

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Just got the HFW1831C-PIR 4k (Baby bullet) delivered today with a few other cams.
I have just setup in office for some testing.
I'm quite impressed with this cam. Its roughly the same size as a computer mouse! (plus mount)
It will be perfect for front door duties, being small and compact and gives pretty decent images.
Will add some videos and other thoughts later, seems like a great little camera.
2019-09-25_1-37-11.png

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
One Question:

has someone figured out how to set 15fps ??

My camera has only 14fps ?

The spec says that is has 8192 Kbps ... but not mine ?

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One Question:

has someone figured out how to set 15fps ??

My camera has only 14fps ?

The spec says that is has 8192 Kbps ... but not mine ?
Do you have Smart Codec enabled? That feature requires extra CPU usage and sometimes results in other features being disabled/changed.

Superior Security Experts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys. Can anyone recommend a turret kit that’s reliable but inexpensive? I usually use hik via alibi-observint technologies but need something for my lower price resi customers. Alibi started carrying a low price line called HDVISION. Who makes it? Decent quality?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. Can anyone recommend a turret kit that’s reliable but inexpensive? I usually use hik via alibi-observint technologies but need something for my lower price resi customers. Alibi started carrying a low price line called HDVISION. Who makes it? Decent quality?
Probably best to start a new thread about for that question as it'll spawn a lot of new questions that aren't about this thread (which is a review of the 1831C-PIR model).

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got this cam installed. It's on front door duties and doing very well.
Used the 2nd small mount included with the camera because of the ultra small size and is easier to adjust.

smallmount.png
This type of cam is a perfect fit for a front door cam.
I didn't need a doorbell cam and didn't want visitor to met by a larger "in your face" camera.
I'm not using the built in alarm (sound), but I am testing out the LED to light up when triggered. (solid led light not blinking)
I figure this is handy because people should look up at the light when it's triggered, which will help with ID if needed.
Communication is half duplex,the speaker is average for voice, but the mic is nice and clear.
Having a large post in front of cam is not ideal. Seems to kill off a good chunk of the IR Distance, but it still works good for the immediate area at night.
Overall Image quality is good.
Overall first impressions are very positive for this camera. It appears to be a great little camera that performs better than expected at this price point.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this camera.

frontdoor2.png
Image: Dusk, night low light, night with porch light, day time.

Last edited:

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
I also would like a confirmation of the correct firmware for this camera, model #
IPC-HFW1831C
IPC-HX2X3X firmware listed a couple of times in this string seems odd to me as the file name does not match up in any way with our camera model number.
The ending string of numbers do match up though. My cam has 2.800.0000002.0.R, Build Date: 2019-01-11 installed.
So I have the same question as exarkun, can we safely install the 2.800.0000010.0.R.190807 firmware from the link, above?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out the first post in Andy's thread below. The HX2X3X firmware installs on a lot of cameras whose model numbers don't match that format.

I was eventually able to upgrade my 1831C-PIR to the firmware version @exarkun linked to above. When I first tried to upgrade to it, the camera gave me an error. In hindsight, I should have rebooted the camera and tried again, but what I did was upgrade to the version in Andy's thread above (which worked fine), then tried @exarkun's link again (which also worked fine this time). I'm not sure if upgrading to Andy's version is required (I doubt it) or my camera was just being stupid and the normal reboot after upgrading to Andy's version fixed things (I think this is more likely).

If you're going to try updating, I'd be interested in knowing if you have any luck starting with @exarkun's linked version. If not, if you could reboot your camera and try again, I'm curious if it works then. If not, then try going to Andy's version, then to @exarkun's linked version. That worked for me with no issues.

Last edited:

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
Aristobrat, thanks for the info.. I downloaded exarkun's 10.0 version and my cam upgraded with no issues.
After extracting the file there was a text file which did list our model camera, so I felt secure proceeding.
Thanks again to both of you.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just browsed through this whole thread. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am still in testing, but I can't get 2 way audio to work when GDMSS is connected to my NVR 4116-4ks2. When I connect directly to the camera, I can get 2 way to work. Any hints to point me in the correct direction?

lancer1991

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally got this cam installed. It's on front door duties and doing very well.
Used the 2nd small mount included with the camera because of the ultra small size and is easier to adjust.

View attachment 48702
This type of cam is a perfect fit for a front door cam.
I didn't need a doorbell cam and didn't want visitor to met by a larger "in your face" camera.
I'm not using the built in alarm (sound), but I am testing out the LED to light up when triggered. (solid led light not blinking)
I figure this is handy because people should look up at the light when it's triggered, which will help with ID if needed.
Communication is half duplex,the speaker is average for voice, but the mic is nice and clear.
Having a large post in front of cam is not ideal. Seems to kill off a good chunk of the IR Distance, but it still works good for the immediate area at night.
Overall Image quality is good.
Overall first impressions are very positive for this camera. It appears to be a great little camera that performs better than expected at this price point.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this camera.

View attachment 48703
Image: Dusk, night low light, night with porch light, day time.
Any chance you can share a pic of where and how the mount looks? Was thinking a 4k turret on far corner of porch shooting back at the door and this would be good at the door shooting out.