Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but this camera can also be powered by an optional AC adapter instead of POE?

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any word on if they plan to produce a turret version of this anytime soon?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not going to happen anytime soon

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
can you use a pfa130e mount with this model? I'm sure holes align right?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How is this model compared with the 1831 fixed lens?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
How is this model compared with the 1831 fixed lens?
@Arjun you'll find the 1831 a little brighter thanks to its f1.6 vs f1.9, in my real world testing although that makes a difference, nothing means more to 4K cams at night than AMAZING light :) That is with the exception of the new Ultra AI series where you see apertures down to f1.2 (which helps a great deal). If you don't need a VF cam or an SD slot then the 1831 is still a great little cam, just remember positioning of install and lighting and that will help you maximize what is possible from these cams. I will say again though that (with the exception of the Ultra AI 8MP/4K now showing a lot of promise) you would still want to augment the 1831 with a low light / night killer like the x5442 variants (if you want 4MP) or the x5241 variants (2MP and Andy's @EMPIRETECANDY successor to the 5231). One bonus (whether important to you or not) is these cams are also part of the Pro AI family so you do get some extra features on the x5442 and x5241.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the difference drastic or just mild? I'm hearing different opinions from other users as well.

@Arjun you'll find the 1831 a little brighter thanks to its f1.6 vs f1.9, in my real world testing although that makes a difference, nothing means more to 4K cams at night than AMAZING light :) That is with the exception of the new Ultra AI series where you see apertures down to f1.2 (which helps a great deal). If you don't need a VF cam or an SD slot then the 1831 is still a great little cam, just remember positioning of install and lighting and that will help you maximize what is possible from these cams. I will say again though that (with the exception of the Ultra AI 8MP/4K now showing a lot of promise) you would still want to augment the 1831 with a low light / night killer like the x5442 variants (if you want 4MP) or the x5241 variants (2MP and Andy's @EMPIRETECANDY successor to the 5231). One bonus (whether important to you or not) is these cams are also part of the Pro AI family so you do get some extra features on the x5442 and x5241.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the difference drastic or just mild? I'm hearing different opinions from other users as well.
Drastic or mild, do you mean the image difference between the 2 ? If so, what are the details on your install location and specifically lighting in the area ? Also what are you trying to do with the cam, overview, face shots, augmenting other cams ?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Difference in terms of image quality. This one trying to use for face shots, there's plenty of LED street light, and there is also the 2mp Starlight varifocal bullet being used for vehicular traffic--pretty insane zoom

Drastic or mild, do you mean the image difference between the 2 ? If so, what are the details on your install location and specifically lighting in the area ? Also what are you trying to do with the cam, overview, face shots, augmenting other cams ?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI - This camera is compatible with the PFA-130E Junction Box

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This 4K Starlight cam has a newer firmware for updating. Please use this link to download.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Think this would be good to catch license plates if I zoom it way into the street, from right next to the street?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Think this would be good to catch license plates if I zoom it way into the street, from right next to the street?
Might be worth posting this question in the LPR sub-forum, if you haven't already ... might get the attention of more folks with LPR experience.

I'll start with "I don't have any personal LPR experience" and I only occasionally read threads on it, but it seems like the cameras that get use more often there are ones that perform better in low light (i.e. fewer MP and a larger image sensor). To get an image of a license plate at night that has the least amount of motion blur usually requires changing the shutter speed to a very fast value which has the side effect of making the image darker. So if you start with a camera like this that is "just OK" on low-light image quality from the jump, I'd be a little worried that once you adjust the shutter speed up, the image quality might really tank at night.

If that is the case, this model might be better. It's about as good as you can get with low-light image quality for the buck.
Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
For 100-120ft watching, the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E always the best choice. The latest new firmware also support manual focus, this is really a good updating for this camera use as LPR.