Review-Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E AI Varifocal Bullet

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Multiply that by a dozen or so cameras, and we're talking about an hour, LOL :lol:

I prefer to use “schedule” and change tine 3x per year..takes all of 5 min

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with @bigredfish, I use this cam at a smidge under 100% zoom and use schedule with changes through the year. It’s been rock solid. Even without the schedule though it is worth mentioning that I find the 5241-Z12 way more accurate on focusing than my 5231-Z12 at full zoom. Not to say that one isn’t a great camera and can be accommodated with the schedule tweaks (still have it in rotation and love it) but the 5241 has not seen the same issues in my testing with this.

I prefer to use “schedule” and change tine 3x per year..takes all of 5 min

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree with @bigredfish, I use this cam at a smidge under 100% zoom and use schedule with changes through the year. It’s been rock solid. Even without the schedule though it is worth mentioning that I find the 5241-Z12 way more accurate on focusing than my 5231-Z12 at full zoom. Not to say that one isn’t a great camera and can be accommodated with the schedule tweaks (still have it in rotation and love it) but the 5241 has not seen the same issues in my testing with this.
Luckily I'm going to be only shooting 50' or so from the mount point to where I'm catching license plate at a controlled entrance point (two big pillars make sure of that) so I shouldn't need to zoom all the way in on this one. Hoping to get by with this instead of having to go up to the 7442, and I think it should be fine for this specific use case for LPR.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Luckily I'm going to be only shooting 50' or so from the mount point to where I'm catching license plate at a controlled entrance point (two big pillars make sure of that) so I shouldn't need to zoom all the way in on this one. Hoping to get by with this instead of having to go up to the 7442, and I think it should be fine for this specific use case for LPR.
Be sure to study here: LPR | IP Cam Talk

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Thank you once again @looney2ns for this detail reviews on these cameras as always. I am trying to setup the AI Face shots on this camera. I got the SD card installed. Have these settings on ..

1581711697881.png

Also my detect region I have the full screen selected..

1581712015267.png

1581711729784.png

1581711757253.png

Also Viewing it in IE with Plugin still do not see any snapshots.. what so ever

1581711806844.png

Any Idea what am I missing ?

1581711878300.png

Also its funny under playback I see video but when I try see snapshots under live with that person Icon I do not see anything..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Thank you once again @looney2ns for this detail reviews on these cameras as always. I am trying to setup the AI Face shots on this camera. I got the SD card installed. Have these settings on ..

View attachment 55553

Also my detect region I have the full screen selected..

View attachment 55558

View attachment 55554

View attachment 55555

Also Viewing it in IE with Plugin still do not see any snapshots.. what so ever

View attachment 55556

Any Idea what am I missing ?

View attachment 55557

Also its funny under playback I see video but when I try see snapshots under live with that person Icon I do not see anything..
try setting the detect region smaller, more inline where you would expect faces to be.
Make sure the "Period" schedule is setup correctly.
Make sure the schedule for "recording" is setup correctly.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
try setting the detect region smaller, more inline where you would expect faces to be.
Make sure the "Period" schedule is setup correctly.
Make sure the schedule for "recording" is setup correctly.

Thank You @looney2ns. I just made the detect region much smaller.
1581896799668.png

And the Period also seems to be fine unless I am missing something which I am overlooking..

1581896768761.png

Still No Luck..

Also path seems to be configured correctly. I also have format the SD card using the camera function and restarted the camera.

1581896865912.png

Let me know if, there is a setting that I am overlooking..

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Got it !!! Just figured out. So what it was I needed to zoom in further in the Area. Once I did that It did the trick. I guess it makes sense it needs to pick up Enough facial details :D Once I set the zoom a bit further it started working :D

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Also Another Thing I noticed. When I log out the list of faces goes away upon loging back in I do not see it. So I guess it probably best works with Dahua NVR.. Wish it worked with blueiris. It is kinda cool :D

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also Another Thing I noticed. When I log out the list of faces goes away upon loging back in I do not see it. So I guess it probably best works with Dahua NVR.. Wish it worked with blueiris. It is kinda cool :D
Yes, once you close the browser, they are gone. But you can record them to a SD card in the camera while the browser is closed. Then view the face pics from the SD card via the browser.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, once you close the browser, they are gone. But you can record them to a SD card in the camera while the browser is closed. Then view the face pics from the SD card via the browser.

Thank you Looney, Yea that is what I figured.. I wish That data stayed though that was kinda cool. I guess the way things are right now only way is ..

Option 1 - Get a Dahua NVR
Option 2 - Leave IE open ..
Option 3 - LOL keep requesting the feature from BI who knows maybe it will happen sometime in the future. But again Thank you Everyone on the forum always super helpful :D

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just bought this camera. How an I utilize the audio out to play pre recorded messages and or talk? Thanks.

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is anyone elses day/night options greyed out on this camera? I'm trying to force it to B/W in the night time profile for LPR, and they are greyed out. It is greyed out in all profiles.

Attachments

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I played with the settings a bit more, it seems to grey this out when day/night is selected under profile management. If I go back to general those options are available, but then it seems I lose the ability to change the exposure and such on the night time profile. Is this a firmware bug or limitation?

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone I wanted to know if this camera always has the problem of loss of focus at times, I saw that on the new 5 series I have no problem and when the camera goes from day to night and from night to day the camera does not autofocus so it's rather interesting, what do you think Looney for this model?

Thank you

BICK