Review-Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks but it does not work, need a new firmware... downgrade It is not possible and now the PAN is horrible jerky.

Edit: The problem is with Pale Moon and Firefox with IE everything works perfectly, suggestions?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks but it does not work, need a new firmware... downgrade It is not possible and now the PAN is horrible jerky.

Edit: The problem is with Pale Moon and Firefox with IE everything works perfectly, suggestions?
Un-install the current plugins you have, then go to the cam and install a new one that it will likely have. They will be listed in the start menu as WebPlugin xxxxx.xxx.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No timeline playback after the update
So I'm seeing the same thing, even after a full factory default. But I'm also seeing the same thing on my IPC-HDW5831R-ZE running the latest firmware (V2.800.0000013.0.R, Build Date: 2019-12-02). So...I don't know if this is intended but it seems consistent on recent firmwares at least?

EDIT: Also seeing this on my IPC-T5442TM-AS running V2.800.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2019-11-18

Last edited:

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Un-install the current plugins you have, then go to the cam and install a new one that it will likely have. They will be listed in the start menu as WebPlugin xxxxx.xxx.
I uninstalled all the Webplugin and reinstalled anything required by Pale Moon, I have 6 other cams all fully functional, including the other SD1A203T-GN with the old firmware.

Last edited:

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mother nature still not cooperating, so here are some messy garage videos.

If you watch the reflection in the car window, you can see the IR lights following the pan of the camera.
There are 3 IR emitters, spaced equally around the base.
I think they do surprisingly well.

You can see some reflections in the dome because of the way I have the cam temporarily mounted on the shelves. This normally, I don't believe, would be much of an issue.

All camera settings are at factory defaults, except for the Mic volume, it has been turned down in some of the videos. 25fps, 4096, CBR, H264H, recorded in Blue Iris.

Garage is completely dark except when the car pulls in.

Some old guy hobbling through.

Tour of the junk in the garage.

Moving car action.

Daytime Footage.

Outdoor Nighttime

I know this post is from 2018 but man the complete dark night shots are great for an 1/2.8 censor :D. It's almost as if the shots are equivalent to the 1/1.8” sensor. I wonder what the magic is behind this haha? Kudos looney for the nice videos. Really helps us with buying :D.

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some ideas to be able to display correctly with Pale Moon?
Thanks.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some ideas to be able to display correctly with Pale Moon?
Thanks.
I think you're just running into a limitation/feature/fact of life in the new firmware version. I just browsed to one of my cameras with Internet Explorer and sure enough the playback timeline is there just like in the old days. On Google Chrome it's not there. So...I don't know if it's possible to revert to the old firmware but you have to choose what works for you. Personally the newer version seems more stable and I prefer being able to view the video feed without a plugin in modern browsers, plus I use my NVR for any kind of timeline playback anyways.

I guess this could get reported to Dahua as a bug and be fixed in a newer firmware version, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm just happy we got this newer version that doesn't require plugins, I thought it was the end of the road for firmware updates on this camera as it had stagnated since Nov 2018 otherwise.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're just running into a limitation/feature/fact of life in the new firmware version. I just browsed to one of my cameras with Internet Explorer and sure enough the playback timeline is there just like in the old days. On Google Chrome it's not there. So...I don't know if it's possible to revert to the old firmware but you have to choose what works for you. Personally the newer version seems more stable and I prefer being able to view the video feed without a plugin in modern browsers, plus I use my NVR for any kind of timeline playback anyways.

I guess this could get reported to Dahua as a bug and be fixed in a newer firmware version, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm just happy we got this newer version that doesn't require plugins, I thought it was the end of the road for firmware updates on this camera as it had stagnated since Nov 2018 otherwise.
Chrome with IE Tab extension installed works. With Pale Moon. be sure you install the 32bit version.

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I have the Pale Moon 32bit version; I have 7 cams (two SD1A203T-GN) 6 other cams all fully functional including the other SD1A203T-GN with the old firmware but after upgrade one SD1A203T-GN with this firmware V2.800.0000000.4.R.191105 it no longer works well.

Last edited:

TallPaul

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
New firmware nice.

Mine has developed a habit of resetting itself at 4:15am on occasion (always the same time) and I am hoping this cures that habit... its on its own VLAN so its not an external event causing it, and no other cameras or devices on the PoE switch have issues so suspect its the camera. Just installed new firmware, lets see if it helps.

Does anyone have theirs outside? I am wondering if the dome works ok (if out of direct sunlight)

Covert One

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got one installed outside under the eave in the NE corner of the house. The camera has been in place for about 6-8 months and works well. Haven't noticed any issues with it being a dome.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have theirs outside? I am wondering if the dome works ok (if out of direct sunlight)
I've got a total of 4 of them installed outdoors in two locations, not in direct sunlight so they're covered but they definitely get a little rain and snow blown onto them and they're fine. Couple of them are going on 2 years old now, no problems whatsoever, dome is not getting cloudy or anything like that.

TallPaul

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for outside feedback, will move it outside and try a IPC-T2431T-AS inside where I have it now.

found deep in the menu a setting to reboot once a week - turned that off to hopefully solve my 4am reboot issue!

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm asking a very basic question about this camera. It has any kind of movement on it's own, if IVS is setup?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My experiences so far with this less than recent camera, it's my camera 6. it's good. (...and thanks for the original review Looney2ns)
Condensation
This is just info about Internal condensation with this camera, others have reported this too.
I'm finishing off adding another camera to my installation and decided finally to go with a SD1A203-GN mini-PTZ that I bought a while ago. From new on a bench test and again recently I noticed condensation inside the small dome, though strangely it only appeared when the camera has heated up a bit. It's been stored in the garage for many months where it's dry.

It was easy enough yesterday to unscrew the 3 Torx screws and SD cover screws to take out the silica gel. I placed the slightly opened camera in an oven for about 1 hour around 40 to 45 C (within its 60 C max working temp). The silica gel packet's contents went on a plate into the oven to get reactivated at 275 F for 2 to 3 hours. The small packet has the words silica gel on it but I wonder if its a mixture of clay with a few small blue silica gel indicator balls which go pink after being reactivated in the hot oven. I resealed the packet with some clear sticky tape and put everything back together, adding an SD card in the process.

I'm slightly surprised that several have reported internal condensation with this camera, was the silica gel desiccant all but exhausted when the camera was initially assembled, and/or is the small access lid to the SD not sufficiently making a good enough seal to keep moisture out? As this camera will be mounted outside albeit under a canopy, I decided I'd cover all the screw holes with clear waterproof tape.

The Mount
As others have suggested for this camera I'm using a PFB 204W mount but there's some customization required. Only one of the existing M4 tapped screw holes I could use, 2 others had to be drilled, and tapped and a largish hole had to be made for the network socket to pass through. The camera is slightly oversized for the mount but it's good enough. I used some decorators white acrylic caulk to seal the gap between mount and camera but left a small gap at the rear so if water should get in above the camera it can still drain down. I'll be putting some Dacron insulation in the hole to stop spiders taking up residence. Whilst Dahua seem want you to use a mount that's bigger than this small camera, if you've got the tools and skills the PFB 204W is I'd say a much better alternative. If I do want to change to a DH-IPC-HDW523IP-ZE varifocal or similar I can use a PFB203W mount which uses the same back plate. Incidentally the aluminum mount in some parts is thicker and requires some drilling, particularly when I was making the large hole for the network socket.

Firmware
Currently I'm not choosing to update the firmware.
Overheating
I'm not getting overheating from the IR lights, not warm at all.
Low light performance
It's OK but I'm slightly surprised it's the first of my cameras at dusk to switch to B&W

Edit: of the two screw holes I made I could only tap one, where I made the third hole was in the existing cable slot, the metal was too thin to hold the screw. Fortunately I could reach in with a nut on the end of a finger so it didn't matter that the tap hadn't worked here. I had to use three countersunk head screws to fix the camera's metal plate to the PFB 204W mount.

Last edited: