Review-Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Courtesy of Andy @ Empire Technology @EMPIRETECANDY we have a new Mini PTZ to check out.
This is similar to the one that @tangent reviewed, except this one includes zoom and IR illumination, his model does not.

You can see his review here of the SD12200T-GN: Review: Dahua Starlight Mini PT Dome SD12200T-GN

This camera, the SD1A203T-GN, that I'm reviewing is from Dahua's EcoSavy 3, Lite series of cams.
This camera was provided by Empire Technology in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Specs:
Image Sensor 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS
Effective Pixels 1920(H) x 1080(V), 2 Megapixels
RAM/ROM 512M/128M
Scanning System Progressive
Electronic Shutter Speed 1/1s~1/30,000s
Minimum Illumination Color: 0.005Lux@F1.6; 0Lux@F1.6 (IR on)
S/N Ratio More than 50dB
IR Distance Distance up to 15m (49.2ft)
IR On/Off Control Auto/Manual
IR LEDs 3

Focal Length 2.7mm~8.1mm
Max. Aperture F1.8
Angle of View H: 105.6° ~ 35.2°
Optical Zoom 3x
Focus Control Auto/Manual
Close Focus Distance 100mm~ 1000mm

More specs here: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/product/20180118/SD1A203T-GN_Datasheet_20180118.pdf

Price as of this writing $170.00 shipped via DHL.
Can be purchased here: Aliexpress.com : Buy SD1A203T GN 2MP 3x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera SD1A203T GN, Free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Body is all metal except for the dome and the black area that covers the IR's.
The web interface is pretty much standard Dahua Interface.
Upon logging into the cam for the first time, I did notice they have added additional nag screens.
The first one is to ensure you enter a strong password.
Then they want you to add your email address in case of password recovery.
Then a prompt to turn on Easy4IP, and sign up for their P2P service.
Also one to turn on automatic firmware upgrades. (my opinion, just say no)
My opinion is to skip adding your email address, nor enable Easy4ip for security reasons.
Firmware is dated 12/27/17.

Unless someone just HAS to see it's guts, I will refrain from taking the cam a part, as I assume it's very similar to the version that tangent is reviewing.

Cam and included accessories. Camera has a built-in mic, as well as an audio input and output on the pigtail. Once I get to the video's, you will hear why you may want this option, it's noisy with the built-in mic when moving.

20180329_143558.jpg

20180329_144659.jpg 20180329_145417.jpg

Without mounting plate.

fixed4.jpg

With mounting plate.
20180329_144742.jpg

Door off for reset button, and SD card install.

fixed3.jpg

SD card ready to be locked in.
fixed2.jpg

SD card locked.

Redactedpci1.jjg.jpg

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mother nature still not cooperating, so here are some messy garage videos.

If you watch the reflection in the car window, you can see the IR lights following the pan of the camera.
There are 3 IR emitters, spaced equally around the base.
I think they do surprisingly well.

You can see some reflections in the dome because of the way I have the cam temporarily mounted on the shelves. This normally, I don't believe, would be much of an issue.

All camera settings are at factory defaults, except for the Mic volume, it has been turned down in some of the videos. 25fps, 4096, CBR, H264H, recorded in Blue Iris.

Garage is completely dark except when the car pulls in.

Some old guy hobbling through.

Tour of the junk in the garage.

Moving car action.

Daytime Footage.

Outdoor Nighttime

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My opinion is to skip adding your email address...
The email prompt on the initial login is just used for password reset. I believe it's just stored on the camera and isn't sent to them unless you attempt a password reset which is done by emailing them the contents of a QR code displayed when you click forgot password.

In the unlikely event anyone gets a cam with older firmware than 12/2017 they should definitely upgrade.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Courtesy of Andy @ Empire Technology @EMPIRETECANDY we have a new Mini PTZ to check out.
This is similar to the one that @tangent reviewed, except this one includes zoom and IR illumination, his model does not.

You can see his review here of the SD12200T-GN: Review: Dahua Starlight Mini PT Dome SD12200T-GN

This camera, the SD1A203T-GN, that I'm reviewing is from Dahua's EcoSavy 3, Lite series of cams.
This camera was provided by Empire Technology in exchange for an honest review.

Specs:
Image Sensor 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS
Effective Pixels 1920(H) x 1080(V), 2 Megapixels
RAM/ROM 512M/128M
Scanning System Progressive
Electronic Shutter Speed 1/1s~1/30,000s
Minimum Illumination Color: 0.005Lux@F1.6; 0Lux@F1.6 (IR on)
S/N Ratio More than 50dB
IR Distance Distance up to 15m (49.2ft)
IR On/Off Control Auto/Manual
IR LEDs 3

Focal Length 2.7mm~8.1mm
Max. Aperture F1.8
Angle of View H: 105.6° ~ 35.2°
Optical Zoom 3x
Focus Control Auto/Manual
Close Focus Distance 100mm~ 1000mm

More specs here: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/product/20180118/SD1A203T-GN_Datasheet_20180118.pdf

Price as of this writing $170.00 shipped via DHL.
Can be purchased here: Aliexpress.com : Buy SD1A203T GN 2MP 3x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera SD1A203T GN, Free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Body is all metal except for the dome and the black area that covers the IR's.
The web interface is pretty much standard Dahua Interface.
Upon logging into the cam for the first time, I did notice they have added additional nag screens.
The first one is to ensure you enter a strong password.
Then they want you to add your email address in case of password recovery.
Then a prompt to turn on Easy4IP, and sign up for their P2P service.
Also one to turn on automatic firmware upgrades. (my opinion, just say no)
My opinion is to skip adding your email address, nor enable Easy4ip for security reasons.

Unless someone just HAS to see it's guts, I will refrain from taking the cam a part, as I assume it's very similar to the version that tangent is reviewing.

Cam and included accessories. Camera has a built-in mic, as well as an audio input and output on the pigtail. Once I get to the video's, you will hear why you may want this option, it's noisy with the built-in mic when moving.

View attachment 28097

View attachment 28098 View attachment 28099

Without mounting plate.
View attachment 28100

With mounting plate.
View attachment 28101

Door off for reset button, and SD card install.
View attachment 28102

SD card ready to be locked in.
View attachment 28103

SD card locked.
View attachment 28104
Thanks @looney2ns ! I will get a voice pick up for you. HAP200. The cam too small, so any movement will be loud voice, lol.

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The built in mic on my SD12200T was really loud. Turned it all the way down to 1 and it's still a little louder than my other starlights set at 25 or 30. But I don't hear anything when it moves.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The built in mic on my SD12200T was really loud. Turned it all the way down to 1 and it's still a little louder than my other starlights set at 25 or 30. But I don't hear anything when it moves.
I hear it move on my SD12200T-GN. I agree, the mic is very sensitive. The speed that you operate the camera at determines how loud it is and how much sound the mic picks up. The faster you move it, the louder it is.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The mic on this cam is very good, it's volume level is much higher than the other cams that I have. I run those at 100%, this cam at 40% is roughly the same as the others at 100. Moving the PTZ now isn't so jarring after I discovered this.
It picks up more at the bottom end as well. (bass)

This cam also has an adjustable noise filter, which seems to actually be of some use.

This cam's firmware also adds the ability to use https, and even create a self-signed certificate.

It's rained here everyday for the past 5 days, getting a short break today and I hope to get some outdoor testing finished before the next round of rain.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know if I have a use for this particular camera (depends on the zoom really) but I look forward to seeing your videos.

Al*_*

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It can't hurt...
Best argument ever!

should i have a nvr with or without build in poe (sure, why not, if not needed build in poe you do not have to. it can't hurt)
i am looking for a ptz. what do you think. should i take 3x zoom or go with the 40x zoom (just go with the 40x zoom. it can't hurt)

Ofcourse one can put as much food on his plate as he/she can carry. Can throw it away later if you're not hungry anymore...

Where I live (haha, i know this pulls a trigger here and there) my mother told me... etc.

peace :headbang:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Best argument ever!

should i have a nvr with or without build in poe (sure, why not, if not needed build in poe you do not have to. it can't hurt)
i am looking for a ptz. what do you think. should i take 3x zoom or go with the 40x zoom (just go with the 40x zoom. it can't hurt)

Ofcourse one can put as much food on his plate as he/she can carry. Can throw it away later if you're not hungry anymore...

Where I live (haha, i know this pulls a trigger here and there) my mother told me... etc.

peace :headbang:
On some models Poe can hurt as it will be much louder and more expensive....dame with 3x vs 40x....here the price is virtually the same...use logic it's important...

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks to @looney2ns for posting this review,

Seems like the cover plate (which encloses the IR) is plastic?

I'd like to see how this PTZ operates when in motion; if a video showing how the motor moves when in action, that will also be great.

This is going sound odd, :lol:
What I'm most curious about is if it can be mounted directly against a wall (don't prefer mounts that stick out), and using built-in PTZ function limit it to only moving left and right (not up and down)--is the position of the motor adjustable, or is it designed to be strictly and freely omni-directional and programmed within its web interface? Can the lens be adjusted by hand so that it can pivot in one particular direction only--or can this simply be done through the web interface as well? Is there something inside which would need to be disengaged?

edit: nevermind, @tangent graciously answered this here, Review: Dahua Starlight Mini PT Dome SD12200T-GN

:)

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I'm most curious about is if it can be mounted directly against a wall
The camera's range of motion would mean you'd have the ability to look at a lot of floor and ceiling (pan 0-355). Mechanically, I don't think vertical mounting was a design consideration and I wouldn't recommend it. If you mounted one of these vertically anyway, I think you'd want to mostly use presets to move the camera. The camera's web interface only has to option to rotate the image 180 degrees. If it were mounted to a wall, you'd have to rotate the image in your vms and the image would not automatically flip so you'd still have an upside down image some of the time. If I hold my SD12200T-GN vertically and make it pan around, you can hear an audible difference in how hard it is for the camera to move. There are better fixed cameras for vertical wall mounting.

This camera is designed to be mounted to a flat horizontal surface like a ceiling.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you @tangent

That's the word I'm looking for, presets :)

I was trying not to drilling any more vinyl (like to maintain the clean look) -- and thought I could this PTZ to compensate (affixing to an existing fixture)
Looks l'll need to improvise and go with a vari-focal fixed camera instead, lol

PTZ looks like nice, but based on overall quality of materials being used, it seems more suitable for indoors as another user mentioned

I'm still looking forward to video samples though ( @tangent and @looney2ns ) , therefore please do keep us posted, greatly appreciate your reviews

Cheers :D

The camera's range of motion would mean you'd have the ability to look at a lot of floor and ceiling (pan 0-355). Mechanically, I don't think vertical mounting was a design consideration and I wouldn't recommend it. If you mounted one of these vertically anyway, I think you'd want to mostly use presets to move the camera. The camera's web interface only has to option to rotate the image 180 degrees. If it were mounted to a wall, you'd have to rotate the image in your vms and the image would not automatically flip so you'd still have an upside down image some of the time. If I hold my SD12200T-GN vertically and make it pan around, you can hear an audible difference in how hard it is for the camera to move. There are better fixed cameras for vertical wall mounting.

This camera is designed to be mounted to a flat horizontal surface like a ceiling.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing sample video from a distance of . . . say . . . 3 to 6 feet. At both maximum zoom and minimum zoom.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you @tangent

That's the word I'm looking for, presets :)

I was trying not to drilling any more vinyl (like to maintain the clean look) -- and thought I could this PTZ to compensate (affixing to an existing fixture)
Looks l'll need to improvise and go with a vari-focal fixed camera instead, lol

PTZ looks like nice, but based on overall quality of materials being used, it seems more suitable for indoors as another user mentioned

I'm still looking forward to video samples though ( @tangent and @looney2ns ) , therefore please do keep us posted, greatly appreciate your reviews

Cheers :D
I agree with @tangent I would not mount this cam in any orientation other than on the bottom of a flat horizontal surface, like a ceiling or sofit.

Mounted correctly, I see no reason for it to not be used outdoors, other than the normal issue's with domes outdoors.

Yes the black plate over the IR's is plastic.