Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
All, I just spoke with @EMPIRETECANDY as I know some people prefer to purchase through Amazon and that this cam was sold out there. He just informed me that he has 4 more in stock up on Amazon now if anyone is interested. Here is the link

SD49225XA-HNR At Amazon

Hmmm... cannot reach this page

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All, I just spoke with @EMPIRETECANDY as I know some people prefer to purchase through Amazon and that this cam was sold out there. He just informed me that he has 4 more in stock up on Amazon now if anyone is interested. Here is the link

SD49225XA-HNR At Amazon
I think I got his last one from the Ali store. He shipped it on Monday, and it's inbound.

RodeoGeorge

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually have multiple setups and use both. Right now I’m focused on the NVRs for the Ultra AI integration and some other things I’m working on. Will be updating my 5216 review test with more how to’s soon to try and assist people there as well.
HTH

@Wildcat_1 are you using BI or nvr?

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually have multiple setups and use both. Right now I’m focused on the NVRs for the Ultra AI integration and some other things I’m working on. Will be updating my 5216 review test with more how to’s soon to try and assist people there as well.
HTH
Cool. I'll be running this camera on BI5, and was wondering how the setup worked.

I saw that you said you ran a new run of cat6 for this camera. Is that required, or will 5e work?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
5e is absolutely fine but I prefer (due to the hassle) to run Monoprice’s excellent CAT6 on each run now. Saves time in long run and is a very high quality cable. If you have easy access to your cable runs and have 5e spools lying around then can absolutely use that. If buying new and or hard to get to areas then would STRONGLY recommend running CAT6 and being done :)

Cool. I'll be running this camera on BI5, and was wondering how the setup worked.

I saw that you said you ran a new run of cat6 for this camera. Is that required, or will 5e work?

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1
So I just got the same camera today, and I'm reading through the manual, and ohh man....I'm lost. I have no idea what to do with the dip switches. Baud rate? Parity setup? Is the address it refers to the IP address?
Any advice?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@danimal86 first of all.........breathe :) For most people you want need to adjust any DIP switches. First get the camera mounted (bench mount good idea for initial testing and setup), apply power (from POE switch / injector etc depending on how you intend to power). Once powered on and connected to you network you can then connect to the camera using configtool OR if you want to connect directly to configure then adjust your network settings on your chosen machine (windows running IE etc) to 192.168.1.x and point your web browser to 192.168.1.108 (default Dahua IP) where you will then be promoted to setup your login and can go about configuring the camera.
Let me know with any questions to this point and we’ll pickup after you get there.

@Wildcat_1
So I just got the same camera today, and I'm reading through the manual, and ohh man....I'm lost. I have no idea what to do with the dip switches. Baud rate? Parity setup? Is the address it refers to the IP address?
Any advice?

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@danimal86 first of all.........breathe :) For most people you want need to adjust any DIP switches. First get the camera mounted (bench mount good idea for initial testing and setup), apply power (from POE switch / injector etc depending on how you intend to power). Once powered on and connected to you network you can then connect to the camera using configtool OR if you want to connect directly to configure then adjust your network settings on your chosen machine (windows running IE etc) to 192.168.1.x and point your web browser to 192.168.1.108 (default Dahua IP) where you will then be promoted to setup your login and can go about configuring the camera.
Let me know with any questions to this point and we’ll pickup after you get there.
Thanks @Wildcat_1
I'll get it mounted in the workbench and let you know when I get logged in.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1
So I've got it setup test-bench style with it screwed to a board and clamped into the vice.
I installed dahua toolbox and initialized it. For some reason when I try to launch the IE webpage and log in my password doesn't work. Does it need to reboot or something? I was able to add it to BI using admin and my password, but now I can't get the IE page to load. I removed it from BI, and still nothing.
Ideas?
Edit:. So I unplugged the network cable and after it showed back up in the toolbox, I was able to get the login page to show up. And the forgot password seems to work now (showing me the qr code. I'm waiting for it to send me the security code to my email so I can reset my password.
Edit v2: got the password reset by downloading the dmss app. Reset password still doesn't work. I'll try again.
So i've been able to log into the camera via IE. The interface is painfully slow to react to the ptz controls (if they even work). I'm hoping that a firmware update is needed.
i found this site where the 49225 is listed. But how do i download the firmware?
I cant even get into the settings menus. they just dont show a blank background.

I let the camera sit there for a while and came back to it. the UI is so much better! It must have updated while it was idle.
I started playing around with all the settings and i need to go back to @Wildcat_1 review and figure out what a good baseline will be.

15767844881952957575164261502307.jpg

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
let me know with any questions, glad you got it up on your bench.

@Wildcat_1
So I've got it setup test-bench style with it screwed to a board and clamped into the vice.
I installed dahua toolbox and initialized it. For some reason when I try to launch the IE webpage and log in my password doesn't work. Does it need to reboot or something? I was able to add it to BI using admin and my password, but now I can't get the IE page to load. I removed it from BI, and still nothing.
Ideas?
Edit:. So I unplugged the network cable and after it showed back up in the toolbox, I was able to get the login page to show up. And the forgot password seems to work now (showing me the qr code. I'm waiting for it to send me the security code to my email so I can reset my password.
Edit v2: got the password reset by downloading the dmss app. Reset password still doesn't work. I'll try again.
So i've been able to log into the camera via IE. The interface is painfully slow to react to the ptz controls (if they even work). I'm hoping that a firmware update is needed.
i found this site where the 49225 is listed. But how do i download the firmware?
I cant even get into the settings menus. they just dont show a blank background.

I let the camera sit there for a while and came back to it. the UI is so much better! It must have updated while it was idle.
I started playing around with all the settings and i need to go back to @Wildcat_1 review and figure out what a good baseline will be.

View attachment 52567

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
let me know with any questions, glad you got it up on your bench.
Thanks man. I need to try to find a manual on this thing, I've just been playing with settings trying to find a sweet spot that works.
I'm noticing that the motion tracking works when on that setting page, but just on the main video display, it's just static. Thoughts?

Care to share your settings?

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I always like to set the camera up within the camera web GUI then adjust recording options etc in BI or the AI NVR.
On some settings such as custom bitrate it’s even more important to do that in cam as recording platforms such as NVR sometimes cap the custom lower than the cam supports. Therefore depending on needs this can be crucial

@Wildcat_1
do you change all the settings in the cameras setting, and just use BI for recording?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I went for the 2mp in the end as the 4mp version keeps getting delayed at Dahua. I had a spare PFA120 Junction box & PFB305 Wall bracket so they are installed and waiting for the new camera to arrive in the next few days.

Anyone thinking of buying any camera's from Andy and are in the UK , you need to adjust your budget as you will get charged Import duties & Tax which you have to pay before it's delivered.

Just a quick question will this injector be ok for the camera to power it POE Tenda POE30G-AT 30 W IEEE802.3 Gigabit PoE Injector, power distance extension of up to 100 meters for standard cat. 5e and cat. 6 Ethernet cable , Plug and play, no any configuration required,: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

tundradude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this look upwards. Where i need to mount this camera it will slighly on the bottom a of a hill and i need to look upwards. Thanks

denovich

n3wb
Reaction score
Should be plenty. Camera seems to want about 15W at night, at the end of a 75' run... a little more than my Unifi 8-port switch wanted to give it.

Does this look upwards. Where i need to mount this camera it will slighly on the bottom a of a hill and i need to look upwards. Thanks
I'd estimate it only looks up about 5-10 degrees above dead level.