Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj

Thanks for the kinds words. Glad I was able to get your system to a better place and increase the performance, ability and results of the cam for you.

I posted back on page 42 that I purchased the 4MP version from @EMPIRETECANDY and how incredible it is right out of the box.

I had tried some tweaks and thought I had it pretty good but sent a clip to @Wildcat_1 to see his thoughts. He made a few suggestions and improved it greatly and offered to jump onto the camera to tweak it some more.

All I can say is WOW. He has a reputation on this site of getting the most out of the cameras, and he doesn't disappoint. He knows every little trick, and many of them are opposite what you would think trying to set it up. This thing is so many times more better now, and I was generally pleased with it before he jumped on and made some tweaks.

The night image and tracking was what I felt was lacking in my setup. He offered to jump on it during the day and during the night and the improvement he made during the day was incredible. He was making it do what I wanted it to do but I couldn't get it there. The night is decent but we both agreed it could be better and he offered some light suggestions to try and then we will take another look at it. He also offered a few other suggestions to get the most out of my entire system.

What incredible resources we have on this forum. If he offers to jump on your system to help you out, I cannot recommend enough to take him up on his gracious offer - you will not be disappointed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There were so many LOL. And yes, it is clear that each person's location makes a big difference and what works someplace may not work somewhere else.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details, so I had mine adjusted fairly well, but the little changes he made also impacts tracking of items and I was surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it. Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do.

In my case, I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), he could make changes to gamma and some others to make the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, but he didn't like the rest of the image, so he went back to his prior settings and turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post. He could also fix that somewhere else, but he worked on finding the balance between all the different scenarios the cam could be autotracking in. In short, he had several different tricks in how to get around it and probably had a few more up his sleeve if we didn't like where we settled on.

A big issue I had was I couldn't get the autotrack to zoom in closer than 7x. Just by changing your initial FOV and adjusting IVS size to give what he called headroom made a big difference. Not using a minimum target size made a big difference. This thing will now zoom in 25x and have a nice tight shot of someone.

I know there were lots of other little things that he did just based on his experiences with all different types of cameras, but these were a few of the big ones I remember.

Like I said, I was generally pleased with how I had set it up, but he took it to a whole new level. If he offers to help, take him up on it - you will not be disappointed.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Great to hear that is all working great for you know. What is your minimum target size now?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, I would not even thought about that. Thanks, I will try it and see what it does.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly! One of the things opposite you would think - I was trying small sizes and large sizes.

Leapy

n3wb
Reaction score
Just curious folks, As the camera supports "video metadata" & Face detection is there a way to combine these two into one Preset? Seems like you have to have either Face Detection or Auto Tracking, I was ideally wanting video metadata taking the registration of the car while autotracking was "tracking" the car. I have tried everything and it seems like I need 2 presets to do it.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Leapy
Depending on whether you are running the Auto Tracking from factory version or not then Yes there are options to accomplish Video Meta OR Face Detection + your regular Deep IVS rules. Take a look at what I mentioned in post #839 where I mentioned that in the latest FW you can now add either one of these (Video Metadata or Face Detection) at a Global Rule level (Smart Plan) that sits on top of your regular Deep IVS rules. Works very well and as I mentioned there really expands what is possible.

HTH

Just curious folks, As the camera supports "video metadata" & Face detection is there a way to combine these two into one Preset? Seems like you have to have either Face Detection or Auto Tracking, I was ideally wanting video metadata taking the registration of the car while autotracking was "tracking" the car. I have tried everything and it seems like I need 2 presets to do it.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometime it moves a bit when a the vehicle is in view, but it won't track it. Other times it tracks nicely.
Why there is a difference?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the difference between 59225 and 49225 ?

I see specs show 59225 has 6x IR but 49225 has 4x

Also 59225 is heavier somehow hmm

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Avoid the 59225, it is older generation and the tracking is very bad. Mine is up for sale and I have replaced it, with the 49225XA. Watch out, because there is an older 49225 as well.
I appreciate the offer Wildcat. I will DM you, when I have it set up for you. Thank you

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Avoid the 59225, it is older generation and the tracking is very bad. Mine is up for sale and I have replaced it, with the 49225XA. Watch out, because there is an older 49225 as well.
I appreciate the offer Wildcat. I will DM you, when I have it set up for you. Thank you
I see. Andy is also selling a Mini PTZ 4x 29204. I wonder how well that works in comparison for situations not requiring too much zoom.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does the 49225 come with a mount to hang it off a wall ?

Also has anyone in canada imported one ? Wondering how much Duty I will get hit with.