Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In conjunction with fixed cameras (assuming everyone having a similar setup), are you all setting the IVS rules to Preset 1 or under each individual Preset? Under the Idle settings, the PTZ doesn't go back to its original Home (Preset1).
Remind me, is your setup based on a NVR or Blue Iris?

On the PTZ, each of its own Presets will contain IVS rules specific to that Preset / scene. If your setup has other cameras calling the PTZ to specific presets using a Blue Iris Alert > Action > On Alert item, and the PTZ stays where it was called, despite having an Idle Action that ought to send it back to a different Preset, you can add further refinements to the other camera's Blue Iris Actions list. For example, you can set your Alerts > Actions > On Alert to Pause for x seconds and then command the PTZ back home, or set up an Alerts > Actions > On reset (meaning, the trigger expired) which sends the PTZ back where you want it.

I've noticed the same issue occasionally where this model, and also my smaller Dahua PTZ, will not do their Idle Actions after getting a call from a different camera, so it may be a minor bug they need to look at.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
For now, this PTZ is connected to an NVR however I would like to use this with BI at some point, how is the CPU utilization when using a PTZ with Blue Iris?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For now, this PTZ is connected to an NVR however I would like to use this with BI at some point, how is the CPU utilization when using a PTZ with Blue Iris?
Shouldn’t be any different than adding a non PTZ camera. Even when I had BI doing the tours on my prior PTZ I didn’t notice any CPU issues.

Word of caution, and maybe it’s just the one I have, but whenever I connect BI to this PTZ it screws the camera up. I’ll have the camera set up with IVS rules so it moves presets based on movement. Then when I connect/add it in BI the camera starts randomly rebooting and missing triggers.

I’d be curious if anyone else has had this problem? I am aware of an issue with BI re-enabling motion detection within the camera as detailed in another thread. But something is going on with my specific camera where it looses its mind and has to be factory defaulted to recover. Still working with @Wildcat_1 to resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluepine

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking to purchase this through Andi. What’s the best way? Ali, Amazon or direct?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends where you are, if you're in the US, have Amazon Prime, and need a PTZ immediately, buy from Amazon. Otherwise buy from Andy by requesting an invoice through direct message ( @EMPIRETECANDY ), he will set you up with a good deal and ship through DHL

Hey guys. Looking to purchase this through Andi. What’s the best way? Ali, Amazon or direct?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I highly recommend going direct through Andy! But it might be best to wait and see if a future firmware update solves the issues with it. I’ve had mine since January 17th and it looses track of its positioning, won’t properly move to manual preset calls, after a short while it seems to ignore IVS rules, randomly reboots, and quite frequently when manually panning it moves painfully slow but the on-screen display shows the coordinates/position incrementing as though it was doing high speed 360s. It is useless to me as-is right now.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The experiences seem to vary from person-to-person. Have you tried fiddling around with the target size for keeping track of positioning? The Auto-track time should be extended as well if that's the case. The only current issue I have with mine is the inability to go back to Preset 1 (even after a minute); it only switches presets when other fixed cameras detect motion. However, this Preset 1 issue seems to be prevalent on the overall majority of Dahua PTZ's as per other users on the forum. Can be resolved through minor tweaking in the web interface and at the firmware level. I had to assign presets directly on the an NVR with latest AI 4.0 software; there is a serious bug on the NVR firmware (AI 4.0) the channel detection is not parallel to what is configured directly on the NVR; PTZ is assigned CH02 but on the Web UI CH02 is assigned to a different camera altogether. Dahua needs to re-implement address this in their next firmware update. It shouldn't be this trivial, lol

I highly recommend going direct through Andy! But it might be best to wait and see if a future firmware update solves the issues with it. I’ve had mine since January 17th and it looses track of its positioning, won’t properly move to manual preset calls, after a short while it seems to ignore IVS rules, randomly reboots, and quite frequently when manually panning it moves painfully slow but the on-screen display shows the coordinates/position incrementing as though it was doing high speed 360s. It is useless to me as-is right now.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The experiences seem to vary from person-to-person. Have you tried fiddling around with the target size for keeping track of positioning? The Auto-track time should be extended as well if that's the case. The only current issue I have with mine is the inability to go back to Preset 1 (even after a minute); it only switches presets when other fixed cameras detect motion. However, this Preset 1 issue seems to be prevalent on the overall majority of Dahua PTZ's as per other users on the forum. Can be resolved through minor tweaking in the web interface and at the firmware level. I had to assign presets directly on the an NVR with latest AI 4.0 software; it used to be easier directly through the web browser but the option to enable PTZ activation on the web user interface has long since disappeared. Dahua needs to reimplement that feature in their next firmware update.
From what I’ve read it’s a mixed bag as to whether you are going to have issues. I’ve been working with @Wildcat_1 who has been amazingly helpful spending a couple nights remoted in to help me fine-tune. We get it working properly with IVS rules but then after it sits a while problems develop. I have been unable to successfully connect BI to it without crashing the camera and it’s features. Every time it starts to act up I have to go in and factory default and set everything up again.

Even when we have IVS rules set up and working properly I am unable to call presets without it losing its positioning. It will start to spin around but physically stop while the display shows it as still moving.

I am confident that Andy will take care of me if I decide to do an exchange or return. I’m still hopeful that the issues will be resolved. I want a second but am not confident in the resolution to risk another $350 on one yet.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly, I would get it replaced. I'm sure you have also attempted to reflash the firmware and reset factory defaults, but don't loose hope. :) I purchased mine directly from on Amazon as I was eager to test it out and this model has a lot of potential. At this price point and the number features (majority working for me), I'm a bit content. It will also boil down to lot size and its intended purpose. I'm glad to hear that Andy is working you on this one, but definitely see if you can get it replaced with one that still has auto-tracking. Someone here mentioned that the feature was still there, but I'd rather wait for official confirmation before jumping to conclusion :D

From what I’ve read it’s a mixed bag as to whether you are going to have issues. I’ve been working with @Wildcat_1 who has been amazingly helpful spending a couple nights remoted in to help me fine-tune. We get it working properly with IVS rules but then after it sits a while problems develop. I have been unable to successfully connect BI to it without crashing the camera and it’s features. Every time it starts to act up I have to go in and factory default and set everything up again.

Even when we have IVS rules set up and working properly I am unable to call presets without it losing its positioning. It will start to spin around but physically stop while the display shows it as still moving.

I am confident that Andy will take care of me if I decide to do an exchange or return. I’m still hopeful that the issues will be resolved. I want a second but am not confident in the resolution to risk another $350 on one yet.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
By the way, I was able to fix the Preset issue just now, coincidence? :p (1) I had to disable the idle motion setting, (2) I had to temporarily remove the recording schedule in the PTZ's Web UI (somehow wasn't fond of overlapping Time Task and Recording Scheduling) (3). I re-added the recording schedule (4). Now all seems well. Seems to be some internal conflict---most definitely a firmware bug which needs to be addressed to alleviate frustration, lol

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Frankly, it shouldn't have been this trivial. Dahua should just play it safe and remove software features that seem over-redundant or just doesn't work; the over-engineering results in bugs to emerge.

Last edited:

lowtek

n3wb
Reaction score
I just ordered the 2MP version of this from Andy ... Besides the auto tracking issues, are you guys recommending or not recommending this camera? Will be using it with Andy's OEM NVR.

Basically, I want to set it up to sweep my driveway area. Recently had my truck stolen. I'll also have a bullet (or two) on those areas.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m still recommending this camera. There is a small number of owners not too happy but that shouldn’t disappoint you. There was a small handful of quality control issues (to be expected in large production environment). Depending on how you configure yours will dictate your level of satisfaction. There is a slight learning curve but that shouldn’t discourage you

I just ordered the 2MP version of this from Andy ... Besides the auto tracking issues, are you guys recommending or not recommending this camera? Will be using it with Andy's OEM NVR.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember if you do have issues with idle to preset that you can get around this by setting your PTZ on a tour / patrol and calling that. The PTZ can still be called by other cams and will remain (for duration set at preset) then you can have idle kick in to the tour rather than a specific preset. You then get the benefit of the PTZ doing its own tour, moving from preset to preset (with their own defined IVS triggers that kick in when tripped) + PTZ activation (through BI or AI NVR) calling the cam to a preset as their triggers are tripped. Works really well. You can also use nested triggers too when designing complex setups.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Something worth trying, will update here :)

Remember if you do have issues with idle to preset that you can get around this by setting your PTZ on a tour / patrol and calling that. The PTZ can still be called by other cams and will remain (for duration set at preset) then you can have idle kick in to the tour rather than a specific preset. You then get the benefit of the PTZ doing its own tour, moving from preset to preset (with their own defined IVS triggers that kick in when tripped) + PTZ activation (through BI or AI NVR) calling the cam to a preset as their triggers are tripped. Works really well. You can also use nested triggers too when designing complex setups.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
To add to this.. calling the tour instead of a preset has the benefit of allowing you to set the speed at which the camera moves to a preset. Tours work for me so long as the speed is 5 or lower. Anything higher and it slips its positioning. If I just called the preset directly the cam tries to get there as fast as it can which causes it to slip.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any slippage thus far. Obviously this will depend on the extent of the preset. I'll continue monitoring this and update here if any slip transpires.

To add to this.. calling the tour instead of a preset has the benefit of allowing you to set the speed at which the camera moves to a preset. Tours work for me so long as the speed is 5 or lower. Anything higher and it slips its positioning. If I just called the preset directly the cam tries to get there as fast as it can which causes it to slip.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
simple question about the power consumption
when I check the common Dahua NVR's, all I can see is support for POE standard 802.3af.
that camera however, is 802.3at. in theory, it could consume twice as much power.

is there any Dahua POE NVR that anyone here have experience with?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
5216 NVR works well. I also run this cam off a Ubiquiti POE switch then attach it to the 5216 without issue.

simple question about the power consumption
when I check the common Dahua NVR's, all I can see is support for POE standard 802.3af.
that camera however, is 802.3at. in theory, it could consume twice as much power.

is there any Dahua POE NVR that anyone here have experience with?

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Wildcat.
So it means that the camera is working on 802.3at but consumes no more than 13W (half the power that 802.3at supports).

By the way, I'm a little confused about the face recognition feature: some cameras support it, some NVRs supports it and I still do not know if it's a feature of the camera, the NVR or both.
Another question is about viewing everything VIA TV: to be able to check cams from bedroom or living room, do I need to use HDMI <> network transmitter + receiver? any other way?

Yet another question about the camera: what happens if the camera is busy tracking and zooming a car or a cat while an intruder is passing and is not in the field of view?
What if the same person is identified by one cam while the other cam can not yet identify him? could the info be shared? would the second camera trigger the alarm? can I setup the system so that it's enough to identify a single family member to avoid triggering the alarm?