Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any suggestions on getting better quality video of motion? I am still trying to dial in my alert /tracking settings but the quality on my test walks is terrible. Thanks.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any suggestions on getting better quality video of motion? I am still trying to dial in my alert /tracking settings but the quality on my test walks is terrible. Thanks.
your tracking seems good. But I check your RJ45 connections, or possibly did you use CCA wire instead of solid copper?. Also, are you running a POE+ switch?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are using Blue Iris to record, correct The tearing is possibly an issue with settings on your BI PC, or in Blue Iris.
Do you have a monitor plugged into the BI pc?
Several thread on the subject: Search results for tearing.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Wildcat.
So it means that the camera is working on 802.3at but consumes no more than 13W (half the power that 802.3at supports).

By the way, I'm a little confused about the face recognition feature: some cameras support it, some NVRs supports it and I still do not know if it's a feature of the camera, the NVR or both.
Another question is about viewing everything VIA TV: to be able to check cams from bedroom or living room, do I need to use HDMI <> network transmitter + receiver? any other way?

Yet another question about the camera: what happens if the camera is busy tracking and zooming a car or a cat while an intruder is passing and is not in the field of view?
What if the same person is identified by one cam while the other cam can not yet identify him? could the info be shared? would the second camera trigger the alarm? can I setup the system so that it's enough to identify a single family member to avoid triggering the alarm?
This is why more fixed cameras are almost always better than a PTZ. There's always the high possiblity that the PTZ will be looking the wrong way when something happens.
A system that is properly designed with the proper fixed cams, can overcome this.
Study this: Cliff Notes

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is why more fixed cameras are almost always better than a PTZ. There's always the high possiblity that the PTZ will be looking the wrong way when something happens.
A system that is properly designed with the proper fixed cams, can overcome this.
Study this: Cliff Notes
I agree, Never will disappointed with a fixed camera. I spend so much time futzing and tinkering with my PTZ camera. Figure I will never get to a point where I'm a 100% satisfied, Right now after 2 months of messing with all the setting, maybe i'm 50% satisfied. Best to give it some more time till they get it right,

Reaction score
You are using Blue Iris to record, correct The tearing is possibly an issue with settings on your BI PC, or in Blue Iris.
Do you have a monitor plugged into the BI pc?
Several thread on the subject: Search results for tearing.
I have been reading this site daily since I found it/joined and this is the first I've come across this emulator thing. Hard to believe! I guess since I never had any "tearing" on any of my fixed cams, I had no reason to research it. Anyway thanks @looney2ns
for the link and I will first try the power settings and if needed I will get an emulator. Machine isn't really headless, but I switch monitor inputs when I need to make adjustments so it is more or less.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any slippage thus far. Obviously this will depend on the extent of the preset. I'll continue monitoring this and update here if any slip transpires.
Thanks to @Wildcat_1 my issues appear to be resolved! Reverted to the 8/19 firmware release and it solved all of my issues with preset slip and random reboots!! I'm guessing the 11/21 firmware is not ready for primetime yet. Going to give it a few weeks to really run it through its paces and then hopefully convince the wife that I've behaved enough to buy another! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad I was able to help as we walked through the IVS / Preset Autotrack equivalent configuration I’ve spoken about, then getting you on 8/19 with lots of Burn in testing to make sure all was good :)

As I mentioned in this thread before, for me the 8/19 is the most stable for now so always recommend going back to that on this cam for now. Use it myself on 49225s as well.

Enjoy the cam, the setup (should be well dialed in and crisp) and reach out if you need any more help !

Thanks to @Wildcat_1 my issues appear to be resolved! Reverted to the 8/19 firmware release and it solved all of my issues with preset slip and random reboots!! I'm guessing the 11/21 firmware is not ready for primetime yet. Going to give it a few weeks to really run it through its paces and then hopefully convince the wife that I've behaved enough to buy another! Haha!

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Argh! I spoke too soon! Preset slip is back. Just did default x5, firmware upgrade x5, and default x5 hoping to clear out whatever was causing it but no go.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ping me back in DM or Skype and let’s take a look. FW upgrade x 5 you mean to 8/19 not back to 11/21 right ?

Argh! I spoke too soon! Preset slip is back. Just did default x5, firmware upgrade x5, and default x5 hoping to clear out whatever was causing it but no go.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ping me back in DM or Skype and let’s take a look. FW upgrade x 5 you mean to 8/19 not back to 11/21 right ?
Correct with 8/19. Auto-track is working well. But calling presets causes it to slip.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Calling presets on mine doesn't cause it to slip; definitely a quality control issue in terms of what you're experiencing

Correct with 8/19. Auto-track is working well. But calling presets causes it to slip.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Calling presets on mine doesn't cause it to slip; definitely a quality control issue in terms of what you're experiencing
I have it sitting steady on my driveway and auto-tracking people who walk by my mailbox. It can track people down the road after passing the mailbox and then return to the driveway when the tracking is complete. But if I manually move the camera to the same spot where the tracking ended, and then call the driveway preset, it slips and doesn't make it there.

Edit: I'm going to see what Wildcat thinks but I wonder if Andy would do an exchange for me :)

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It could be an isolated case, definitely see what can be done :)

Steve-K

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to learn more about how to use this camera for triangulation. Unless triangulation is slang I seem to find very little mentioned about this. Is it a Blue Iris feature or firmware? Is it brand specific? Can it work across all cams on the same network?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Triangulation is the process of using PTZ activation as part of your overall setup between 3 cams. The cams could be 2 fixed, 1 PTZ or other combinations but generally I advise 2 fixes 1 PTZ in the mix. To make this work you need all cams connected through a single unit whether BI or AI NVR as that unit needs to be aware of all cams in the mix and control accordingly. For full disclosure you could achieve similar with scripting but most people ain’t go time for that ;)

If you want more specifics, DM me and we can talk about what you have currently and what could be possible.

HTH and in my next PTZ review I will be covering using IVS to emulate auto tracking or take auto tracking to the next level. If you look at some of my vids in this review I show PTZ activation as well in some of the shots so you get an initial idea.

HTH

I would like to learn more about how to use this camera for triangulation. Unless triangulation is slang I seem to find very little mentioned about this. Is it a Blue Iris feature or firmware? Is it brand specific? Can it work across all cams on the same network?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Better News!!

Anyone who wants the new autotracking firmware I can share when available so don't worry you don't have to be a client I'm not here to make money I like to share.