Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
For less than 300 it's a steal IMHO and I have even thought of putting one in my yard but would be an overkill. I will be installing the New Dahua Tioc in the yard soon though.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Less than $300?!
I also have the old 59225 and I was thinking of using it in the backyard, but that is way overkill. I rather sell it and get a few other cameras.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Less than $300?!
I also have the old 59225 and I was thinking of using it in the backyard, but that is way overkill. I rather sell it and get a few other cameras.
Certainly a lot of money but by comparison it’s an affordable camera! Ever since I got my first one I knew I’d want one in the back to toy with. If it weren’t for a nice overtime check I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Less than $300?!
Sell it, never a PTZ can always fit in they have more versatility than fixed cameras. I have 4 PTZ's (1 large 3 small) around my place and i love being able to move them when i need to look at things.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have in my patio a small Dahua ptz. An Amcrest in the garage and this one at the front. I have three ptzs at the moment, but I agree with you, they are very convenient. I may be switching out the regular cams, with ptzs. Hopefully they will be making some smaller ones in the future.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sell it, never a PTZ can always fit in they have more versatility than fixed cameras. I have 4 PTZ's (1 large 3 small) around my place and i love being able to move them when i need to look at things.
Agree!! My property is covered by fixed cameras and I got my first PTZ to just play around with and fell in love with it.

Laying in bed and hear noise outside.. pull out my phone and look around with the PTZ to see what it was, even if it was out of my fixed camera coverage! Want to watch the wildlife, PTZ is perfect for it. I have a monitor in my office and sometimes I’ll see one of the dogs getting into something or barking at something. PTZ will be perfect to quick look around and see what it is. I guess that’s part laziness too! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1dodosn

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got my first PTZ from Andy. It took me awhile but I finally have it working nicely -- I think. I have various Trip Lines set up and have the Alarm tracking time set to 300 seconds. It works perfectly and follows me around the yard. Since I am a newbie with PTZs, what exactly is the Auto Tracking feature that Dahua disabled late last year? Is this tracking that doesn't require a Trip Line? I want to know if I am missing something.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They completely eliminated the ability to auto track, meaning it would not follow you around at all. Since it is following you, all is good and you are not missing anything (well actually you might be missing a function to do two different things as there are two separate FWs now, but if you wanted autotrack, all is good).

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great thread, great review, and great team work. I read my self in to sending Andy an e-mail to see if there are anymore with auto tracking.

1dodosn

n3wb
Reaction score
I just ordered a second SD49225XA from Andy (via AliExpress). The firmware in the one I have installed is from March 2020, so frankly I was surprised I could get Auto Tracking to work.

1dodosn

n3wb
Reaction score
One annoying thing is I keep getting this random "Preset Invalid" message. I only have one preset. I searched and this seems to be a problem but I didn't find an exact way to fix this

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After I bought it I checked around for the PFA120 junction box and all the cheap ones were from China. So I contacted Andy the next day and he has them for $18. I asked him to ship the box with my cams and he said they are already on the way so to show support for Andy I bought the box from his Amazon store. Amazon is now telling that the box is running late, maybe up to 2 days. I'm getting a feeling I might get my cams from China faster then the box from Amazon.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
So, I have hung onto my analog system for nearly 10 years now. Some cameras have failed and finally my ptz fried when we got power back after the last storm. It is WAY past due to set up my dahua nvr and cameras- they've been sitting idle now for around 4 years waiting to go up. I've been THAT uninspired to tear down and redo the whole system.

I have my sights set on the 49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ from Andy- we've chatted recently and I've bought from him before. I'm really kinda hoping that this ptz fits my ptz mount already installed (the thumbnail pic under my user name). That would be a huge bonus. Anyone ever retrofit like that with this camera?

Questions to you users-

Very noisy? I know noise can be heard in the house as mine can (could). Just wondering if you find the tilting as noisy as the panning.

**For long time users (if you can say how long it's been up too)- how has the clear face shield held up? Any signs of discoloring? Ever have a problem on the inside of the shield with hazing or fog? Can the face shield be easily removed? The one on my analog camera lasted many years without issue but it eventually succumbed to discoloring and hazing, like a car headlamp when it fogs over- around year 6 and luckily it was only the part around the IR- not the lens shield itself. Plastic shields on PTZ's and domes WILL eventually suffer from this. Just wondering how the camera has been holding up for the longest users.

Thank all. Still deciding but I really think I'll miss a ptz too much not to install another one.

Last edited:

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It is very silent, compared to the 59225. The 59225 was giving out almost like a melody, when it was moving around.