Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn off High definition and switch algorithm to simple

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turn off High definition and switch algorithm to simple
Ok, that did it. It detects motion before the camera slews... Thx!

What does the high definition setting do?

I am starting to get things dialed in. More times with the kids running up and down the street this week. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to help!

It is another algorithm used to try to minimize false triggers, but as you saw, if it doesn't work in your situation, don't use.

Simple works in most situations, but the edge vector, high definition, object detection, etc. are additional algorithms for that pesky location that is going crazy with false triggers. But you were the opposite - you enabled every trick in the book and then missed triggers LOL.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another question. I have 3 cameras that triigger PTZ motion to presets. The PTZ looks down the street, and can sometimes track on a vehicle going under the camera to the other side. When the vehicle reaches the other side, it usually will generate an alert on 2 other cameras. So if the PTZ loses track, the other cameras alert will flip the PTZ to a preset that looks at the area on the other side of the street. This works pretty well.

Now, since that other side is a dead end, cars will have to turn around and then go back under the camera and exit. There is a 3rd fixed camera that usually can see a car that is heading in that direction and trigger the PTZ to go back to the home preset. This doesn't seem to work. Note this alrt might come in a second or so after the car retriggers one of the other 2 cameras, so the PTZ gets hit with Preset commands pretty quickly after each other. Is there some delay after doing a preset that causes the camera to ignore the 2nd Preset request?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect that is probably some inherent (intentional or not either in BI or the PTZ) that is there to prevent it from getting overloaded.

What you can do to get around that is create a clone camera in BI (copy one of the cameras and make it clone so that it doesn't use up more resources in BI) and then create the motion on it to just go one way and triggers the PTZ.

So lets say this is your setup

CAM 1 ....PTZ....CAM2......CAM3....cul-de-sac

CAM 2 is the camera that triggers the PTZ to look that way once a vehicle goes under the PTZ and then CAM 3 also sends a trigger and they are back-to-back.

With the clone of CAM3 - set up the motion trigger for it to only send a preset for motion going from cul-de-sac to CAM3, so in that case CAM2 will track the car going past CAM3 and into the cul-de-sac. And then if the car stops and the PTZ resets, CAM3 then swings it back once the car goes pack into CAM 3 range.

Clear as mud LOL?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ask away...using fixed cams to trigger a PTZ extends the the capabilities of the PTZ to a whole new level!

And here is a thread from today that explains it very well.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 5442 on the other side of the garage, and I would like to trigger this ptz with it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simple to do! Follow that other thread as I couldn't explain it better myself. I have multiple cameras set up to point the PTZ in the right location.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes!

Copied out of that post from @Mike A. :

Yes. Just set up the triggers to trigger the other cam. Not hard to do in BI.

On the primary cam (i.e., your fixed cam), set up a group containing the cam(s) to move when that cam triggers.

Under the other cam(s) (your PTZ) make a preset for it to move to when triggered which gives the view you want.

On the Trigger tab for the other cam, under "When triggered" select "Move to preset" and select the preset you created.

Should move to the assigned preset when you execute the trigger for the primary cam. You can use the "Trigger Now" to test.

The "Break time" on the trigger tab controls how long the moved cams stay on the preset before moving back to where they were. To get the cams back you could use that based on some time. I think a setting of 0 turns that off. If you want to control the return on demand, then might be able to make some other cam the primary and do something similar with another manual trigger as above.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I suspect that is probably some inherent (intentional or not either in BI or the PTZ) that is there to prevent it from getting overloaded.

What you can do to get around that is create a clone camera in BI (copy one of the cameras and make it clone so that it doesn't use up more resources in BI) and then create the motion on it to just go one way and triggers the PTZ.

So lets say this is your setup

CAM 1 ....PTZ....CAM2......CAM3....cul-de-sac

CAM 2 is the camera that triggers the PTZ to look that way once a vehicle goes under the PTZ and then CAM 3 also sends a trigger and they are back-to-back.

With the clone of CAM3 - set up the motion trigger for it to only send a preset for motion going from cul-de-sac to CAM3, so in that case CAM2 will track the car going past CAM3 and into the cul-de-sac. And then if the car stops and the PTZ resets, CAM3 then swings it back once the car goes pack into CAM 3 range.

Clear as mud LOL?

Ok. You have the diagram right, but my problem is with a car going from the cul-de-sac back out towards CAM1. CAM2 triggers, and sets a PRESET2 to the PTZ, and then a slight amount of time later, CAM1 alerts and sends PRESET1 to the PTZ. It's this command that is not getting processed. I'm not sure I understand how the clone of a camera helps here... BTW, CAM2 and CAM3 overlap a bit, so a car on the cul de sac side may generate multiple PRESET2 calls from those cameras. But CAM1 never overlaps with CAM2 or CAM3. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK so instead have CAM1 be the clone where it only sends a preset to the PTZ for cars coming towards the PTZ and not away from the PTZ as CAM2 or CAM3 will have already picked up the object by that time and the PTZ is tracking it already.

You don't have to use a clone, but many of us find that easier to have the PTZ do what we want. So if this were mine, I would have CAM1 detecting motion in either direction so that I get a trigger and a recording for any objects going any direction. I would then set up a clone that says to only trigger than PTZ for an object coming towards the PTZ, so in motion settings you would setup Zone A as the left side of the image and Zone B as the right side of the image and then object detection have it be A>B so that only motions going from Zone A to Zone B will call a preset and motion from Zone B to Zone A will not as the PTZ will already be tracking at that point based on CAM 2.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, CAM1's lens will not pick up a car heading towards the PTZ before the PTZ does. So in practice, the only time CAM1 plays a role in sending a preset to the PTZ when a car is moving away from the PTZ. That's very useful because after alerts from CAM2 and CAM3, the PTZ will almost certainly pointed towards the cul-de-sac. The PTZ may track on the car as it goes under the PTZ, but if it breaks track, my goal would be for CAM1 to trigger the PTZ to flip back and track the vehicle as it leaves the area.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So then you need to decide which compromise can you live with and try to mitigate it for the majority of the instances.

If the PTZ loses tracking under it the majority of the time, another way to get around it is to average the amount of time it takes from cul-de-sac to under PTZ and losing track. Say that is 8 seconds. Then instead of doing the triggering under the motion settings, do it under the alert tab, so Cam 3 alert calls up preset X, then put in a time delay of 8 seconds and then call up preset Y. And have preset Y on a zoom of 1 so that it is as wide as it can be to pick it up if it is faster or slower than 8 seconds. And then CAM1 is there waiting to kick it back that way in the event an object doesn't meet the parameters under the alert.

One of the things many preach on here is to not get PTZs as they are always pointing the wrong way at the wrong times - and as a single camera that is sound advice. Now with multiple cameras, spotter cams can help mitigate that tremendously, but there can always be a scenario that it doesn't work in as well. Depends on all the locations of the cameras and their field of view.

An aerial map with cones of the cameras field of views showing (can get from IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and put in your actual cameras so the cones of field of view is somewhat accurate) would help to figure out how to mitigate this further to try to capture as many events as possible.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It is simple for you, but I have no idea what are you talking about. ;)
I would need a step by step description, on what to do.
When it asks me to Select camera group, New group, I have no idea what to type in there. if I type PTZ, it won't accept it.
I have typed Cam6_PTZ, and that is most likely wrong. I can't delete it.
There is no video, or a step by step description somewhere?
Sorry about this, but I'm a complete novice about this.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
The new Preset, should have it's own rule (should I setup an IVS rule), or I just have to have a preset viewing that area?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So go into the camera settings in BI for the PTZ and in Groups create a group for the PTZ - looks like maybe you created Cam6_PTZ.

The preset it based on what is in the PTZ, so if there is a preset you want to fixed cam to go to and you don't have the PTZ preset for that, then yes create a new Preset for the area you want and then a IVS rule for it. Remember the number of that new preset.

Then go to the fixed camera and on the motion settings page, under When Triggered, check the trigger camera groups and then select the group name for the PTZ, then go down and check the Move to preset number you just created in the PTZ and then check Move camera groups and select the group and then you have a spotter cam!

1612839524569.png

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
All these in BI, right? Motion is the Alert tab?
Sorry, but I must be an idiot, because I still did not get any further.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, all of these are in BI, you only need to do it in the alerts tab if the above screen doesn't work for your situation.