Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are correct that I was aiming for a brighter image thinking it would produce better results. Made the contrast and brightness adjustments and it darkened the image up a fair bit but as you mention it still picks up movement very well. Backlight is off and white balance is on auto. Will slowly make other adjustments and work on the adjustments slowly. No snow is forecast for a few days so would like to wait for that to try and get to many changes going. I had tried to follow some of your setting recommendations from other posts but appears I was aiming to much for a brighter image as you mention. Appreciate the detailed post with more elaboration on points, will be very helpful. Will update with results along the way. Thank you again wittaj you are always very helpful.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You are correct that I was aiming for a brighter image thinking it would produce better results. Made the contrast and brightness adjustments and it darkened the image up a fair bit but as you mention it still picks up movement very well. Backlight is off and white balance is on auto. Will slowly make other adjustments and work on the adjustments slowly. No snow is forecast for a few days so would like to wait for that to try and get to many changes going. I had tried to follow some of your setting recommendations from other posts but appears I was aiming to much for a brighter image as you mention. Appreciate the detailed post with more elaboration on points, will be very helpful. Will update with results along the way. Thank you again wittaj you are always very helpful.
It's not that a darker image works better, it's that the low gain and fast shutter speed that work well will generally result in a darker image. In order to get a "bright" low light image, the camera is likely cranking the gain up really high and using a very slow shutter speed. It's these things that will trick the AI into thinking snow is not snow.

I would recommend that you reset the exposure settings. Then go into the settings and choose manual for the exposure settings. Then set the gain to something like 0-50 to start, and the shutter speed something like 0-10ms to start. If the image is really too dark, then increase these settings in small increments until you can live with the image. Increasing brightness can help some too, but do everything in moderation.

Last edited:

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Was travelling a bit over the holidays last week and wasn't able to make any changes for a few days. Will be working on it in the next few days and will update. Appreciate the suggestions and advice.

mika4real

n3wb
Reaction score
happy new year,

always wondered of my ptzs longevity doing it’s 3 stop tour 24/7. Glad I came across this thread, going to turn the touring off immediately. A bit of a bummer this artificial limitation for a ptz.

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been in communication with Andy and I've been quoted a $100-$150 USD to have Dahuah patch the firmware to remove the artificial movement limitation. Right now due to C19 in China, things are a bit delayed. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we can get this addressed.

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been in communication with Andy and I've been quoted a $100-$150 USD to have Dahuah patch the firmware to remove the artificial movement limitation. Right now due to C19 in China, things are a bit delayed. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we can get this addressed.
Hmm, good to know that is an option, possible for all their PTZs

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the update delay, had some holiday visitors and had been busy. Didn't get any snow until today. Had made some adjustments but still getting snow tracking, not sure if some of my settings are still off. Also lowered the tracking size to what
looney2ns
suggested.
View attachment ptz_sample.mp4
conditions_exposure.JPGconditions_picture.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trying dropping gamma and make contrast 8 higher than brightness

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah if you are using BI, it turns on motion detection in the camera. You need to turn the sensitivity to the least sensitive and make the zone one block in corner and set the schedule to a very short period.

If you are not using BI make sure that MD and SMD is turned off in camera.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will make the gamma and contrast adjustments when it is dark so I can view the differences. I think the settings under MD and SMD are ok. I am using BI and made the adjustments but just to confirm you are referring to the settings on the TRIGGER tab under the CONFIGURE button.motion_settings_BI.PNGMD.JPGSMD.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I meant in the camera GUI to make the sensitivity the least sensitive.

Do you want BI motion and ONVIF to be able to trigger?

BI will usually turn MD and SMD on in the camera after a reboot of BI or the camera, so I would go ahead and make those changes in the camera.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, adjusted the settings in the camera GUI also and cleared the screen and lowered the sensitivity as low as it will go. I only want the ONVIF to trigger not BI motion. I think I have the settings for that correct, you helped me set up a color 4k camera with the ONVIF. I was having trouble with the triggering and it turned out to be the ONVIF username that you figured out. Will drop the gamma and adjust the contrast and brightness. It is starting to snow so I will update later this evening or tomorrow. Thank you again for all your help and super speedy replies wittaj and all the other helpful responses.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Adjusted the contrast and gamma but is still tracking the snow. Was playing with a couple settings and noticed a huge difference under Day & Night when I changed Type to Electrical instead of ICR it didn't even see the snowflakes so of course didn't track. The picture was able to see in areas where it was dark on ICR. Is that a good option? What are the differences between the two?
conditions_picture_10.JPG

day_night_10.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Electrical simulates no infrared cut filter so it is an electronic correction.

ICR physically removes the filter.

Do you have an SD card in the camera? I would love to see the video (other than the one you posted above) with the tracking on to see what it is tracking the snow as it may help me figure out what is going on.

Looking at that video, I am guessing that as the snow passes those two items in the center that it is thinking it is a person and a simple adjustment to the field of view like zooming in a bit and/or turning the camera a little could eliminate it.

1673394426626.png

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So probably best to have it set on ICR and not on Electronic. I do have an SD card in the camera and can get a video from there for you. I have only downloaded video from there a couple times but I think it is in a Dahua format, will it be viewable on the forum or can I DM it to you somehow?

That was my thoughts also and silly me should have tried it a while ago. The camera is zoomed slightly I will try and zoom out most of or all the way the next time it snows and see if that helps. I had thought maybe since it is zoomed a bit it is causing the snowflakes to be larger than they should be.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So probably best to have it set on ICR and not on Electronic. I do have an SD card in the camera and can get a video from there for you. I have only downloaded video from there a couple times but I think it is in a Dahua format, will it be viewable on the forum or can I DM it to you somehow?

That was my thoughts also and silly me should have tried it a while ago. The camera is zoomed slightly I will try and zoom out most of or all the way the next time it snows and see if that helps. I had thought maybe since it is zoomed a bit it is causing the snowflakes to be larger than they should be.
You should have the option to choose .mp4 format to download .Then upload to YouTube and share the link here.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, great. Didn't realize that. Will find one and upload .mp4 format.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you turn on the IVS rules so we can see the rectangle form to know what it has thought is a human? That is key to figuring out what is going on and to correct it.