Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have cameras on the east and west side of the house and yard. The east side ones get killed every morning and the one in the lower yard gets killed every evening during the summer. The ones in front, and on the west side, also get killed by headlight reflections at night even though the house is about 150' back from the street. Lens glare/flare is just a fact of video surveillance life.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I should be ok as my camera will be North facing on my front my back yard is South facing so always gets the sun.

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, could I confirm that this is the latest firmware for this cam. (attached)
Trying to confirm that this is the firmware with the Global / Tour plan capability.
Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
My camera is pointing due West. I had the same camera lens refraction last evening. I first thought, oh crap same problems as the other guy. I went outside and the Sun was shining directly into the camera lens. Then I remember that when this happened to my Dahua 2 MP 59232 25X PTZ camera, there was almost complete washout of the image. So in retrospect, this camera performed better than the 59232, where it may have the ring refraction, I can still see what is happening. May have to wait til next Summer to verify this because the Sun is setting further South. Overall I am very impressed with the resolution of this camera during the day and at night with IR. It is like seeing with a new pair of glasses, compared to the 4 year old 2MP 59232. Glad I got it! Thanks for your review @Wildcat_1.

View attachment 71200

Absolutely loving the palm island in your driveway. I'm a palm tree adict although options are limited where I live.

On a CCTV related note, if the picture gets so bad as to make identification diffcult, surely the answer here would be an additional camera in a shaded location eg in your case maybe behind the 2nd palm tree to the right of the christmas island head looking across and out and one on the back of the v shaped palm looking out at the other side? For others without palm islands maybe a camera either looking across or mounted at the bottom of a drive looking back towards the house so you capture the face image on the way out or if the perp glances backwards on the way in?

Another solution if using a turret might be some kind of sun shield as turrets have totally exposed lenses. Interestingly as an aside, for anyone needing to manufacture one, I came across this video on Youtube yesterday about some aluminium brazing rods that can be found on Amazon that seem to do a very good job of "welding" aluminium sheet, thus making home fabrication of housings, sun shields etc much more possible. They don't give full weld strength as expected given it's brazing. However, the force required to break the weld demonstrated at the end was quite impressive espeically as it was one side only. I can see these being useful for those needing to fabricate their own custom housings, shields, rot proof bird boxes etc.

I'm linking the rods here as they require navigation through a few menus on his affiliate links to find. They're $17 so quite a cheap process if you already have a decent plumbing torch.

I should say as wellon UK amazon, there are many different brands and many a lot cheaper than these, so whether these are particularly good comparedto others, I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On a CCTV related note, if the picture gets so bad as to make identification diffcult, surely the answer here would be an additional camera in a shaded location
Not to worry, I have 3 different Dahua starlight cams covering this area at different angles. I use the 25X PTZ as an overview cam.

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
Another Update, This Time Regarding New Firmware. Will Cross Post In 49225 Thread As It Applies There Too

Well, this is interesting ! I’ve been testing the latest Prometheus FW for 49225 & 5A425 and on the standard stuff (bitrate etc) all remains the same….GOOD ! Also AI Live is working a lot better now.

However, there are 2 new features added in menu that I hadn't noticed and are super cool so wanted to share them with you all as soon as I discovered them.
Specifically these are 2 additions to the Event, Smart Plan menu…Global & Tour Plan. Lets jump into those:

Global
This is now at the top of the Smart Plan menu and as its name suggests allows you to choose an IVS rule that is enabled globally (not to be confused with previous Global calibration menu) regardless of other rule type you choose for a preset. This is a fantastic addition as it means you can now have Face Detection or Video Metadata rules applied at the Global level while lets say in Preset 1 you are running Deep IVS. I’ve tested this out and it works as designed so regardless of each of your presets being set for different rules, you can now have an overarching Face Detection or Video Metadata applied. You no longer have to disable Deep IVS to use Video Metadata they can co-exist. This up's the value of IVS rules to a new level IMO as now there isn’t a trade off that has to be made for some installs / projects etc.​

Tour Plan

This introduces a new way to setup PTZ tours and their schedules. Works well and I like the new UI element for this where you can clearly see your preset names (an issue before) adjust the schedule and then very simply (with 1 click) adjust the priority order of presets in the tour. You are also able to set time in which the tour will sit at a preset and idle time for the tour too. Now with that said, an IMPORTANT NOTE: the old Tour menu (Under PTZ, Function, Tour) still exists and that does not see the new Tour Plan in other words it is possible to setup in 2 places (but I strongly advise against that). Similarly Idle Time & Time Task options do NOT see the new Tour Plan. Therefore you are either all in with the new Tour Plan or use existing, personally I like the new Tour Plan​

HTH
Hi Wildcat_1, could you confirm the firmware version with these features in it.
My current firmware specs are attached. Thanks.

Attachments

wombsganz

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you get any complaints from people about running this PTZ on a residential property? I am considering one to supplement my very subtle 5442 turrets but I feel the size and overtness makes the PTZ almost a political statement.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
This started in 5/19 FW so was first featured there. Next was included in 6/08. Great feature, really hope we see this rolled out across other units in the future

Hi Wildcat_1, could you confirm the firmware version with these features in it.
My current firmware specs are attached. Thanks.

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
This started in 5/19 FW so was first featured there. Next was included in 6/08. Great feature, really hope we see this rolled out across other units in the future
So where would I find the 6/08 firmware? I don’t see those tabs on my current firmware. I’ve been thrown in to looking after the cameras at my work. We have 2 of these and getting another 8, so the global feature would seem to make programming a bit easier to manage. Thanks.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 , Have your recommendations changed as far as a PTZ (5A425), or around the 5442? I am trying to get caught up on issues and new cams etc to determine my next purchase and wanted to get your thoughts based on your post above. Thanks!

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@nhs128

Sorry for the delay in response. No change as this really is an awesome camera especially when you combine it with some of the extra things it can do under the covers (below). The only 2 issues (concerns) I raised remain which are
  1. The plastic around the lens feels cheap and is incredibly glossy, matte black (like on 49225 and turret lens housings) would be better
  2. Remember this is still a dome so in a changing light FOV you may get some glare or reflection is pointing at the sun etc but plan your install or mitigate appropriately and you'll be fine

All

Now, onto those extra duties I mentioned the 5A425 can perform that some may not be aware of. Many may not realize that this camera is recognized as ANPR capable as well. Therefore utilizing Video Metadata and AI Live along with an NVR allows you to perform Plate Recognition.
Take a look at the AI Live caps I included below and also the Plate Recognition caps from the 5216. Now let me point out that the 5216 has a recognition bug right now in code (currently wipes metadata from some cams ) which I've raised with Dahua & Andy too and I believe is being worked now.

Anyway, enjoy and as always any questions just let me know

AI Live Cap of License Plate From SD5A425.jpg Plate Recognition on 5216 #1.jpg Plate Recognition on 5216 #2.jpg

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are you recommended settings Wildcat_1? I got a replacement camera and it's functioning normally now so I lost any settings changes you made.

It does do better in low light, but I'm not sure that it's worth it over the 49225 which can be had for less and it's smaller and better looking.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi @Wildcat_1

How do you get the plate recognition working? Would you mind sharing the key steps?
I have been playing with it myself but can only get the camera to isolate the plate in the snapshot. I can't get the AI live to run either, i feel like a part of my problem is here.

I'm running the SD5432XA-HNR and a 4216-I NVR, the NVR has ANPR functionality.
The software is up to date (i think :D )

NVR
System Version:
Build Date:
2020-10-22

Camera:
System VersionV2.810.0000001.3.R.P9.3216.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-06-08

Attachments

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Wildcat_1

How do you get the plate recognition working? Would you mind sharing the key steps?
I have been playing with it myself but can only get the camera to isolate the plate in the snapshot. I can't get the AI live to run either, i feel like a part of my problem is here.

I'm running the SD5432XA-HNR and a 4216-I NVR, the NVR has ANPR functionality.
The software is up to date (i think :D )

NVR
System Version:
Build Date:
2020-10-22

Camera:
System VersionV2.810.0000001.3.R.P9.3216.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-06-08

Does that camera support ANPR I don't think so , and this is the Dahua SD4425XA-HNR thread , maybe you should make your own thread or post in the SD5432XA-HNR thread.

br1dge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a version of this camera or an accessory for it that allows it to be mounted to a soffit? I am looking for a PTZ dome camera and it seems like very few are made to be mounted to a soffit.
Did you ever mount to a soffit? I am facing the same question..

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.