Review- EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 4mp Varifocal Turret

rdxny

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see the same "Breathing", or "Pulsing", on some of my 5442 (s3) cams. Never at night, and it seems to be worse on scenes that have large flat areas like the driveway surface, or lawn. So like water, lots of tiny changes of a relatively large, flat area. And changing bit rate definitely affects the rate of pulsing. I tried "AI Coding" and the default settings for that (ABR) and "2 sec" for "I frame interval", and the pulsing went away for the worst cam, but gave me a .50 instead of the generally recommended 1.0 key frame ratio. If I changed that to "1 sec", it gave me the 1.0 key frame ratio but pulsing returned (not as bad, but still there. So it seems like for scenes like that, a careful balance of bit rate and fps are needed to lessen or eliminate that pulsing. I've seen this with the older firmware, and the newest "animal" version of the 5442 s3 firmware. It's interesting that using AI coding and ABR (which floats the bit rate and for that cam averages only 3894) gave me the best result. EDIT: I raised the "Average bit rate" to 10240, which I didn't know you could, and it still looks good.

Last edited: