Review: EmpireTech IPC-T58IR-ZE-S3 / Dahua 5842T-ZE-S3 - 8MP / 4K Turret Camera

I meant to say, for completeness there is only 1 time I EVER use Motion Detection and that is on LPR cams in dark areas when I have multiple cams covering that area. I always recommend 2 cams covering and ideally depending on use, location, target etc one of those (or an addition to the 2) is a PTZ. That way you cover your overview for things like human info, vehicle type, color etc with the other cams and by using Motion Detection ensure you get tagged video even in completely dark areas where all your seeing is license plates. Is this needed, not necessarily as you can always (assuming you are recording 24x7 and you should be) sync your overview cam playback across cams therefore as target is seen on Cam 1, Cam 2 (LPR in this example) is synced and shows the vehicle that way BUT it is nice to have a detection tag in a number of cases, hence MD is one way of doing that in these situations. HTH

Also while we're discussing the S3 cams and capabilities, there is ANOTHER benefit of IVS (standalone or in AcuPick mode) and that is the Experience Database that I mentioned, which DOES allow you to teach the camera targets that are undesired. I've been using that a lot in testing and it really does work. I'll do a video on this too

Also while we're discussing the S3 cams and capabilities, there is ANOTHER benefit of IVS (standalone or in AcuPick mode) and that is the Experience Database that I mentioned, which DOES allow you to teach the camera targets that are undesired. I've been using that a lot in testing and it really does work. I'll do a video on this too
Where do you upload the videos?

What is a shame is that the EI can certainly knows that plates are being captured when S3's are in VMD mode as it displays them under the image (as expected) BUT critically it will show Plate Unknown even though this data exists on the capture. Similarly as I mentioned in earlier posts, the S3 cams in VMD mode capture plates as you can do a search for ANPR (on camera) and see the plate pic BUT it doesn't tag these on the Record (video) cap which is a bug I raised as mentioned

To show everyone, about what we have discussion here....
this is 5442-z4 which I installed on a new site a few days ago..
it's not even fine tuned for a night image (I didn't have time for that)..

Configured to FULL Video MetaData, no AcuPick, no IVS, no SMD...
Data received by 5232-EI, but any 5xxx-4KS2 here will work the same...
Some parts of faces and plate numbers are cut/blurred by me (this is EU - we have strong privacy law here)..

Vehicles at day & night:

VMD vehicled day.png

VMD vehicles night.png

non motor vehicles:
VMD non motor.png

humans (some with faces if they were front to camera):
VMD humans.png

Faces alone:
VMD faces.png

Yep and as mentioned, shame the Plate No. while clearly captured (in stream on cam as I showed before) as a plate is not processed on the NVR, instead showing Plate Unknown. Therefore you end up with LPR/NPR, not ALPR/ANPR. With that said you CAN do that with AI By Recorder on XI's etc which makes up for some of it BUT that is why I have the bug filed both on cam and NVR as I mentioned.

One other thing I would like to see done (this is a very little thing but would be nice) is that when cam's are placed into B&W mode, all bets are off for 'real' color. Therefore have it show Unknown (B&W mode used) or something like that rather than the Gray, Black, White etc that you see regardless. Again just a small thing but I notice and track these things :)

To show everyone, about what we have discussion here....
this is 5442-z4 which I installed on a new site a few days ago..
it's not even fine tuned for a night image (I didn't have time for that)..

Configured to FULL Video MetaData, no AcuPick, no IVS, no SMD...
Data received by 5232-EI, but any 5xxx-4KS2 here will work the same...
Some parts of faces and plate numbers are cut/blurred by me (this is EU - we have strong privacy law here)..

Vehicles at day & night:

View attachment 204223

View attachment 204224

non motor vehicles:
View attachment 204225

humans (some with faces if they were front to camera):
View attachment 204226

Faces alone:
View attachment 204227

I could never get my neighbors to do this. I guess I need to try again LOL.

Yep and as mentioned, shame the Plate No. while clearly captured (in stream on cam as I showed before) as a plate is not processed on the NVR, instead showing Plate Unknown. Therefore you end up with LPR/NPR, not ALPR/ANPR. With that said you CAN do that with AI By Recorder on XI's etc which makes up for some of it BUT that is why I have the bug filed both on cam and NVR as I mentioned.

You can use 608-XI.. Or simply buy one 7442-Z4..
Which I have on a few other sites...

7442-Z4 have one more interesting feature comparing to 5442 - it have much better algorithm to brighten up night image in SSA / WDR mode...
So You can use very low gain on sensor (30 - 40) plus shorter shutter time and brighten up image using SSA / WDR without sensor noise...

@wittaj just have a 'Smile for the Camera' sign up ;) Seriously though, this is what's great about using these cams in deployments (residential, commercial, industrial) is that they do give you a ton of evidential information

You can use 608-XI.. Or simply buy one 7442-Z4..
Which I have on a few other sites...

7442-Z4 have one more interesting feature comparing to 5442 - it have much better algorithm to brighten up night image in SSA / WDR mode...
So You can use very low gain on sensor (30 - 40) plus shorter shutter time and brighten up image using SSA / WDR without sensor noise...
You can BUT this is doable on these cams and the 5x-XI NVR's it's just not implemented properly yet.
The 7xxx have always been phenomenal for VMD + their optics are higher quality (depending on build series etc)
As I mentioned, ANPR is supported by the cams, just not fully baked, yet.

Last edited:
I could never get my neighbors to do this. I guess I need to try again LOL.

I always tell investors that if someone (some neighbors) will ask why some (usually one big bullet - due z4 optics) cameras are strongly directed at public street direction and record them, I give them answer to repeat:

Dear neighbor, camera is directed at public street not specific houses..
If someone will break-in to your house/car or steal something from You, You will be first which will ask for video footage from this camera..

ps. I never hear that someone had bigger problems with those street cams and neighbors.

Last edited:
The camera will replace an IPC-HDBW3849R1-ZAS-PV-S5. I can't make any good settings at night at the moment. I have also ordered the IPC-HDBW5442H-ZHE. How are the night shots with the camera?
Very good. Just make sure you dial in. The 4K versions are very good too and very flexible to location and target use. The 4Ks are very good too as I showed in this review thread.

Very good. Just make sure you dial in. The 4K versions are very good too and very flexible to location and target use. The 4Ks are very good too
I opted for the 4mp/2688×1520 version due to my lighting conditions. However, the two cameras will probably not arrive until November.