Review: EZVIZ DB1C

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK it looks like a bug - I've just reset the doorbell, but this time have not reset the encryption password. I can now get an RTSP using the original Verification Key, which is 6 alpha characters.

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want to throw a few cents into the discussion on this DB1C, based on my readings and new experience.

At first, I was getting slow connection, choppy playback through live view and recordings through BI (and even in the ezviz app), but VLC seemed pretty stable. Other weird issues with frame rate and iframes, and errors in the log, and deepstack was detecting me holding a baseball glove for some reason lol! So I thought it was the system I installed it on, so I did a complete reinstall of Windows 10, and uninstalled all useless programs (ie. onedrive, etc), to then set up BI from scratch on a clean system.

In the mean time, as I was cleaning up that system, I was exploring my wifi coverage after reading that people were having a lot of network issues with doorbell cams. Yes, my DB1C was getting very low signal from the start (that little wifi logo only had 1 small bar). Using a signal scanner app on my iphone, I could see that just outside the front door my signal was averaging -75dbm; and I thought this might be my real problem.

And it was. My wifi router is located at the other end of my house opposite the doorbell cam. A wifi extender solved the issue. They're only about $40, you don't need a fancy one, or do what I did and repurpose an old router with dd-wrt firmware and set that up as a wireless repeater. I placed it just inside the front door hidden under some stairs, and now I have on average -30dbm with full signal bars. The performance is +500%. When I load up live view, it goes from 0% to live almost instantly and no choppiness at all. This was in the ezviz app, btw, I hadn't yet fired up the BI system, but I will be tonight.

One more thing I recommend to anyone just starting out with BI is to read the * manual. I know it's over 200 pages, but a lot can be skipped. There is so much good info in that document; most questions I see asked on forums are answered in there already. I've decided to read the whole thing (I'm already over 1/2 way through and will finish tonight) before adding my cameras to BI. I've already learned a few tricks not seen on those quick and dirty youtube tutorials, and already have a better understanding on how the software package operates as a whole.

tl;dr:
DB1C is a great doorbell cam, just make sure to give it good signal, either move your router closer or use a wifi extender. Apple airport app using wifi scan mode is actually quite useful for testing signal. And as always, rtfm.

Cheers all!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This doorbell cam is $50 at B&H until June 30 at 11:59 PM EDT. "limited supply at this price" they say.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What is this about custom firmware?

I don't know of any PoE doorbells for the simple reason that nobody can rely on a doorbell being wired with network cable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Heck, I don't even have a regular wired door bell. The Dahua VTO series was going to be my real choice, but you already pushed me over the edge :rofl:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Very tempting. It's ashamed it isn't really ready for prime time though. Jumping through hoops with custom firmware isn't my idea of fun plus it isn't PoE.
Perhaps you are referring to the older DB1 doorbell unit that is sold by several distributors and therefore there are several firmware versions available to use. However both the older model and this DB1C model work just fine out of the box. I have never heard of a person installing a custom firmware on these units.

The DB1C is a much better camera than the older DB1 - I own both models. At $50, I would highly recommend this unit to anyone - whether they are looking to upgrade an older unit, or looking for their first model.

There are few (if any) residential POE doorbell cameras sold in the US. This is because these are designed to be "drop in" replacements for a regular doorbell. Residential doorbells are historically wired to a low voltage transformer and a chime. They are not POE.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand about doorbells, been in the electrical end of things for long time. PoE is just far more reliable than WiFi for surveillance. In my case I'll be running 18/2 just to get power to the DB1 and I'd rather run a CAT6, which I'll run anyway in the hope that a PoE doorbell will come along someday while I'm still here to install it.

I may try it on a gate post that about 20 feet from the house but I'm not sure that WiFi will get there and I don't want to fool with APs.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This doorbell cam is $50 at B&H until June 30 at 11:59 PM EDT. "limited supply at this price" they say.

For that price I think I am going to order one. I have had the previous version for 2 years now, it has served us well, when it dies I have a replacement.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand about doorbells, been in the electrical end of things for long time. PoE is just far more reliable than WiFi for surveillance. In my case I'll be running 18/2 just to get power to the DB1 and I'd rather run a CAT6, which I'll run anyway in the hope that a PoE doorbell will come along someday while I'm still here to install it.

I may try it on a gate post that about 20 feet from the house but I'm not sure that WiFi will get there and I don't want to fool with APs.
Here you go: :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Did find this, though I know nothing about it.

Here is another one, may want to check now, it's been awhile since I checked out for POE Doorbells, most where in Doorbell Stations.

I am with you, I would rather have POE over WiFi

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked at the Axis, Ubiquity and a few others I forget the names of at the moment. They're all pricey and get sort of mixed reviews. The Dahua Villa setup seems to be about the best I've seen without costing an arm, a leg and your first born.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked at the Axis, Ubiquity and a few others I forget the names of at the moment. They're all pricey and get sort of mixed reviews. The Dahua Villa setup seems to be about the best I've seen without costing an arm, a leg and your first born.
yea, i would get that if they had a better flush mount for old construction.

why that mount doesnt have wing mounting tabs is CRAZY

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
So, after a quick scan of this thread, am I correct that the only way to initialize the DB1C is through the app, or did I miss something? Or can it just be powered up and go in through the web GUI to configure things like "normal" cameras?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So, after a quick scan of this thread, am I correct that the only way to initialize the DB1C is through the app, or did I miss something? Or can it just be powered up and go in through the web GUI to configure things like "normal" cameras?
Either the phone app or the Hik configuration tool. I don’t recall the camera having a web GUI.