Review: EZVIZ DB1C

pwchang

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been lurking for a while and I recently got one of these from a recent sale. Has anyone have experience with using it with a microSD card? I've tried several SD cards that were wiped and using FAT32 and none were detected by the doorbell.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been lurking for a while and I recently got one of these from a recent sale. Has anyone have experience with using it with a microSD card? I've tried several SD cards that were wiped and using FAT32 and none were detected by the doorbell.
some brands work better than others, but make sure you have the doorbell reformat it again when you insert it.

pwchang

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick.

The issue is that none of the SD cards I inserted were detected by the camera. The app just says "No memory card" and there is no option for initializing / formatting. I've tried SanDisk, Kingston, and Delkin cards. All passed basic file copy tests before formatting and inserting into the camera.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick.

The issue is that none of the SD cards I inserted were detected by the camera. The app just says "No memory card" and there is no option for initializing / formatting. I've tried SanDisk, Kingston, and Delkin cards. All passed basic file copy tests before formatting and inserting into the camera.
are you sure you are putting the card in the correct way? (not upside down)

also try the other apps and see if they will give you other options.

RCA

LaView,

Guardian Vision.

Densor

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using an SanDisk "Extreme" SD card and it is working fine. The first time I tried to push it in I had the doorbell attached to the wall and access was tight. It didn't feel right as I pushed it in and it lacked the push and eject feel to it. I had to remove the doorbell and use a pair of tweezers to remove the card. It had actually gone in back of the correct frame. Luckily it came out and went back in correctly and all is working. You can only see a bit of the chrome frame and it isn't actually clear what side the card should go. The app prompted to format the card as soon as i powered the doorbell back up.

The copper pads should be facing the front of the doorbell.

pwchang

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I'm certain that I'm inserting the SD cards in the correct orientation. The pins are facing out to the front of the doorbell. I also saw that the card cage was a tad visible. Although I had a tight fit in some of cards I tried but I got that click-in sound when the card is seated and they could eject with a click-out.

I wasn't aware that other apps may work. I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Thanks flynreelow and Densor.

Densor

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what format brand new SD cards were actually formatted to. Google tells me that Fat32 is probably a good starting point. My card is 64GB so the bigger ones are normally more problematic than smaller ones.

I assume you went into Storage Status and selected card storage . ( I can't actually be sure what the original option was and if I had to it). Once I put the card in the right slot and powered it up the Ezviz App actually prompted me to format it before first use. Hopefully you can work it out. My DB1C is working fantastic. I'm really impressed with only being notified of "Humans", but fox, possum and cat events still being stored on the SD card for later review.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had the DB1C running for a few days now and see a number of drops happening, as in 15-20 per day. I checked the signal level and it's in the -45 to -50dbm range. Is that normal behavior with that signal level? I hate to have to put in an AP just for the doorbell, but at the same time I want solid connectivity. I hate WiFi for surveillance systems. It sucks.

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
I hate to have to put in an AP just for the doorbell, but at the same time I want solid connectivity.
Sometimes we just have to do what we hate! lol ;)

Same here, I was getting about the same signal as you, or worse. I added an extender and it made a world of difference! Much quicker loading and... now that I think about it, zero drops (or I hadn't noticed any). I really don't like too many gadgets plugged in everywhere, and wasn't keen on the idea, but no regrets now, I highly suggest it. - To anyone having connectivity/lag/slow/poor signal issues.

you can buy a basic extender for about $40, or, if you're tech savvy enough, repurpose an old router and use dd-wrt configured as a wireless repeater bridge.

pwchang

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what format brand new SD cards were actually formatted to. Google tells me that Fat32 is probably a good starting point. My card is 64GB so the bigger ones are normally more problematic than smaller ones.

I assume you went into Storage Status and selected card storage . ( I can't actually be sure what the original option was and if I had to it). Once I put the card in the right slot and powered it up the Ezviz App actually prompted me to format it before first use. Hopefully you can work it out. My DB1C is working fantastic. I'm really impressed with only being notified of "Humans", but fox, possum and cat events still being stored on the SD card for later review.
The app update must be extremely slow. I waited and refreshed for ~5 mins each time prior and gave up. After a power cycle on the porch circuit this morning due to something else, suddenly it started showing my SD card. I can format it and it works. I think the SD card I left was the one I tried to delete all partitions with. For reference, this is a Delkin Utility 16GBn

Sadly, some of the SD cards that worked prior to this camera are now dead. At least my computer can't pick them up anymore, not even the Disk Management utility in Windows.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had the DB1C running for a few days now and see a number of drops happening, as in 15-20 per day. I checked the signal level and it's in the -45 to -50dbm range. Is that normal behavior with that signal level? I hate to have to put in an AP just for the doorbell, but at the same time I want solid connectivity. I hate WiFi for surveillance systems. It sucks.
do you have cat 5/6 POE running to the doorbell.

if so, mayye check out the yosee doorbell in this forum. with the new firmware it seems pretty solid for the price.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had that going on with my DB1C when I first installed it. There's an AP less than 10 feet away, but it was constantly dropping/reconnecting. It replaced an RCA DB2A, which was working fine. It seems that the DB1C needed more power, it stabilised after I upgraded to a 16VAC 30VA transformer.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@kklee I'm running a 24 volt, 30 watt transformer so I don't think it's a power problem. More like the nature of WiFi under constant load.

Densor

n3wb
Reaction score
Where are you reading the signal strength in dB ? I can see the "test your signal" in the phone app but that isn't taking an actual reading from the doorbell, just your phone. The test actually says my signal is terrible even when I'm standing next to the wifi unit.

I'm not getting any drops that I know of. I'm running on 12v DC without any chime connected. Do you see the unit dropping off Blue iris ?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just go to the App Store or Play Store and download a signal analyzer. I'm using "Network Signal Info" from KAIBITS. Gives you both cell and WiFi information, in depth.

I see "no signal" on the BI status page for cameras and actual loss of signal in UI3, for the DB1C, as well.

Last edited:

Densor

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I have something similar and am getting 45 to 50 -dB at the doorbell. It is a shame they don't make wireless statistics available for display in the app or desktop program. It would make fault finding a lot easier for the user.

I use TP-Link Deco M5 mesh units around the house. One is located just inside the window from the doorbell. You made be curious as to what wireless band it was actually connected to. The Deco's only display one SSID for devices to connect to. I had a look in the Deco app and found the doorbell listed under the serial number. It is connected on the 5 GHz band which is probably an advantage speed wise.

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
It is connected on the 5 GHz band which is probably an advantage speed wise.
This may be a problem, you want it on the 2.4ghz band. the 5ghz band doesn't have good range, especially through exterior walls, whereas 2.4ghz has better range and more than enough bandwidth to handle the DB1C's data.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just added a Netgear EX6120 extender and have connected on the 5GHz band. The EX is about four feet, diagonally) from the DB1C on the inside wall, 2x6 framing and no metal (foil faced insulation or siding)between them. I'm still getting regular dropouts. I'll probably move it to 2.4GHz and see if that lowers or eliminates the dropouts. From what I can see, the WiFi chip in the DB1C is kind of poor, to say the least. It's just a PITA to move it from 5 to 2.4 given the minimal management available in either the App or the Hik config tool.

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
It's better to control the band on the extender itself. It should have created two SSIDs, one for the 2.4 and one for the 5, so when connecting a device to the extender, you have the option to pick which band you want. So if your SSID is named "House", the extender would have created two more names something like "House-2G-ext" and "House-5G-ext". Did it do this? From there you should be able to connect the DB1C to the 2.4ghz band.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I created an SSID for each band but assumed, and we know what that does, that at such a close range the connection would be solid. The way the App and config tool work, the only way to change the band, that I've found, is to delete the DB1C from the app then go through the whole configuration again with maybe a reset of the DB!C along with it. They sure skimped on management tools with the DB1C but it is targeted to the pug and pray crowd.