Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the SD59225U HNI the best camera for mounting to a chimney to overlook the driveway and street? Is there a better PTZ bullet performer?
Why do you want it that high? Unless your in a bungalow?

You'll never get a decent id of anyone from that sort of angle.

Ideally any cam needs to be as low as possible without being stupid and in easy reach of vandals/thief's

Dytryn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I already have the Dahua Starlight turret cams at the door and on the garage wall which oversees the driveway. I was thinking that something more powerful up high would be a good addition but maybe it's overkill?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I already have the Dahua Starlight turret cams at the door and on the garage wall which oversees the driveway. I was thinking that something more powerful up high would be a good addition but maybe it's overkill?
You that high I'd probably have a fixed cam to use as an overview cam.

Your not really going to get the benefits of a ptz from that high up IMO

Dytryn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You that high I'd probably have a fixed cam to use as an overview cam.

Your not really going to get the benefits of a ptz from that high up IMO
Thanks. In that case I'll pick up the PTZ and stick it on the garage wall in place of the turret.

LGT

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got my new SD59225U-HNI up and running at my office. Tomorrow I'll get it set up with zones and such.

Pretty wild zooming in on the billboard 300 yards away and clearly seeing the the rivets on the walkway (day and night). Not necessary for my purposes and not likely to do it again anytime soon.

Now I have two outdoor cameras and 4 indoors. I've got a wireless/cell alarm system, on top of that, I'm heavily insured.

I can monitor it all from my home on a big screen Samsung Android tablet or my Pixel XL on the road.

Life was a lot more care-free before I became paranoid.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@reeves1985 how high would you mount then? I was thinking of mounting it at about 15 feet high. I have a flat roof at 8 feet high and i also want to monitor the flat roof.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, is there any tutorial on this board about setting this type of cameras. I am a complete newbie in this matter and I am playing with the setup and different functions. I would really appreciate if an experienced member would explain with some examples. Otherwise it's just learning by doing and the outcome can be like scratching my right hand on the left ear.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not one of the most experienced members but in general you mount a ptz there where you have visibility of every spot you want to see with it.
Low install is in general better for identification, and high install better for overview.

Personally i have experince with a ptz at like 8 meter high, but i need to look over a 3 meter high garden wall which is 9 meters away from camera to see my car installed on public parking space. (That is like 20 meter away from camera)
Image is great, but the car burgulars tend to have hats on and look downward a bit. So identification is not optimal. Also i look at straight line to car, the traffic movement is at 90 degrees, so you see side of people heads, cars from the side etc.

If i move house i will install all cameras lower than i have now for better identification..
Ptz will be at 260cm high. We are only allowed to film own property in basis, and the garden walls can only be 2 meter heigh legally. (The current 3 meter high wall is 5 meter from the property border and belongs to the concept of the block of houses)
So I will be able to see people climb over the fence basically and see in straight line what is behind that (trees or street) but no walking people on public road.

So general advise from me:
- get your requirements clear: what do you want to view
- a ptz can only look at one thing unless you programm a tour, or have external trigger that moves it to a preset.
- do not think your ptz will cover it all, even with tour or triggered presets, you will need overview cameras for that function.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Gilles0181
As the post above in terms of install really 15 feet would be fine.

The reason I prefer to install as low as possible is because of the above where thief's tend to look down and have hoods.
So higher up makes it difficult to get get a facial.

My current ptz is up at about 15ft and I'm trying to get this new dahua a little bit lower as the road is basically next to the front of the house so it's still looking down.

I have a porch to negotiate over so it's tricky for me to get lower as I want coverage and a sensor at the front door to trigger the preset.

I'm moving the location as well to the opposite side for a better view.

Plus I'm sick of having the thugs that live across the street knocking in the door asking if I can look in the camera and see who smashed their windows etc.

15ft you'll be OK in most situations.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well the fence here is at least 2 meter away from the ptz. So they would have to get upper part of body above the 2 meter height to be able to take a long stick and hit it hard enough to take it out.

And i will install perimeter sensors. And perhaps combined radar/pir sensors, but not at the same positions.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mic setup. If you are thinking of installing an external microphone on this SD59225H-UNI, there are multiple ways to go about it for signal and power.

For my test rig, I have it on my home network, running off the power brick. I bought these outdoor mics from Ryan's recommendation.
Amazon.com : Microseven M7WP-MIC waterproof outdoor Microphone for M7B57-WPS / M7B57-WPSE Or Any IP Network Security & Surveillance Camera or Any PTZ Camere with Audio Interface - An IP camera external microphone : Camera & Photo

For now, I am just test powering the microphone with these over a Cat5 cable.
Amazon.com: iCreatin Passive PoE Injector and PoE Splitter Kit with 5.5x2.1 mm DC Connector: Computers & Accessories
2 Pack 1 Female to 2 male 5.5mm X 2.1mm CCTV DC Power Supply Splitter Cable - - Amazon.com
12V 5A 60W Power Supply AC to DC Adapter for 5050 3528 Flexible LED Strip Light | eBay
IMG_5211.JPG

That same power supply is split 3 ways and powering my PIR sensors as well. With 5 amps available, 3x - 75 foot runs should be no problem. These inexpensive connectors make the power connections easy.
inShareplus 5 Pack 5.5 X 2.1mm Barrel Power 12V Male to Female DC Power Jack Adapter Connector Plug for CCTV Security Camera LED Strip - - Amazon.com

To attach this mic, I bought these as this camera doesn't come with an RCA plug like the HDBW5231R-Z.
Amazon.com: Bluecell 10pcs Phono RCA Male Plug to AV Screw Terminal Plug Connector: Camera & Photo

While awaiting their arrival, I just hacked an old stereo connector and used the above 5.5mm/2.1mm connector as a temp solution.
IMG_5212.JPG

As others have stated, these mics are super sensitive and pick up the faintest sounds. Line in level is reduced from 50% (default) to 20% and they still grab every sound. My testing is nearly complete. I now have the mic and two PIR sensors rigged to alarms/PTZ presets and it works stellar. The auto tracking is pretty great as well.

IMG_5213.JPG
Sorry if this is a confusing mess of wires. I just used Cat5 cable for everything. One pair in to the NC ports of the PIR, and one pair attached to the 12v power supply. Again, the 12V is shared 3 ways.
IMG_5215.JPG IMG_5216.JPG

SD

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Solar Deity
What pirs are you using?
I'm trying to find something decent for my front door but over here there isn't many and even then the return to exit ones all seem to be discontinued

All I basically need is something that will sense someone near the door without giving loads of false alarms

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Mic setup. If you are thinking of installing an external microphone on this SD59225H-UNI, there are multiple ways to go about it for signal and power.

For my test rig, I have it on my home network, running off the power brick. I bought these outdoor mics from Ryan's recommendation.
Amazon.com : Microseven M7WP-MIC waterproof outdoor Microphone for M7B57-WPS / M7B57-WPSE Or Any IP Network Security & Surveillance Camera or Any PTZ Camere with Audio Interface - An IP camera external microphone : Camera & Photo

For now, I am just test powering the microphone with these over a Cat5 cable.
Amazon.com: iCreatin Passive PoE Injector and PoE Splitter Kit with 5.5x2.1 mm DC Connector: Computers & Accessories
2 Pack 1 Female to 2 male 5.5mm X 2.1mm CCTV DC Power Supply Splitter Cable - - Amazon.com
12V 5A 60W Power Supply AC to DC Adapter for 5050 3528 Flexible LED Strip Light | eBay
View attachment 16221

That same power supply is split 3 ways and powering my PIR sensors as well. With 5 amps available, 3x - 75 foot runs should be no problem. These inexpensive connectors make the power connections easy.
inShareplus 5 Pack 5.5 X 2.1mm Barrel Power 12V Male to Female DC Power Jack Adapter Connector Plug for CCTV Security Camera LED Strip - - Amazon.com

To attach this mic, I bought these as this camera doesn't come with an RCA plug like the HDBW5231R-Z.
Amazon.com: Bluecell 10pcs Phono RCA Male Plug to AV Screw Terminal Plug Connector: Camera & Photo

While awaiting their arrival, I just hacked an old stereo connector and used the above 5.5mm/2.1mm connector as a temp solution.
View attachment 16222

As others have stated, these mics are super sensitive and pick up the faintest sounds. Line in level is reduced from 50% (default) to 20% and they still grab every sound. My testing is nearly complete. I now have the mic and two PIR sensors rigged to alarms/PTZ presets and it works stellar. The auto tracking is pretty great as well.

View attachment 16223
Sorry if this is a confusing mess of wires. I just used Cat5 cable for everything. One pair in to the NC ports of the PIR, and one pair attached to the 12v power supply. Again, the 12V is shared 3 ways.
View attachment 16224 View attachment 16225

SD

I like those little connectors you got I'm gonna get some of those, I thought about using network cable but tiny wires are already hard to work with, did you just strip them with a sharp knife? maybe I will try that for the final install I just used some scrap wire and hooked the same microwave pir to a zwave door sensor to make it transmit wireless to use with a starlight turret. working with small braided wire sucks though so if the wire in the network cable is solid it would probably be easier to work with lol.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.