Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Re Auto Focus issues, as I said before, set up for high contrast.

Forced Colour Mode test:
Just wondering about your settings in forced colour mode. Would you mind sharing your picture settings? Anything like BLC, HLC, WDR on? How about DNR 2D and 3D settings? Your forced colour picture quality is much cleaner than mine. Mine looks somewhat 'grainy'. I wonder what settings you're using.

Last edited:

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wondering about your settings in forced colour mode. Would you mind sharing your picture settings? Anything like BLC, HLC, WDR on? How about DNR 2D and 3D settings? Your forced colour picture quality is much cleaner than mine. Mine looks somewhat 'grainy'. I wonder what settings you're using.
Should be able to later today.
Watch this space.

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy just got me to look at someone else's camera.
These are the settings I used to fix his auto focus issues.

The user will need to adjust them to get it where they want the IR/light levels but my aim was more to test the AF on the camera, which is now working fine. :)
So you used the Normal Profile which means this is also for daylight. No issues there with these settings?

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy just got me to look at someone else's camera.
These are the settings I used to fix his auto focus issues.

The user will need to adjust them to get it where they want the IR/light levels but my aim was more to test the AF on the camera, which is now working fine. :)

View attachment 18374 View attachment 18375 View attachment 18376 View attachment 18377 View attachment 18379 View attachment 18380 View attachment 18381 View attachment 18382 View attachment 18383
Hi @beingaware, can you post also your own settings from your forced colour mode video?

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@beingaware are you an engineer with Dahua? Those are the only people that should have been playing with my camera...

Andy, I ***REALLY*** don't appreciate you giving out my camera login information to random people to play with. The issue I have is specific to my camera being defective, not a focus issue due to settings.

For everyone else's interest, now that my camera issue is public, I have two of this same model. At full zoom one is unable to focus - if I back it off a hair it comes into focus. Here are samples from the two different cams, which are on opposite corners of my house...(even the good one is a bit blurry from the heat today, but you get the idea) - I've tried the lens init function, which also didn't help.

Camera1.jpg Camera2.jpg

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On an unrelated note, this works well for plugging the back of the box if you are using a corner mount (OER Rubber Trunk Floor Pan Plugs 1667195) - Expensive for what it is, but fits perfectly..Poked a small hole in it for the LAN cable as you can see in the pic.

IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0245.JPG

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@beingaware are you an engineer with Dahua? Those are the only people that should have been playing with my camera...

Andy, I ***REALLY*** don't appreciate you giving out my camera login information to random people to play with. The issue I have is specific to my camera being defective, not a focus issue due to settings.

For everyone else's interest, now that my camera issue is public, I have two of this same model. At full zoom one is unable to focus - if I back it off a hair it comes into focus. Here are samples from the two different cams, which are on opposite corners of my house...(even the good one is a bit blurry from the heat today, but you get the idea) - I've tried the lens init function, which also didn't help.

View attachment 18394 View attachment 18395

I wouldn't be angry at him, he was trying to get second opinion from a trusted person.

The issue explained as the issue auto focusing, which the camera was having at zoomed distances, that was corrected settings wise.

Re the focus there, that sign was problematic with the IR so wasn't able to look into it but I did have issues with it focusing in that direction, while it behaved a lot better in the other direction.
One thing I did notice was the camera kept tripping it's self on reflections.

Agreed there is something not 100% with that camera as the IR spot didn't want to auto switch in smartIR.

When you looked in the other direction, does the camera blur?
I assume so...
Is the camera unit seated 100% after loading the SD card?
Can you check the lens for tiny smudges.
Is the firmware the same on both cameras?
Last thing I'd try would be factory reset then reload the firmware.

If that fails, then I'd agree with RMA.

Last edited:

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He must have explained the issue incorrectly to you then. I'm upset only because I provided that information solely for him and a "Dahua engineer". Next thing I know I see images from my camera online.

I've tried everything mentioned above with no improvement. It's as if the cam is allowing it to be zoomed slightly farther than what the focus is capable of.

That particular camera also has a section enabled in the firmware called "Life Statistics" which I don't see in the other camera. That leads me to believe that some non user-accessible settings were changed somewhere along the line. It's actually cool information:

LifeStatistics.png

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He must have explained the issue incorrectly to you then. I'm upset only because I provided that information solely for him and a "Dahua engineer". Next thing I know I see images from my camera online.

I've tried everything mentioned above with no improvement. It's as if the cam is allowing it to be zoomed slightly farther than what the focus is capable of.

That particular camera also has a section enabled in the firmware called "Life Statistics" which I don't see in the other camera. That leads me to believe that some non user-accessible settings were changed somewhere along the line. It's actually cool information:

View attachment 18399
What firmware versions are on these cams? I couldn't get SmartIR on the 9/16 firmware. It's there on the 3/17 but then there are no global settings for IVS.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 18399
Do remember he cannot easily remote in due to the "great firewall of China" though he wouldn't give those details out unless he really trusted the engineer for assistance.

But I do see where you are coming.

Mmm looks like they do have different firmwares loaded which may cause different behaviour in its focus rings.

Speak to Andy about either going to the 2016 firmware or the early 2017 firmware for both the camera and ptz.

Once they are on the same firmware levels, try switching the two cameras around just to rule out locational issues (I've had that issue before, usually reflections or bushes cause it)

I'll confirm with Andy if you can switch the two camera internals around rather then the whole PTZ.

Once that is ruled out then Andy shouldn't have any issues doing an RMA.

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What firmware versions are on these cams? I couldn't get SmartIR on the 9/16 firmware. It's there on the 3/17 but then there are no global settings for IVS.
[NTSC]DH_SD-Eos_EngSpn_N_Stream3_V2.422.0000.8.R.20170315

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not a location issue - I can zoom in on anything at infinite focus and get the same results. Just picked the stop sign randomly. It only occurs at infinite focus.

With the "Life Statistics" oddity, I wonder if there is a way to wipe out any hidden settings/config via telnet. Both the web interface and reset button default didn't change anything.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's not a location issue - I can zoom in on anything at infinite focus and get the same results. Just picked the stop sign randomly. It only occurs at infinite focus.

With the "Life Statistics" oddity, I wonder if there is a way to wipe out any hidden settings/config via telnet. Both the web interface and reset button default didn't change anything.
So that rules out location.
All that's left is firmware and hidden config. (Which Dahua's do have)

There is a way to fully nuke and reload the camera via tftp, look up the Dahua recovery thread for the steps but I'd load the 2016 firmware/factory reset via the webgui first before trying the TFTP route.

Firmwares to test.
Remember to both the Camera firmware and PTZ firmware.
Do not mix them up.

Grab this: Index of /Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/05SD/Main_Firmware/SD-Eos/DH/20160912

ENG_N is the one you want.
Factory reset the camera before and after loading the firmware to clear out any hidden configurations.

Then this: ftp://ftp.asm.cz/Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/05SD/PTZ_Firmware/SD59XXXS-HN/
Try 2.0.4 with the older firmware.

If it still plays up after loading both and factory resetting, try this version: Index of /Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/05SD/Main_Firmware/SD-Eos/General/20160912
Again Eng N but you can try P.

But if that still has issues.
Factory reset and load the firmware from here: SD59225U-HNI

[NTSC]DH_SD-Eos_EngSpn_N_Stream3_V2.422.0000.8.R.20170315
[PTZ]General_SD59XXXS-HN_V3.02.20.R.170116

Give the lens a good clean and re-seat the camera module.

If it still has focus issues after that, then it is hardware issue.

Last edited:

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 18394 View attachment 18395
I played with your camera, only fair you get to play with one of mine.
Fair is fair.

It's on it's own VLAN, just created it just for you, go nuts with it, its on a 100/40mbps connection.
Will leave it up for 24 hours.

Have fun

http://203.185.204.15:9000/
Username: user
Password: ipcamtalk2

Last edited:

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you mention reseat the camera module, are there pics/details of that anywhere? I think that's the only thing I haven't done...

Trying to TFTP in completely new firmware now but it's timing out...

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you mention reseat the camera module, are there pics/details of that anywhere? I think that's the only thing I haven't done...

Trying to TFTP in completely new firmware now but it's timing out...
Follow the guide on installing the SD card, it shows you how to remove the camera module from the PTZ to install the SD card.

Use that guide to safely and carefully pull it out and place it back in, make sure it aligns/clicks in correctly.
Use the gloves provided to avoid getting oil on the lense.
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/SD59225U-HNI_User_Manual_20160912.pdf
See page 11 (section 2.5)

Re the tftp guide, that was a last option if the older firmware + reset failed to take via web gui.
but they usually take 5-10 minutes update and it can default back to dhcp or .108.

If that fails to respond, power cycle it.

Last edited: