Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i just noticed that EmpireTechnology on Aliexpress no longer sell Dahua cams but they sell something really really similar with the brand EmpireTech. Whats going on here?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i just noticed that EmpireTechnology on Aliexpress no longer sell Dahua cams but they sell something really really similar with the brand EmpireTech. Whats going on here?
This is a total guess on my part.

Dahua makes hardware that has their logo on the hardware and in the firmware. This equipment is only supposed to be sold directly to installers, not to consumers (like many of us here).

Dahua also sells the same hardware (minus the logo) to companies (like Lorex) who put their own brand/logos on it. These companies can resell direct to consumers.

It seems like a lot of shops on AliExpress and eBay are reselling the no-logo version of equipment by describing it as “Dahua”, which it technically isn’t. Doing that causes it to show up on searches, which generates business.

For the longest time, if you Googled for info on the 5231 (or other Starlight models), the threads on the forum here were one of the first hits. My guess is that it drove enough business to Andy/EmpireTec that official Dahua resellers bitched enough to put him in the spotlight, so he’s now selling the same no-logo equipment As he always has, but like Lorex does, he has to give it a new brand/name.

Again, total guess.

Regardless of what he calls the equipment, I’m happy to see his business expand. He’s been great to work with, and the support he’s given on the forum here has been great!

Last edited:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ahh, I see, this totally make sense. Many thanks for your clarification. I bought my Dahua from Andy several months ago and now i just found this "new" brand which is actually Dahua if we are not mistaken. The only question is the firmware now. Should we get the firmware from Dauha website or we must get them from Andy?

This is a total guess on my part.

Dahua makes hardware that has their logo on the hardware and in the firmware. This equipment is only supposed to be sold directly to installers, not to consumers (like many of us here).

Dahua also sells the same hardware (minus the logo) to companies (like Lorex) who put their own brand/logos on it. These companies can resell direct to consumers.

It seems like a lot of shops on AliExpress and eBay are reselling the no-logo version of equipment by describing it as “Dahua”, which it technically isn’t. Doing that causes it to show up on searches, which generates business.

For the longest time, if you Googled for info on the 5231 (or other Starlight models), the threads on the forum here were one of the first hits. My guess is that it drove enough business to Andy/EmpireTec that official Dahua resellers bitched enough to put him in the spotlight, so he’s now selling the same no-logo equipment As he always has, but like Lorex does, he has to give it a new brand/name.

Again, total guess.

Regardless of what he calls the equipment, I’m happy to see his business expand. He’s been great to work with, and the support he’s given on the forum here has been great!

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
ahh, I see, this totally make sense. Many thanks for your clarification. I bought my Dahua from Andy several months ago and now i just found this "new" brand which is actually Dahua if we are not mistaken. The only question is the firmware now. Should we get the firmware from Dauha website or we must get them from Andy?
Ive sent this tread to Andy.. im sure he will address this soon.. he's great with customer service and support

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
can get from dahua website directly, that is not be a problem at all.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Ive sent this tread to Andy.. im sure he will address this soon.. he's great with customer service and support
@camerguy he bought the cam 2 months ago he is studying here how to make the cam working great . And make some videos to help others for the IVS setting. A nice man!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @aristobrat said, a while back a Dahua Dealer or two here in the states complained, and Dahua had him change the name. It's the same stuff he's always sold.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got mine up yesterday and it was the talk of the street as I'd enabled auto intelligence tracking as a test and it was trying to watch everything - the neighbours loved it.

I'm getting to grips with it and disabled that and set up a few tripwires so have a steep learning curve in front of me and I've been reading plenty of posts on here (as well as this entire thread!)

Anyway - I got woken up at 2:45am to the sound of an Audi S / RS getting driven unusually and jumped up to see footage only to see said Audi come driving towards our estate and then it parks up and two guys come and scope out next doors M3 for a couple of minutes before walking away when they see their Hikvision cameras although bizarrely looking straight at them.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guys, I can manually pan tilt and zoom my sd59225u-hni but I somehow lost autotracking ability. I have not done anything to setup of the camera or software update, I just notice one day that it does not track anything anymore. Any guess how can I fix that?
Did you get this working? Do you have IVS setup? If not, do you have intelligent autotracking enabled?

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wanted to share a summary of my experience in case it helps someone else. Forgive me if I jump around a bit or repeat anything others have mentioned. :)

I finally managed to find the time to install my SD59230U-HNI. I installed some other star light cams (HDW4231RZ, HFW5231E-Z5E) as well and absolutely love these. I can post some night shots comparing them to the Hiks they replaced if anyone is interested. It's literally night & day!

All in all, this was a fair bit of work, but a lot of fun. I ran a dedicated plug near the PTZ so I could use the power supply that came with it. Plus of course fishing cat5e to the cameras. As can be seen I went with the corner bracket and box, plus the firewall boot SD recommended to keep it water tight. (now that the PTZ is there, my wife agro has hit new levels, and I might end up having to move the PTZ somewhere else, but that's for another day LOL!)

Now that I've had a couple days with them I'll speak about the PTZ experience, which has mostly been recording (all default settings) the end of my driveway. If I'm to be 100% honest, so far I don't like this camera and I regret buying it. For the money, I'd have been better off with more turrets. So far I find it to be very flaky, which hopefully turns out to be finger trouble. I am not excluding that I am making provisioning mistakes, and admit I am pretty much just winging all of this.

One issue for example is whenever the PTZ camera detects an event, there is a small skip in the video. Through Blue Iris this is shown as a black frame or two. On the video saved to the sd card, the camera replay shows a distorted blip with a couple of messed up frames.

Another consideration is that this camera is de-coupled from Blue Iris for events like auto-tracking. Meaning it needs to be managed directly from it's web interface. I wish BI could take over the auto-tracking capabilities as I find the web interface non-intuitive. I have thus far NOT been able to get any sort of reliable auto-tracking. It starts tracking for a few seconds then returns to a previous preset. Again, could be finger trouble, but if so, why is this so brutal a user experience? I need more stick time and experimentation before I abandon all hope for auto-tracking, but it's not looking good.

I realize I'm jumping topics here, but I want to mention that I had Blue Iris when I bought my first Hik cameras about 1.5 years back. At one point I switched to a Hik NVR which was actually awesome, but with the new Dahua cams have returned to Blue Iris. Thanks to Dasstrums videos, I have a much better tuned BI. What a spectacular piece of software for the money. BI blows the HIK DS-7600 out of the water. I don't need to, but I will re-new the BI license because the dev deserves the support.

A couple general question about the PTZ:

A small thing, but I live in Canada where it's well below 0C. Foe example, it's -5C outside but the on-screen temp show 16C. Is the sensor wrong, or does this camera actually run this hot?

Why does the camera have an auto-reboot option once per week? I disabled it for now.

All I can think of for now .

Attachments

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Wanted to share a summary of my experience in case it helps someone else. Forgive me if I jump around a bit or repeat anything others have mentioned. :)

I finally managed to find the time to install my SD59230U-HNI. I installed some other star light cams (HDW4231RZ, HFW5231E-Z5E) as well and absolutely love these. I can post some night shots comparing them to the Hiks they replaced if anyone is interested. It's literally night & day!

All in all, this was a fair bit of work, but a lot of fun. I ran a dedicated plug near the PTZ so I could use the power supply that came with it. Plus of course fishing cat5e to the cameras. As can be seen I went with the corner bracket and box, plus the firewall boot SD recommended to keep it water tight. (now that the PTZ is there, my wife agro has hit new levels, and I might end up having to move the PTZ somewhere else, but that's for another day LOL!)

Now that I've had a couple days with them I'll speak about the PTZ experience, which has mostly been recording (all default settings) the end of my driveway. If I'm to be 100% honest, so far I don't like this camera and I regret buying it. For the money, I'd have been better off with more turrets. So far I find it to be very flaky, which hopefully turns out to be finger trouble. I am not excluding that I am making provisioning mistakes, and admit I am pretty much just winging all of this.

One issue for example is whenever the PTZ camera detects an event, there is a small skip in the video. Through Blue Iris this is shown as a black frame or two. On the video saved to the sd card, the camera replay shows a distorted blip with a couple of messed up frames.

Another consideration is that this camera is de-coupled from Blue Iris for events like auto-tracking. Meaning it needs to be managed directly from it's web interface. I wish BI could take over the auto-tracking capabilities as I find the web interface non-intuitive. I have thus far NOT been able to get any sort of reliable auto-tracking. It starts tracking for a few seconds then returns to a previous preset. Again, could be finger trouble, but if so, why is this so brutal a user experience? I need more stick time and experimentation before I abandon all hope for auto-tracking, but it's not looking good.

I realize I'm jumping topics here, but I want to mention that I had Blue Iris when I bought my first Hik cameras about 1.5 years back. At one point I switched to a Hik NVR which was actually awesome, but with the new Dahua cams have returned to Blue Iris. Thanks to Dasstrums videos, I have a much better tuned BI. What a spectacular piece of software for the money. BI blows the HIK DS-7600 out of the water. I don't need to, but I will re-new the BI license because the dev deserves the support.

A couple general question about the PTZ:

A small thing, but I live in Canada where it's well below 0C. Foe example, it's -5C outside but the on-screen temp show 16C. Is the sensor wrong, or does this camera actually run this hot?

Why does the camera have an auto-reboot option once per week? I disabled it for now.

All I can think of for now .
Please post a screenshot of your ivs setup and the region you attempting to track.. i ive had some success with tracking vehicles and people.. here is an example of my camera in action:

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please post a screenshot of your ivs setup and the region you attempting to track.. i ive had some success with tracking vehicles and people.. here is an example of my camera in action:
Thanks, that looks very promising. I'll post my settings tonight when I get home from work.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I initially tried quite a complex set of tripwire rules and for now have gone to a more simple intrusion box with a minimum size to try and ignore cats etc walking about.

So far I'm happy and it caught two guys attempting to break in to next door already.

Lots of tweaking with these I guess and it does seem to be very reactive to shadows etc but some of the autotracking clips are really good.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I initially tried quite a complex set of tripwire rules and for now have gone to a more simple intrusion box with a minimum size to try and ignore cats etc walking about.

So far I'm happy and it caught two guys attempting to break in to next door already.

Lots of tweaking with these I guess and it does seem to be very reactive to shadows etc but some of the autotracking clips are really good.
Agreed.. i only use 2 intrusion boxes on my ivs.. seemed like the more simple i made it the better results i got.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The temp sensor is on the main board, that is not the outdoor temp. And yes they run warm, especially when the IR is on.

I don't have the issue's of the blip on event.

Typically, more fixed cams are always better than a PTZ unless you are manning it all the time. It has a high chance of looking the wrong way at the wrong time.

Good luck with the auto tracking, I've never been able to get mine close to reliable.