Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, finally got a break from the rain for a day.
Here is a video for your entertainment.
Shutter speeds used when camera was in color mode 1/60, 1/30, 1/12, 1/6, 1/3
During the B&W 1/30

**Oh, and by the way, this cam does NOT require plugins in Chrome. Not tested any other browser.**

@Mike

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@looney2ns are you running the default 3DNR settings for forced color at night? I’m wondering because I see that it is leaving artifacts as you’re walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the night shots your face is completely washed out, is this due to the IR?
Yes, but on my monitor, my face is not completely washed out in the latest video.

@looney2ns are you running the default 3DNR settings for forced color at night? I’m wondering because I see that it is leaving artifacts as you’re walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the last video, everything was at defaults, except I was changing the shutter speeds and the IR was set to auto.
Area of my driveway I was walking is almost completely dark.

aaadad

n3wb
Reaction score
I received my IPCT-HDW5431RE-I from Andy last week and got it mounted this weekend. This is my first Hik cam and just started looking at night video this evening. I cannot seem to disable IR in night mode, and when in day (color) mode I do not have access to shutter speeds slower than 1/30. Any thoughts? My firmware version is V5.5.71 build 181206.

EDIT: I figured out the shutter speed, had to switch from Auto-Switch to Scheduled-Switch in Scheduled Image Settings to change day time shutter speeds.

EDIT: OK this is a bit strange, to control IR in night mode I have to set Smart Supplement Light to ON and set Mode to Manual and select Distance of 1 to turn IR off. If I set to OFF then IR is on 100%. What am I not getting here?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I received my IPCT-HDW5431RE-I from Andy last week and got it mounted this weekend. This is my first Hik cam and just started looking at night video this evening. I cannot seem to disable IR in night mode, and when in day (color) mode I do not have access to shutter speeds slower than 1/30. Any thoughts? My firmware version is V5.5.71 build 181206.
Configuration> Advanced Configuration> System > Service

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do your night t videos contain clips of the camera using only it's own IR and not the additional 7.5 and 8watt external eluminators?
I have none of those so I want to make sure I comparing apples to apples with the night view compared to my cameras, thanks.

aaadad

n3wb
Reaction score
Configuration> Advanced Configuration> System > Service
Under Configuration I have the following options: System, Network, Video/Audio, Image, Event, Storage. Under Image I have Display Settings dealing with Image Adjustment, Exposure Settings, Day/Night Switch etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Under Configuration I have the following options: System, Network, Video/Audio, Image, Event, Storage. Under Image I have Display Settings dealing with Image Adjustment, Exposure Settings, Day/Night Switch etc.
click on system>service

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do your night t videos contain clips of the camera using only it's own IR and not the additional 7.5 and 8watt external eluminators?
I have none of those so I want to make sure I comparing apples to apples with the night view compared to my cameras, thanks.
In the video in post #21, starting at mark 1:03 until mark 2:30, only the cams IR is on.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine is apparently different than @fenderman .
upload_2019-2-11_17-45-28.png

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

aaadad

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for locating the ir switch for me. I do not wish to use the camera's ir because I am rural, and the ir brings a snowstorm of bugs to the face of the camera. I do have some neighbors with a few lights on at night; but the nearest is 400ft away. I would consider ir floodlights some distance from the cameras, if necessary. I am looking for starting adjustment settings for these conditions. I have been playing a bit to a point where it looks good; but when I walk in front of the camera I am but a ghost. I have a neighbor whose home can be seen from space at night so his dome cameras don't ever have to go into night mode. I don't want to be that guy.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for locating the ir switch for me. I do not wish to use the camera's ir because I am rural, and the ir brings a snowstorm of bugs to the face of the camera. I do have some neighbors with a few lights on at night; but the nearest is 400ft away. I would consider ir floodlights some distance from the cameras, if necessary. I am looking for starting adjustment settings for these conditions. I have been playing a bit to a point where it looks good; but when I walk in front of the camera I am but a ghost. I have a neighbor whose home can be seen from space at night so his dome cameras don't ever have to go into night mode. I don't want to be that guy.
You need enough ir light that will let you set the shutter manually to at least 1/30 or 1/60. I like the Tendalux ir's on Amazon.

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
This is looking pretty good to me. Can't wait till it warms up here so I can do some testing of placements. By then I will likely have one of these to put up next to a 2MP (and a 4MP hacked firmware that I bought knowing others hate them...but I am a sucker and must see for myself).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So how does this compare to the 2Mp Dahua Starlight? The sensor is the same size as is the min light requirement?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So how does this compare to the 2Mp Dahua Starlight? The sensor is the same size as is the min light requirement?
The specs show the sensor is 1/2.7”, ... so it’s a smidge bigger than the 1/2.8” in the Dahua Starlights.

Hik and Dahua use different ways to show minimum illumination values. I don’t understand Hik’s method. For example, this camera is fixed-lens, so the f value for the lens is what it is and doesn’t change. But if you go back to the OP and read the min illumination specs, it shows values based off of two different f values?

Assuming Hik’s min illumination specs are comparable between diff models, they give their Dahua Starlight equivalent model a .005 min illumination spec. They rate this model at .007.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, hope this helps.

For the most part, all settings at factory defaults, except when I turn off IR, force to color, and drop the shutter to manual at 1/3 at the end. IPCT 100gain, and Dahua 50% gain. (factory defaults).
Be sure to set YT player to 1440 for the IPCT cam