Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A few night-time videos added to post #4. I really hate being in the videos, but I don’t know any other way to test them. None of my neighbors seemed keen to help me test that part. :)

So I’m up against a temp time crunch — I leave town early Friday AM and won’t be back until the following weekend. I’ve got a little time tonight and tomorrow night to play. If there are any requests, please let me know and I’ll try to get them the next day or two. If not, as soon as I’m back!

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How would you compare video quality of this cam to the 5231R-ZE?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just looking at the videos,

The brightly lit scenes are great.
But I'm a bit underwhelmed by the b&w video.
It seems there's an awful lot of artifacts and blur.

I will admit I am watching it on the mobile device, but for whatever reason maybe it's a setting tweak or 2 but I was expecting better

VisionxOrb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just looking at the videos,

The brightly lit scenes are great.
But I'm a bit underwhelmed by the b&w video.
It seems there's an awful lot of artifacts and blur.

I will admit I am watching it on the mobile device, but for whatever reason maybe it's a setting tweak or 2 but I was expecting better
The b/w isn't using supplemental IR light, maybe adding one or getting the non white led version will be better for b/w if that's what you going to use.

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I received the IPC-T5442TM-AS this morning, and I found that the shell is the same as the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE - I didn't even bother swapping out the old base from the mount. Also, I didn't open it up but it appears to be a m16 lens (vs. the standard m12). I guess the m12 lens is becoming obsolete!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I received the IPC-T5442TM-AS this morning, and I found that the shell is the same as the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE - I didn't even bother swapping out the old base from the mount. Also, I didn't open it up but it appears to be a m16 lens (vs. the standard m12). I guess the m12 lens is becoming obsolete!
Yes, that is correct, because both use same wall mount PFB204W and junction box PFA130-E.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the initial videos, that's crisp video in the afternoon from that 4Mp sensor.

When you're back I'd be intrigued to see how the video fares at night with noise reduction turned down please although as is that is some good usable evidence.

Maybe that white clipping from the IR as you see when you get up close at night will be reduced in future firmwares (unless BLC would help - was it on?)

I've got to admit I'd disappointed not to see a Toyota Aristo sat on your driveway though, with the username I've always been expecting that :)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How would you compare video quality of this cam to the 5231R-ZE?
IMO, since this particular model is a "Full Color" model (that doesn't have IR), I'm thinking it's more comparable to the Full Color 4239, not the 5231 (with IR):
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE

For your question, I think the model (with IR) that @looney2ns will be reviewing will be one to compare to a 5231.

For the folks that don't run IR with their cameras at night, here's a comparison between this camera and a SD1A203T-GN with the IR turned off. The SD1A is a 2MP Starlight PTZ mini-dome whose image quality is very close to a 5231, IMO.

ACTUALLY, THIS MIGHT NOT A GOOD COMPARISON. Even though the 2MP Starlight below has IR disabled, it still "sees" IR on the lawn and driveway coming from other cameras on the front of the house. I'm thinking because the 5442-AS-LED is not able to "see" IR, that's probably why the grass and driveway look darker. #stilllearning

5442-AS-LED <no IR>:

camColor 2019-5-27 10.00.37.144 PM.jpg

2MP Starlight <IR disabled> (SD1A203T-GN):

2MP Starlight.jpg

Last edited:

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMO, since this particular model is a "Full Color" model (that doesn't have IR), I'm thinking it's more comparable to the Full Color 4239, not the 5231 (with IR):
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE

For your question, I think the model (with IR) that @looney2ns will be reviewing will be one to compare to a 5231.

For the folks that don't run IR with their cameras at night, here's a comparison between this camera and a SD1A203T-GN with the IR turned off. The SD1A is a 2MP Starlight PTZ mini-dome whose image quality is very close to a 5231, IMO.

ACTUALLY, THIS MIGHT NOT A GOOD COMPARISON. Even though the 2MP Starlight below has IR disabled, it still "sees" IR on the lawn and driveway coming from other cameras on the front of the house. I'm thinking because the 5442-AS-LED is not able to "see" IR, that's probably why the grass and driveway look darker. #stilllearning

5442-AS-LED <no IR>:

View attachment 42923

2MP Starlight <IR disabled> (SD1A203T-GN):

View attachment 42922
Thanks for your reply. You may be right. I will have to wait for looney2ns to review his.
Either way, awesome write-up and thanks for your contribution and work on getting this review!
I was actually thinking of getting the mini PTZ you mentioned in the above post, but then saw the Starlight+ coming out, so thats the only reason why I did not pull the trigger on the mini PTZ yesterdays.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
5442-LED BW

In this video, only the 60W garage light is on. The camera is in Auto mode and chose B/W.

Is it just me or are the compression artefacts pretty severe in this? I would think it seriously hinders Recognition and certainly Identification as they also appear in the face area. Seems to be worse than what I've seen from the 2MP Starlights on this forum from what I remember. What is the bitrate that was used for this video?

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was default CBR/4096 I think. When I’m back home at the end of next week I’ll play around with settings and post some more videos.

This model not having (and being blind to) IR really doesn’t help it when the built-in LEDs are off.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
It was default CBR/4096 I think. When I’m back home at the end of next week I’ll play around with settings and post some more videos.

This model not having (and being blind to) IR really doesn’t help it when the built-in LEDs are off.
This camera is made for low light place with led light. Can check ipc-hdbw4239r-ase or ipc-hfw4239t-ase. These 2 without ir light and can work great .

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for all these comparisons. You've nailed the decision for me with these comparisons. I must have the IR versions, especially for very dark streets with no street lamp homes. I think the LED version is meant to illuminate an alleyway where there is some sort of wall/fence that can reflect that light back and illuminate something nearby. It wouldn't make sence for an LED to try to shine 75-150ft+ all the way to the street when it's completely pitch black, and try to get some footage back.

I think I may get the active deterrence version though that's coming in June. The one that has both IR and the white LED which turns on with motion detection.

slogik

n3wb
Reaction score
Not on this model. That function is available on dahua active deterrence cams. None are available with this sensor yet.
Can you turn the LED on and off with an http sting though? Would be fairly trivial to mimic that behavior, DVR senses motion, sends string to camera to turn on led, turns off x amount of time after motion has stopped by sending another http string?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you turn the LED on and off with an http sting though? Would be fairly trivial to mimic that behavior, DVR senses motion, sends string to camera to turn on led, turns off x amount of time after motion has stopped by sending another http string?
yes as it will work like IR. The problem is that it would likely cause the image to be unusable as the camera adjusts back and forth.