Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
This nearly identical model at HD has the same number of LEDs, a narrower field of illumination, and yet 1/4 the effective distance (which is probably the more accurate number). The reviews for both models are also terrible. While I am in the market for a new illuminator, I think I'll be passing on these models.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can confirm, that at least for license plate purposes, the Iluminar IRC99-A60-24 IR illuminator is top notch when compared against Tendelux. The Iluminar IRC99-A60-24 IR illuminator has a more concentrated IR output. Parley has found an excellent product. :cool:
Have you tried out the Tendelux DI20 20 Watt IR illuminator? It's a 90* beam but claims an effective range of 150-240 feet. I have a z12e set up as an lpr at about 130 feet with a DI20 aimed in that direction to help out. The Iluminar claims a range of ~100 feet but the beam is a little more focused. It's also 2x the cost of the DI20 and 15 watts. I have a second z12e facing the other way I thought about adding extra ir to. I may try out the Iluminar is the extra money equates to much better performance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried out the Tendelux DI20 20 Watt IR illuminator? It's a 90* beam but claims an effective range of 150-240 feet. I have a z12e set up as an lpr at about 130 feet with a DI20 aimed in that direction to help out. The Iluminar claims a range of ~100 feet but the beam is a little more focused. It's also 2x the cost of the DI20 and 15 watts. I have a second z12e facing the other way I thought about adding extra ir to. I may try out the Iluminar is the extra money equates to much better performance.
I have found the Tendelux to be useless for LPR. I could not see a difference with or without it on my LPR camera.

Further on my cams with 1/60 or 1/120s shutters, I do not see an effective range in the 150-240 feet range. More like 70ish.

Now with an auto shutter (that obviously is slowed down a lot), yeah it is bright out to 250 feet, but we aren't using auto shutters in these applications.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My Illuminar reaches out further than the specifications say. 100' is quite conservative for the 60 degree version.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have found the Tendelux to be useless for LPR. I could not see a difference with or without it on my LPR camera.
I guess I need to unplug it to see if the captures are much different. I installed it at the same time as the camera but I don't recall testing the camera without the ir.

My Illuminar reaches out further than the specifications say. 100' is quite conservative for the 60 degree version.
That's good to hear. Most of the times, the numbers seem to be only in best case conditions. B&H says expected availability is in 3-7 business days so it wouldn't be that long of a wait. These cameras are becoming more expensive than my jeep.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I need to unplug it to see if the captures are much different. I installed it at the same time as the camera but I don't recall testing the camera without the ir.

That's good to hear. Most of the times, the numbers seem to be only in best case conditions. B&H says expected availability is in 3-7 business days so it wouldn't be that long of a wait. These cameras are becoming more expensive than my jeep.
I have found that the availability is about twice that time unless they have restocked a bunch of them. Mine was shipped from Southern California. I have found the wait time to be well worth it.

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I had been using the black Tendelux DI20 IR Illuminator for each license plate camera and just threw both of them away! They are on their way to the City of Lubbock dump site. I still have a third one in case I want to use it for comparison purposes. Another good thing about the Iluminar IRC99-A60-24 is that it has a metal body and looks more imposing than Tendelux.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I had been using the black Tendelux DI20 IR Illuminator for each license plate camera and just threw both of them away! They are on their way to the City of Lubbock dump site. I still have a third one in case I want to use it for comparison purposes. Another good thing about the Iluminar IRC99-A60-24 is that it has a metal body and looks more imposing than Tendelux.
I'm glad it's metal. It looks kinda plasticky in the pictures. I went ahead and ordered it.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I purchased and installed a third Iluminar IRC99-A60-24 IR Illuminator. So I've got two of those in use on one license plate capture camera, and the third one in use with a Speco Technologies IR60 IR Illuminator on the other license plate capture camera. The Iluminar IRC99-A60-24 IR Illuminator absolutely runs circles around the Tendelux models for license plate illumination purposes.

Last edited:

cordes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Tendelux DI20 IR Illuminator died after only 2 months. I thought it might have been the power supply, but it wasn't that. I'll inspect the unit at the mounting site tomorrow, but since I used high quality dual walled heat shrink tubing when I installed the connector at the unit, I'm 99.99999% sure it's not water infiltration into the connection causing the issue. I can't recommend it at all, though the performance was decent for the money given my low expectations initally.

Bottom line, is that I do not recommend it at all. I ordered a unit from Univivi per the above good reviews. We'll see how this one holds up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Tendelux DI20 IR Illuminator died after only 2 months. I thought it might have been the power supply, but it wasn't that. I'll inspect the unit at the mounting site tomorrow, but since I used high quality dual walled heat shrink tubing when I installed the connector at the unit, I'm 99.99999% sure it's not water infiltration into the connection causing the issue. I can't recommend it at all, though the performance was decent for the money given my low expectations initally.

Bottom line, is that I do not recommend it at all. I ordered a unit from Univivi per the above good reviews. We'll see how this one holds up.
Is the wall wart exposed to rain or is it protected?