Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, I finally installed my IR emitter a couple of weeks ago, purely for LPR purposes as my camera is positioned in a letterbox behind glass. I needed a little extra IR. Anyway, I didn't have the option to have it at height and was forced to put it a ground level. It took me a bit of time to best work out how to actually install it but the images should give you an idea what I did. It does work, I'm getting more hits on licence plate numbers both front and rear. In time I will be installing 2 or 3 garden lights along where the emitter is installed, so hopefully it won't stand out as much. Having said that, my misses hasn't noticed it yet.
Yesterday, my misses asked me what that solar panel thingy is in the front lawn. :lmao:

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was pondering grabbing a different illuminator earlier and thought I'd come here and check what was being used. Glad I did! :)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Okay, UPS delivered the IR illuminators today. I got them installed and will play around with them after dark. I also relocated my gutter downspout to get it out of view.
Looks great! You'll be amazed with the difference. Would like to see before/after pictures if possible. How are you providing power to these?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks great! You'll be amazed with the difference. Would like to see before/after pictures if possible. How are you providing power to these?
Thanks! The cables from the illuminators go into the weather proof box that you see mounted on the mast. They connect to extension cables inside the box and the cables travel down the conduit you see and under the house. Then they plug into an outlet that I have under the house in the crawl space.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks! The cables from the illuminators go into the weather proof box that you see mounted on the mast. They connect to extension cables inside the box and the cables travel down the conduit you see and under the house. Then they plug into an outlet that I have under the house in the crawl space.
Gotcha. I power all of mine using low-voltage landscape lighting transformers.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay, UPS delivered the IR illuminators today. I got them installed and will play around with them after dark. I also relocated my gutter downspout to get it out of view.
You should have some drip loops on your cables before they go into the junction box.
But they look great.
Can't wait to see the results.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely some drip loops on those wires just prior to them entering the box.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I changed the wiring. Originally I had one POE cable running to this fence post, so I had 3 cameras, a POE extender, and two of those CMVision IR40 illuminators (4W each?) all running off that one cable run, off of a single POE+ 802.3at port from an Amcrest AMPS5E4P-At-65. It will allegedly deliver 30W to one port and 65W to all 4 combined:

View attachment 135192

I ran a second cable* out of the POE+ switch to power one camera and one illuminator, which reduces the load on both the POE extender and that one POE+ port:

View attachment 135193

It works! I ran the 10W illuminators for 5-6 minutes last night, and nothing shut off like it did last time.

I need to find some daytime when I can mount the two Tendelux illuminators, and I also want to zip tie some of that diffuser material onto them, so it'll be a few days before I get new and improved coyote footage.

* running that second cable was supposed to take 20 minutes, but it took 2.5 hours because my pulling eye got unscrewed from the fish tape in the middle of the conduit, so I ended up with an empty conduit and no pull string :banghead:. The conduit run is only about 30', but it has a few bends that I can't push through, so I had to vacuum a new pull string through it, which required me schlepping the shop vac and 3 extension cords down to the trail. But at least it worked!!
Are you feeding the Tendelux 10W IR illuminator off of the IP camera power plug? The 5.5mm x 2.1mm connector?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a small update. My install of the Tendelux illuminators consisted of their 30' 12 volt extension cables. One for each unit. I noticed one of my illuminators was turning off every couple minutes then back on after several seconds. The other illuminator was staying on just fine. I swapped power cables between the two units and the other illuminator started doing the same thing. So I knew the one power cable or power supply was suspect. I ended up connecting a different 12 volt power supply with a higher amperage rating and the illuminator stays on just fine now. I think the included power supplies might be borderline for what they are intended to power.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a small update. My install of the Tendelux illuminators consisted of their 30' 12 volt extension cables. One for each unit. I noticed one of my illuminators was turning off every couple minutes then back on after several seconds. The other illuminator was staying on just fine. I swapped power cables between the two units and the other illuminator started doing the same thing. So I knew the one power cable or power supply was suspect. I ended up connecting a different 12 volt power supply with a higher amperage rating and the illuminator stays on just fine now. I think the included power supplies might be borderline for what they are intended to power.
Thank you for the update. I plan on doing that if I do buy one. A 30' 12 volt extension cable would get me close to a 120VAC outlet.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score