Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to trigger a z-wave switch module from Blue Iris 5 using IPC-T5442TM-AS ?
Multiple ways, see the Home Automation subject area.
Typically, its best to enter the cams IP, user name and pw into BI, then click on the find/inspect button. Then go with the info it populates.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dont see this model (IPC-T5442TM-AS) when adding new camera in blue iris 5, so i have added it as generic onvif, am i missing something?
I've always let Blue Iris configure my cameras (per @looney2ns' suggestion above) and it almost always configures my Dahuas with a make of "Generic/ONVIF". I have not problems with that.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy 2 more cams and wondering if you think it's worth getting another one of these 5442s even though there are some IVS issues with the latest firmware and just hope they fix it soon or should I fall back on to the 5231 VF turrets, or even a 3.6mm fixed both would work for me. I did see the review for the 2231 which is pretty intriguing as well, and I don't really need all the AI options so I could save some cash, if there isn't a huge reason to go with one of the others.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Has any experienced an issue with this camera being blurry? Doesn't seem sharp, everything looks too soft. I removed the film and cleaned the front very thoroughly. Although I've tightened the set screw, I also noticed that the camera itself still moves about its base. Any idea? :confused:

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the -LED variant and mine also can be moved even when fully fastened down. I am thinking to put a piece of self-fusing silicone tape between the camera's "eyeball" and "eyelid" parts when I can be bothered to get up there and re-aim it.

Mine also has a slightly soft focus and a sort of double-exposure look to stuff, which I mentioned in this thread:

This is a second reason I am holding off getting any more of the fixed-lens variants. I'd pay $50 extra to get a varifocal (and focusable) turret. They obviously can do it, they just need to use the housing size from the 5231. I don't like the idea of a bullet where it's within arm's reach and offers easy grip and leverage to damage a $200 camera. C'mon Dahua, varifocal turret please :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @mech, do you think this may be a result of a defective design or bad batch? Also, I was able to fix the blurriness. For some reason, after playing with the exposure the other day, the sharpness was set at "zero" LOL After updating that value to 50, everything looks darn great :D

I have the -LED variant and mine also can be moved even when fully fastened down. I am thinking to put a piece of self-fusing silicone tape between the camera's "eyeball" and "eyelid" parts when I can be bothered to get up there and re-aim it.

Mine also has a slightly soft focus and a sort of double-exposure look to stuff, which I mentioned in this thread:

This is a second reason I am holding off getting any more of the fixed-lens variants. I'd pay $50 extra to get a varifocal (and focusable) turret. They obviously can do it, they just need to use the housing size from the 5231. I don't like the idea of a bullet where it's within arm's reach and offers easy grip and leverage to damage a $200 camera. C'mon Dahua, varifocal turret please :)

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @mech, do you think this may be a result of a defective design or bad batch? Also, I was able to fix the blurriness. For some reason, after playing with the exposure the other day, the sharpness was set at "zero" LOL After updating that value to 50, everything looks darn great :D
I'll defer judgement until I open up the camera and try to manually improve the focus. The other thing you might want to check, is to make sure your camera didn't forget your bitrate setting. Mine mysteriously reverted to about 3kbit/sec once. I discovered this when I went out there with a broom to clear away a spiderweb that was triggering motion detection. When I reviewed the video shortly afterwards, I noticed blocky artifacts in the wake of moving objects.

For entertainment, here is a recent day video from mine (again, this is the IR-blind "full color" -LED variant, not the IR-capable model reviewed here).

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Excuse my language, but I'm damn impressed by the nightime quality of this camera. This thing outperforms the 2mp Starlight in every way possible, nightime looks like day

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has any experienced an issue with this camera being blurry? Doesn't seem sharp, everything looks too soft. I removed the film and cleaned the front very thoroughly. Although I've tightened the set screw, I also noticed that the camera itself still moves about its base. Any idea? :confused:
Mine can be moved around with some effort as well when tightened down.

This is my first real cam and I do like the quality of the video, but I am hesitant to order more. I need 2 more cams right now and kinda thinking about going with the 5231s, especially since one could be turned due to location and also I’d like at least one to be VF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy is saying that others have not reported this issue. Is there something perhaps we're doing wrong that is not allowing the ball part to stay in place? I never had this issue before :confused: @EMPIRETECANDY

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy is saying that others have not reported this issue. Is there something perhaps we're doing wrong that is not allowing the ball part to stay in place? I never had this issue before :confused: @EMPIRETECANDY
Yeah it would be nice to find out if we have broken ones soon, like before I get mine hung in a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I installed mine, it locked into place securely. I have not noticed any blurry video yet. I posted a video of some deer at night this morning.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently installed an IPC-HDW5831R-ZE turret, which was replacing an old cheap Chinese plastic base turret (4431C-A) and I noticed that initially I did not have the ring snapped onto the base completely. It seemed to be on, but it wasn't and the "eyeball" part moved around freely...I pressed it down firmly and it snapped into place further and then the "eyeball" was completely locked into place. It didn't really look like anything was wrong, it was only when I pressed on it firmly did I feel it snap in all the way. Maybe that's all it is?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm very sure it snapped in all the way. If it wasn't snapped in all the way, there would have been a gap between the shell and the base. There is something definitely odd with these 4mp Starlight turret design

I recently installed an IPC-HDW5831R-ZE turret, which was replacing an old cheap Chinese plastic base turret (4431C-A) and I noticed that initially I did not have the ring snapped onto the base completely. It seemed to be on, but it wasn't and the "eyeball" part moved around freely...I pressed it down firmly and it snapped into place further and then the "eyeball" was completely locked into place. It didn't really look like anything was wrong, it was only when I pressed on it firmly did I feel it snap in all the way. Maybe that's all it is?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for word from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY It seems like he is hearing this issue for the first time, not sure what the solution will be

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone got a link to the latest firmware for this please? Mine's is still on 2.800.0000000.0.R which is dated 21st May,

Many thanks folks

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for word from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY It seems like he is hearing this issue for the first time, not sure what the solution will be
I take it still nothing from him? I wonder if I should return mine back to amazon as defective. I'd rather not wait around for an answer only to fine it's too late to return and it's mounted.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the concern of this problem has largely ignored. I ordered one from Amazon (Batch date 06/2019) and it has the same issue. I'm surprised that no one else has brought this up. I don't think a replacement set screw will help in this matter. The screw is tight enough; literally stripping the included wrench and the eyeball is still loose. You can add a dab of silicone paste where the opening is between the shell and the eyeball itself; that would prevent the eyeball from moving around, but bear in mind it still doesn't firmly stay in place.

This camera doesn't look like it was ready for prime time, given the inconsistent the firmware hasn't been fully developed prior to going on the market
I take it still nothing from him? I wonder if I should return mine back to amazon as defective. I'd rather not wait around for an answer only to fine it's too late to return and it's mounted.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the concern of this problem has largely ignored. I ordered one from Amazon (Batch date 06/2019) and it has the same issue. I'm surprised that no one else has brought this up. I don't think a replacement set screw will help in this matter. The screw is tight enough; literally stripping the included wrench and the eyeball is still loose. You can add a dab of silicone paste where the opening is between the shell and the eyeball itself; that would prevent the eyeball from moving around, but bear in mind it still doesn't firmly stay in place.
Yeah, that could work, but why should be have to rig something to keep in place if it's supposed to.

This camera doesn't look like it was ready for prime time, given the inconsistent the firmware hasn't been fully developed prior to going on the market
I agree and it's a shame as it's a nice camera otherwise. I think at this point I'll send it back as defective and get a 5231 and call it a day.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried using the set screw from a 2231 turret on the 5442, and same problem, ball wouldn't stay in place. Could maybe try wedging a piece of cardboard in there to see how that works.

The quality looks like its going downhill. The 2231 turret I received today had a couple of bubbled spots on the white paint. Not that its a big deal, but you'd expect quality control at this price point. The models are coming out like pancakes. lol

Let's hope this is not a sign like what other companies do; where at first they make great products; but then abuse their reputation. Its good that Andy is beginning to stock Hikvision cameras too, but I think the big brands are really loosing it, even running out of ideas. Perhaps its time to start up a new CCTV company.

Yeah, that could work, but why should be have to rig something to keep in place if it's supposed to.

I agree and it's a shame as it's a nice camera otherwise. I think at this point I'll send it back as defective and get a 5231 and call it a day.