Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The quality looks like its going downhill. The 2231 turret I received today had a couple of bubbled spots on the white paint. Not that its a big deal, but you'd expect quality control at this point. The models are coming out like pancakes. lol

Let's hope this is not a sign like what other companies do; where at first they make great products; but then abuse their reputation.
Oh man, I hope they don't turn into the Denny's of security cams right when I start to enter the rabbit hole. Anything else in similar price range worth trying?

I have 2 - 5231s showing up today so I'll see if they have similar issues to this one and have to decide what to do.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt you will have issues with looseness on the 5231, but definitely keep an eye on the paint quality

Oh man, I hope they don't turn into the Denny's of security cams right when I start to enter the rabbit hole. Anything else in similar price range worth trying?

I have 2 - 5231s showing up today so I'll see if they have similar issues to this one and have to decide what to do.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I mean look at how rough the edges are on this 5442IMG-0344.JPG

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried wedging a piece of cardboard the eyeball still moves when the set screw is tightened. Clearly this is not machined to proper specification also feel thin little like cheap pot metal. Its obviously not that fragile, but it doesn't seem as robust as older models. Ever since they underwent the design change on the front of these cameras, it doesn't seem to make the outcome satisfying. @immageek not what I'd expect, this is absolutely disappointing.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried wedging a piece of cardboard the eyeball still moves when the set screw is tightened. Clearly this is not machined to proper specification also feel thin little like cheap pot metal. Its obviously not that fragile, but it doesn't seem as robust as older models. Ever since they underwent the design change on the front of these cameras, it doesn't seem to make the outcome satisfying. @immageek not what I'd expect, this is absolutely disappointing.
As a new user, that's not a good thing to hear. Hopefully they catch it and fix the issues.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do message Andy as well, seems like he is hearing this for the first time

As a new user, that's not a good thing to hear. Hopefully they catch it and fix the issues.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on the third one and they all are doing the same thing. It must be batch specific then. What is the date code stated on the sticker of the brown box? Do you have a picture of it?

I bought a couple direct from Andy and mine are not like that. I'm getting ready to order several more.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on the third one and they all are doing the same thing. It must be batch specific then. What is the date code stated on the sticker of the brown box? Do you have a picture of it?
The date code on mine is 2019-05.

And I'll message him and see what he says.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Its not be consistently machined right

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I wrenched mine down super tight and it got better but still could be moved. Something ain't right.
Same here, they should send everyone free replacement shells, never had this issue prior

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same here, they should send everyone free replacement shells, never had this issue prior
Yeah, pretty crazy.

Hey, would you happen to know the size of the set screw so that I can get a screwdriver type tool instead of using that stupid little L tool to tighten them?

Plunk

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the cameras and boxes are in a remote location far from me. It will be 2-4 weeks before I am in their physical location again.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty crazy.

Hey, would you happen to know the size of the set screw so that I can get a screwdriver type tool instead of using that stupid little L tool to tighten them?
Its either T10 or T8, you can get the bit and add them to the end of a bit holder

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've not seen the fit or paint issues on my sample. The 5442 does have compression artifacts at 4096 or below this has been reported to Andy. That could make the picture look soft.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the date code on yours?

I've not seen the fit or paint issues on my sample. The 5442 does have compression artifacts at 4096 or below this has been reported to Andy. That could make the picture look soft.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Metric 5mm x 0.8mm/thread and note that the tip is pointed for a functional reason. If yours wants to strip, make sure to lubricate the threads so you're not just fighting friction in the threads. Myself, I lubed my set screws with Boiled Linseed Oil, an old favorite of bicycle mechanics for spoke threads. It gels to a gummy residue that won't wash out and keeps dust/dirt out of the threads.

On the topic of being able to move the eyeball with enough force, I just plan to put a piece of this stuff between the eyeball and the shell sometime: Amazon.com: Self-Fusing Silicone Rubber Sealing Tape Weatherproof Bonding Tape for Electrical Cables Hose Piping Leakage Emergency Repairs 25mm3 Meters/Roll: Home Improvement I have some already; it's great for waterproofing connectors.

In my view, cams are function-first equipment that are going to get rained on, snowed on, covered with dust and spiderwebs, and maybe attacked by the neighborhood felons, so I would not be fretting about cosmetic issues and raising Andy's prices by sending stuff back for small stuff. If anyone gets close enough to your camera to see those issues, go out there and punch them! :)

Still waiting for Dahua to make us a varifocal 5442 turret in the next-size-up body. Who else is chomping at the bit to upgrade to 4MP Starlight, but doesn't want to give up varifocal or switch to bullets?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.