Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, a newer unit than ours. I wonder if there was some early production issues that slipped through the cracks and we got them and since yours is newer it doesn't have the loose eyeball issue like ours do.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, a newer unit than ours. I wonder if there was some early production issues that slipped through the cracks and we got them and since yours is newer it doesn't have the loose eyeball issue like ours do.
Loose ball...are there rubber bumpers on the mount legs the ball rests on.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Loose ball...are there rubber bumpers on the mount legs the ball rests on.
Yes, very thin ones compared to whats on the 5231s i have and I think that is the issue, they're not thick enough or tall enough.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The one I received from Andy is also 07/2019 (same as @looney2ns )

@immageek I have to agree, the rubber bumpers are not thick enough. Something tells there was a slight variation on the production line @EMPIRETECANDY

Metric 5mm x 0.8mm/thread and note that the tip is pointed for a functional reason. If yours wants to strip, make sure to lubricate the threads so you're not just fighting friction in the threads. Myself, I lubed my set screws with Boiled Linseed Oil, an old favorite of bicycle mechanics for spoke threads. It gels to a gummy residue that won't wash out and keeps dust/dirt out of the threads.

On the topic of being able to move the eyeball with enough force, I just plan to put a piece of this stuff between the eyeball and the shell sometime: Amazon.com: Self-Fusing Silicone Rubber Sealing Tape Weatherproof Bonding Tape for Electrical Cables Hose Piping Leakage Emergency Repairs 25mm3 Meters/Roll: Home Improvement I have some already; it's great for waterproofing connectors.

In my view, cams are function-first equipment that are going to get rained on, snowed on, covered with dust and spiderwebs, and maybe attacked by the neighborhood felons, so I would not be fretting about cosmetic issues and raising Andy's prices by sending stuff back for small stuff. If anyone gets close enough to your camera to see those issues, go out there and punch them! :)

Still waiting for Dahua to make us a varifocal 5442 turret in the next-size-up body. Who else is chomping at the bit to upgrade to 4MP Starlight, but doesn't want to give up varifocal or switch to bullets?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two from Andy dated 7/19: mine can also move when the screw is tight. The 5231s I have don’t move when tightened with the same amount of force for what it’s worth.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two from Andy dated 7/19: mine can also move when the screw is tight. The 5231s I have don’t move when tightened with the same amount of force for what it’s worth.
Interesting. Do you have yours mounted outside and all that and they still move? I’m just concerned that they’ll get moved. Sure it would take a stick or pole, but hey anything would be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY
Unfortunately, this is something which Dahua needs to look into. Andy only sells cameras; the forum does a great job sharing feedback, if he can send this feedback to Dahua then that would be great; the problem needs to be acknowledged and customers should not be blamed. There should be some level of accountability

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still waiting for Dahua to make us a varifocal 5442 turret in the next-size-up body. Who else is chomping at the bit to upgrade to 4MP Starlight, but doesn't want to give up varifocal or switch to bullets?
*raises hand*

I got impatient after holding out for the 4MP replacement for the HDW5231R-ZE and had Andy ship me a couple of the fixed lens 5442s, a B5442E-ZE, and even some 1831s. While they all have their good points, I’ve come to realize that I’m only trying alternatives to see what I can live with, even when I know it’s the missing model turret you alluded to that I actually want for most circumstances.

The B5442E-ZE is large and very obvious with its two tone color scheme (yes there’s paint and/or plastidip) and large silhouette. Those features can be good to help it get noticed and act as a potential deterrent in some cases - but I can’t use it in places that call for a subtle solution. The others require accepting “close enough” on the lens selection, and/or changing mounting locations to properly cover certain spots. The old standby 5231 is still great but sometimes its nice to have a few more pixels to work with.

I find it frustrating that Dahua has not offered a varifocal turret in the 5442 lineup...it would tick all the boxes for many people.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. Do you have yours mounted outside and all that and they still move? I’m just concerned that they’ll get moved. Sure it would take a stick or pole, but hey anything would be possible.
Mine are mounted outside, yes. One on a junction box and one mounted directly to a soffit.

It’s possible to change the camera’s view by hand without loosening the locking screw, but I’ve not had a reason to try with sticks or poles, plus there’s not a lot of purchase or leverage on the eyeball cameras.

I only noticed that they still moved while making an adjustment not long after installation - without giving it any thought, I moved one and only afterwards realized that the locking screw was already tight when I went to secure it after my adjustments. I then checked the other and found that it also moves when “locked.”

These 5442 cameras have not been mounted for long but neither has moved on their own or anything like that. I’m not really worried about someone moving these particular cameras on me as a prank or for nefarious reasons because one, I’m just trying them out (they’re not in critical locations) and two, they’re local to me and thus easy to fix if moved. I might feel differently if I had them installed someplace where my reputation was at stake because I recommended them or if it were my ongoing responsibility to maintain their installation at a remote location (I.e., at a client’s property an hour away).

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You clients will likely yell at you for not tightening these down properly. I tried using the base and shell from a 2mp Starlight I had laying around on this 4mp model, and the the ball still moves around; dimensions are exactly the same, you can use a PFA139 mount with this camera even though is not disclosed in the Dahua document. I came to realize that the shell and base are fine, I can see the same thickness of the rubber feet on both models. Its the body of the camera which needs to be addressed. The recommendation I have for anyone experiencing is this is to put larger rubber feet so that it can support the camera properly. There is no need to initiate any return on this basis. Its not likely that wind gusts in excess of 60mph is going to move this thing. This model outperforms the 2mp by a long shot.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is by no means military-grade metal. See how easy it is to deform the metal by just the set screw itself; its cheap metal but gets the job done ;) This is what keeps the prices "affordable" :lol: :p pun intended IMG-0358.JPG

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not everything will be perfect especially when it comes to the popular models. Even when it comes to mounting a camera, DIY'ers sometimes need to custom-make mounts. Its not something new. Everyday there will be some challenges that we must overcome. Also, there are cameras that cost 2x-3x times more than Dahua's that will obviously be of better build quality, but the picture quality will never be better than Dahua / Hikvision (I know this sounds very subjective) and sometimes you get what you pay for. Its still metal, but to ship something back that's more than 7000 miles away is simply logistically not feasible. Now if something was electronically defective in the cameras, then its obviously at the seller's discretion to do the moral thing and either replace it or repair it.

Or use a different camera that doesn’t require DIY fixes to meet expectations.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that Dahua has not offered a varifocal turret in the 5442 lineup...it would tick all the boxes for many people.
I haven’t seen a varifocal turret with a 1/1.8” sensor from Hikvision either, so wonder if there’s more to the story with that sensor.

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven’t seen a varifocal turret with a 1/1.8” sensor from Hikvision either, so wonder if there’s more to the story with that sensor.
Could it be that with the larger sensor size, the optics don't fit inside the turret as easily? That being said, I picked up one of each of the HikVision turrets (8MP + 4MP ColorVu) Andy has listed and they are significantly larger than the Dahua 4MP turrets. Or maybe they sell way more of the fixed focal length models anyway since they're cheaper...

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't mind and welcome a larger turret :p @EMPIRETECANDY

Could it be that with the larger sensor size, the optics don't fit inside the turret as easily? That being said, I picked up one of each of the HikVision turrets (8MP + 4MP ColorVu) Andy has listed and they are significantly larger than the Dahua 4MP turrets. Or maybe they sell way more of the fixed focal length models anyway since they're cheaper...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@Arjun when the grub screw is closed is there much of a gap between the base plate and cam cover? From your pictures it looks like the grub screw is biting into the wrong place and I’d expect it to make a mark on the flat surface rather that the sloping edge - if you know what I mean