Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
David, firstly I should have said that POE device you found was a nice find and may be useful in some situations. I definately think up a ladder a laptop could be a hindrance though. As for advice, my experience is limited and for the highly technical stuff, I suggest other members are in a better place to advise especially Southern, Looney and Fenderman.
Actually I like an honest response. Thanks for your input...

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reaction score
I see lots of the HDW5442-TM-AS cameras for quite a bit cheaper on Aliexpress. Are these different than the camera reviewed here? Example:
So the cam is listed as $112.79 (which is a 15% discount from their regular price of $132.70) plus $9.43 shipping for a total of $122.22 with arrival on 7/25, which is over a month away. If you want it in 10 days it is $32 shipping. I paid $154 and shipping was free (diff = $32) from @EMPIRETECANDY and it was delivered in a week. I know with Andy I will get a cam that has English firmware and is upgradable. Not sure about the one from Jimbu Security. Andy will stand behind his cams and make things right if something goes wrong, though in two years I have not had to test that. Will Jimbu Security?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the cam is listed as $112.79 (which is a 15% discount from their regular price of $132.70) plus $9.43 shipping for a total of $122.22 with arrival on 7/25, which is over a month away. If you want it in 10 days it is $32 shipping. I paid $154 and shipping was free (diff = $32) from @EMPIRETECANDY and it was delivered in a week. I know with Andy I will get a cam that has English firmware and is upgradable. Not sure about the one from Jimbu Security. Andy will stand behind his cams and make things right if something goes wrong, though in two years I have not had to test that. Will Jimbu Security?
Mine too, actually less than a week here. I think the hold up was in customs or I would of got it sooner. DHL delivery, very satisfied, thanks Andy...Hope to fire mine up this next week. Last week the wife was on her staycation so I got nothing for myself done :) It was Yes Dear all week, lol.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm excited for this test! The Hik has a bigger f1.0 aperture (compared the 5442's f1.6), so it looks like the Hik should have an advantage... I'm curious to see how that plays out in a "same location" test.
Started a comparison of the 4mm version of the Hikvision 2347 vs the Dahua 5442 3.6mm for those interested. Maybe let me know if I should change the settings of the Dahua accordingly (first time Dahua user, not that I'm an experienced ColorVu user though...lol).

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Started a comparison of the 4mm version of the Hikvision 2347 vs the Dahua 5442 3.6mm for those interested. Maybe let me know if I should change the settings of the Dahua accordingly (first time Dahua user, not that I'm an experienced ColorVu user though...lol).

Thank You...I will follow your Thread...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I see lots of the HDW5442-TM-AS cameras for quite a bit cheaper on Aliexpress.
I bought a couple of cameras from Jimbu a few years ago and it worked out fine. There was a mixup with one of the DHL tracking numbers that resulted in a bunch of back and forth emails, and they were very responsive. So from my one experience I give a positive report for Jimbu. Having said that, Andy has worked to build up such a good reputation that I would always recommend him as the go-to seller for anything he's able to supply. To answer the exact question if Jimbu's camera is the same one that is reviewed here, I suspect it is, but of course have no way to be 100% positive.

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a couple of cameras from Jimbu a few years ago and it worked out fine. There was a mixup with one of the DHL tracking numbers that resulted in a bunch of back and forth emails, and they were very responsive. So from my one experience I give a positive report for Jimbu. Having said that, Andy has worked to build up such a good reputation that I would always recommend him as the go-to seller for anything he's able to supply. To answer the exact question if Jimbu's camera is the same one that is reviewed here, I suspect it is, but of course have no way to be 100% positive.
So I ordered 5 cams from someone other than Andy. Price difference meant I literally got a free camera. Free DHL shipping was included after I negotiated for it. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Hope I don't get banned from the forum here lol

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
@ArmoredDragon I don't think there is a 12x bullet varifocal in the 5442 yet. I have the Z4E version (4X) I got from Andy and he said that is longest focal length currently (32mm).

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you guys get this one or the version with LEDs?
It's the same image sensor as the one with IR. If you mount either model in a location that gets enough ambient light at night, both models will stay in color without using their built-in IR/LED lights. If there isn't enough ambient light at night, the LED model flips on those two bright-ass LED lights and stays in color mode, but IMO now the camera looks like an "always on" night-time floodlight. The IR model switches to B/W mode and flips the IR lights on (which you can't see). I think in most situations, the IR model makes more sense.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's the same image sensor as the one with IR. If you mount either model in a location that gets enough ambient light at night, both models will stay in color without using their built-in IR/LED lights. If there isn't enough ambient light at night, the LED model flips on those two bright-ass LED lights and stays in color mode, but IMO now the camera looks like an "always on" night-time floodlight. The IR model switches to B/W mode and flips the IR lights on (which you can't see). I think in most situations, the IR model makes more sense.
Which do you think would attract more bugs. The leds or IR ?

Reaction score
Which do you think would attract more bugs. The leds or IR ?
Certain insects are attracted to IR, especially spiders, or so I am told here in this forum. I personally have never researched this. But I will say that the only cam I have using IR is in my back yard and it is the only cam that has bugs gathering around it. But, I do not have any cams with LED lights on them, so maybe that would attract bugs also.

There are bugs that are attracted to white light, such as moths, June Bugs and the like. I see them pounding into my couch lights at night. But that does not impact my cams as the lights are not right next to my cams.

Asking what you should get, LED version or not, is not going to help you. Only you know your own specific situation, how much light you have available, location of the cam, etc. Ultimately it is you that has to decide. Asking folks that have never been to your house, that live 1000's of miles away, to make your decision for you is not the best thing to do.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Certain insects are attracted to IR, especially spiders, or so I am told here in this forum. I personally have never researched this. But I will say that the only cam I have using IR is in my back yard and it is the only cam that has bugs gathering around it. But, I do not have any cams with LED lights on them, so maybe that would attract bugs also.

There are bugs that are attracted to white light, such as moths, June Bugs and the like. I see them pounding into my couch lights at night. But that does not impact my cams as the lights are not right next to my cams.

Asking what you should get, LED version or not, is not going to help you. Only you know your own specific situation, how much light you have available, location of the cam, etc. Ultimately it is you that has to decide. Asking folks that have never been to your house, that live 1000's of miles away, to make your decision for you is not the best thing to do.
Yeah having lights seperate would definitely make sense to keep bugs away from the cam.

Also I find spiders are very attracted to my cheapo wyze Cam IR lights (garbage cam, could not ID when car was broken into)