Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm using Pale Moon and that might be why no plugin option has popped up, I'll try that this weekend.

Maybe part of my issue is that I don't have any of the filter options checked for human or cars, I kinda thought if they were checked it would filter them out.

Good point, I could always do that again seeing as the guidance I've received here, I now know how to(ok kinda) get this going again.
If you installed Pale Moon 32Bit version, not the 64bit v it "should" request the plugin from the camera.
You can look at windows "All programs" from the start menu, and see if you have an entry named WebPlugin.
If you have one or multiple entries of Webplugin, click on each, then choose un-install.
Be sure your browsers are closed first, then the next time you go to the camera with Pale Moon 32bit, it should request you install the plug-in again.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm using Pale Moon and that might be why no plugin option has popped up, I'll try that this weekend.

Maybe part of my issue is that I don't have any of the filter options checked for human or cars, I kinda thought if they were checked it would filter them out.

Good point, I could always do that again seeing as the guidance I've received here, I now know how to(ok kinda) get this going again.
No, if they are checked, it filters everything else out ...except... cars and people. Gets rid of false alarms from everything else.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you installed Pale Moon 32Bit version, not the 64bit v it "should" request the plugin from the camera.
You can look at windows "All programs" from the start menu, and see if you have an entry named WebPlugin.
If you have one or multiple entries of Webplugin, click on each, then choose un-install.
Be sure your browsers are closed first, then the next time you go to the camera with Pale Moon 32bit, it should request you install the plug-in again.
That is familiar and I'm pretty sure I installed it, but apparently it didn't work for me.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An alternative is to install Chrome. Then install the extension IETAB into chrome.
I can try that. Does the plugin automatically start or do you have to manually enable it somehow? I looked for plugins and didn't see anything last night.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can try that. Does the plugin automatically start or do you have to manually enable it somehow? I looked for plugins and didn't see anything last night.
There should be a link appear in the space the video use's, telling you to download the plugin when you first open the cameras page.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There should be a link appear in the space the video use's, telling you to download the plugin when you first open the cameras page.
ohh.. ok, that. Yeah that was there, clicked the link and downloaded that file and ran it. I have a video in that space, I can draw a tripwire and all that. But I just don't have that little orange box your pic has.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you see any of these icons at the bottom of your browser window?
If not, I would un-install the plugin as I outlined before. Then install Chrome and the IEtab extension.
The icon I'm show as orange, does not turn orange until you click on it.
1571433430824.png

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you see any of these icons at the bottom of your browser window?
If not, I would un-install the plugin as I outlined before. Then install Chrome and the IEtab extension.
The icon I'm show as orange, does not turn orange until you click on it.
View attachment 49046
Nope, zero icons. I will remove chrome and the web plugin and try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will bring some cheap 4mp cams with audio from dahua,a special model for us, so can get good price, i think will kick all IPC-HDW4433C-A out easily. Fixed lens and motorized lens.
Hey @EMPIRETECANDY any word when you'll be getting these special models? Will they have 1/1.8" sensors?

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One more vote for a varifocal version in a turret case. That would be a heckofa camera!
^ This. I'd sure pay the extra for the VF turret. I don't like the idea of VF bullets in locations where someone could get a grip on it and use its own size as leverage to try to damage it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Another vote for VF turret here, hoping Andy can talk to the engineers to tell them they are missing a trick

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ This. I'd sure pay the extra for the VF turret. I don't like the idea of VF bullets in locations where someone could get a grip on it and use its own size as leverage to try to damage it.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
We want the new 1/1.8" 4MP sensor and with a varifocal lens, but in a turret body. That would be the best new technology in a non-spiderweb-plagued case. If they come out with that, I need about a half a dozen of them.

I already have a few of the 2231s. They're pretty good, but I need to replace some other cameras, and I'd like to get the new larger sensors. But I have come to despise bullets. I wipe spiderwebs off of my bullets twice per day and still have floating webs creating motion alerts endlessly.

I have yet to wipe any of the 2231s even once. That style case is much better for this area. To house the larger lens that will be required to serve the larger sensor, the case will need to be deeper, of course. And maybe this means a turret will be large.

And it may not be the shape of the main part of the camera body at issue for me. It's the face of the camera.

Maybe we need a bullet style case, but without the stupid overhanging "shade" that acts as a spider playground. Give it a flat face with the IR LEDs in the same plane as the lens cover just like what we see on the turrets.

I'm not worried about vandal proofing as much as I am about constant spiderweb hassle. Although I can see how the turrets may be more vandal proof by not offering such a good handle and leverage for snapping them off.

Maybe a turret the size of a soccer ball IS the thing! ;)

Or build a turret without the shade, and provide no internal IR LEDs. Instead, the camera should have a sealed cable that comes out, maybe five feet long, with a separate IR illuminator on the end. That illuminator is controlled by the Smart IR or "auto" logic in the camera. So you get the benefits of auto IR illumination, but without the many drawbacks of having the illuminator in the same case as the camera, ridiculously close to the lens.

I'd pay extra for that configuration, for sure! The extra cost, and bit of extra time to mount two items would be paid off by the much better performance and lack of endless labor to clean a normal bullet cam, and the lack of endless false motion alerts from flying bugs, snow, rain, etc.

Having the light source(s) away from your camera is basic photography lighting 101. And having auto control of the remote light sources from the camera is old school technology in the photography world. Most DSLRs have built-in IR or radio transmitters to ccontrol off-camera flash units.

And aftermarket flash control transmitters (actually, they have two-way communications) and aftermarket flash units are the norm. The two way communication allows auto set-up of the systems, making it easy for a photographer to set up remote flash guns on stands, or even carried by their assistants for shooting weddings and the like while getting diffuse, indirect lighting but having the intensities of the various flashes controlled by the camera itself as the camera's exposure sensors actually test, analyze, and then set the actual brightnesses of the remote flash units, on the fly, with every shot. The flashes are commanded to emit pre-flash bursts that the camera analyzes just before the actual exposure is taken, and then commanded to emit the desired flash intensity during the actual shot. That's why you see a double flash from modern camera flashes these days, and also why your dog or cat has its eyes closed in every shot! They blink from the pre-flash, and their eyes are closed in the actual shot!

Anyhow, this is not new technology. It's not too much to ask for an off-camera illuminator to come with a good security camera. This would be so simple to build by comparison to the technology offered in and for most DSLRs sold in the last 20 years.

Security cam designers need to talk to photographers. Useful things that have been standard practice in photography for many years haven't made it into the security camera designs yet, for some reason.

I want varifocal because the fixed lens options are never ideal. I want to be able to adjust an array of cameras to achieve a small overlap in coverage, but get as much "reach" as possible.

With fixed lenses, you either have too much wasted view from excessive overlap, or you have gaps in coverage. Varifocal allows the zooms to be adjusted to get the Goldilocks settings.

Hey. a guy can dream, right?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We want the new 1/1.8" 4MP sensor and with a varifocal lens, but in a turret body. That would be the best new technology in a non-spiderweb-plagued case. If they come out with that, I need about a half a dozen of them.

I already have a few of the 2231s. They're pretty good, but I need to replace some other cameras, and I'd like to get the new larger sensors. But I have come to despise bullets. I wipe spiderwebs off of my bullets twice per day and still have floating webs creating motion alerts endlessly.

I have yet to wipe any of the 2231s even once. That style case is much better for this area. To house the larger lens that will be required to serve the larger sensor, the case will need to be deeper, of course. And maybe this means a turret will be large.

And it may not be the shape of the main part of the camera body at issue for me. It's the face of the camera.

Maybe we need a bullet style case, but without the stupid overhanging "shade" that acts as a spider playground. Give it a flat face with the IR LEDs in the same plane as the lens cover just like what we see on the turrets.

I'm not worried about vandal proofing as much as I am about constant spiderweb hassle. Although I can see how the turrets may be more vandal proof by not offering such a good handle and leverage for snapping them off.

Maybe a turret the size of a soccer ball IS the thing! ;)

Or build a turret without the shade, and provide no internal IR LEDs. Instead, the camera should have a sealed cable that comes out, maybe five feet long, with a separate IR illuminator on the end. That illuminator is controlled by the Smart IR or "auto" logic in the camera. So you get the benefits of auto IR illumination, but without the many drawbacks of having the illuminator in the same case as the camera, ridiculously close to the lens.

I'd pay extra for that configuration, for sure! The extra cost, and bit of extra time to mount two items would be paid off by the much better performance and lack of endless labor to clean a normal bullet cam, and the lack of endless false motion alerts from flying bugs, snow, rain, etc.

Having the light source(s) away from your camera is basic photography lighting 101. And having auto control of the remote light sources from the camera is old school technology in the photography world. Most DSLRs have built-in IR or radio transmitters to ccontrol off-camera flash units.

And aftermarket flash control transmitters (actually, they have two-way communications) and aftermarket flash units are the norm. The two way communication allows auto set-up of the systems, making it easy for a photographer to set up remote flash guns on stands, or even carried by their assistants for shooting weddings and the like while getting diffuse, indirect lighting but having the intensities of the various flashes controlled by the camera itself as the camera's exposure sensors actually test, analyze, and then set the actual brightnesses of the remote flash units, on the fly, with every shot. The flashes are commanded to emit pre-flash bursts that the camera analyzes just before the actual exposure is taken, and then commanded to emit the desired flash intensity during the actual shot. That's why you see a double flash from modern camera flashes these days, and also why your dog or cat has its eyes closed in every shot! They blink from the pre-flash, and their eyes are closed in the actual shot!

Anyhow, this is not new technology. It's not too much to ask for an off-camera illuminator to come with a good security camera. This would be so simple to build by comparison to the technology offered in and for most DSLRs sold in the last 20 years.

Security cam designers need to talk to photographers. Useful things that have been standard practice in photography for many years haven't made it into the security camera designs yet, for some reason.

I want varifocal because the fixed lens options are never ideal. I want to be able to adjust an array of cameras to achieve a small overlap in coverage, but get as much "reach" as possible.

With fixed lenses, you either have too much wasted view from excessive overlap, or you have gaps in coverage. Varifocal allows the zooms to be adjusted to get the Goldilocks settings.

Hey. a guy can dream, right?
And keep the price down so the average joe-smo isn't spending DSLR prices on each security cam. ;)
You sure are dreaming. :)
Spiders and the lens shade, one word: Dremel.
The new cam AI features a few of us are testing, is a huge leap forward in stopping false triggers.
As soon as Dahua gets their act together on the firmware, they are going to be awesome.

Last edited:

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You sure are dreaming. :)
Spiders and the lens shade, one word: Dremel.
The new cam AI features a few of us are testing, is a huge leap forward in stopping false triggers.
As soon as Dahua gets their act together on the firmware, they are going to be awesome.
Great points! I’m try to decide if I want another one of these or go with a 5321 VF.

BTW, IE shows those buttons for me now! Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk