Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Set number one back to factory defaults, then try audio again.

I would stop using RDP, until you get the bugs worked out.
I have TeamViewer but prefer RDP. Is there a know issue with RDP?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have TeamViewer but prefer RDP. Is there a know issue with RDP?
Not that I’m aware of, I’ve used RDP to setup my BI PC and never encountered any issues. Like you, albeit a different model, I have 6 5231-ze cams and 1 has no audio, the others are all fine. Haven’t had time to investigate it as I’ve been working away but need to look into this, hopefully it’s something simple like an unplugged cable.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If all else fails, try loading the most recent firmware. Then don't forget, like Looney suggested, you do have to disable noise filter for audio to work.

What exact model #
IPC-T5442TM-AS
System Version V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02
WEB Version V3.2.1.783129

ONVIF Version 18.06(V2.4.5.698080)

In the cameras GUI disable the noise filter.
Done!...no difference

Lemme pull another one of these out of the box and see if it behaves the same way.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If all else fails, try loading the most recent firmware. Then don't forget, like Looney suggested, you do have to disable noise filter for audio to work.
As I recall, the latest firmware discussed on the forum is V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02.

Looks like #1 camera as reported above has real issues. I did a reset on the camera and audio worked...barely (regardless of mic volume or mic gain settings). Kind of sounds like a damaged tweeter. Hindsight tells me that it was probably "barely" working all along. You have to hold it about 6 inches from your mouth to get the mic to pickup sound and it barely pics up brokens sound.

Also, the "stuck in IR night mode" popped up again. For testing I have two side by side in my office and #1 is having the IR and audio issues while #2 works as advertised. Looks like I'm going to have to send it back to Andy @EMPIRETECANDY . Regarding the noise filter it would appear that for my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (x 2) and IPC-T5442TM-AS (x 3) this setting only affects quality of audio rather than go or no-go. I always try both settings for grins.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Speaking of IR issues, anyone notice that the IPC-T5442TM-AS has a hard time getting out of IR mode? I have three and noted above that one has both an audio issue and a stuck in IR mode issue. The other two, the audio works fine and IR works but they have a difficult time getting out of IR mode. I pretty much have to hold them up to a bright window to "unstuck" them when the sensitivity of Day/Night Auto mode is set to "Middle" or "High". Maybe it's a firmware issue (V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02) or maybe there's something in the settings that make them much different than the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE...I don't have the IR stuck issue with them.

2.jpg
1.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. Mine trips pretty easy. Could just be the black cat vs the bright light in the background doesn’t provide quite enough contrast ?
What firmware are you using? My tripwires still don't work worth a hoot, and this did start happening around the time I upgraded to V2.800.0000000.10.R .

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
As I recall, the latest firmware discussed on the forum is V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02.
Guess I'm a couple of revs behind...I just got these from Andy a couple of weeks ago. I thought he upgraded and tested the cams before he sends them out.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
AFAIK his folks test to make sure that they boot up OK. Upgrading everyone before they shipped would take a good bit more time, IMO.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What firmware are you using? My tripwires still don't work worth a hoot, and this did start happening around the time I upgraded to V2.800.0000000.10.R .
I have one with the experimental 9/30 fw and one with 11/18...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of IR issues, anyone notice that the IPC-T5442TM-AS has a hard time getting out of IR mode? I have three and noted above that one has both an audio issue and a stuck in IR mode issue. The other two, the audio works fine and IR works but they have a difficult time getting out of IR mode. I pretty much have to hold them up to a bright window to "unstuck" them when the sensitivity of Day/Night Auto mode is set to "Middle" or "High". Maybe it's a firmware issue (V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02) or maybe there's something in the settings that make them much different than the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE...I don't have the IR stuck issue with them.

View attachment 52618
View attachment 52619
I have one of the 5442', and it's working fine on the latest firmware. Set the delay in Day&Night much higher than 2 seconds, this setting is to prevent bright lights from temporarily switching from day to night and back.
As I previously stated, the latest firmware can be found in Andy's vendor area: IPC-HX4XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.10.R.191118.zip
Not a reliable test for the IR, if the cam isn't outdoors.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Is anybody else having sub-par IVS performance on the 5442? The cat in the picture below walked right through the middle of a tripwire and an intrusion box and was never detected. It does trip if I walk through it. The Target Filter minimum size is set to 0-0, as is Pixel Counter. I don't have a clue what Pixel Counter is. My non-5442 cameras in the same situation will trip on a small bird walking through. (You can see a side-by-side 2nd camera in the upper right corner).
I have the following firmware installed:

IPC-T5442TM-AS
System VersionV2.800.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2019-11-18

WEB VersionV3.2.1.817187
ONVIF Version18.12(V2.4.5.800245)

I cannot get Abandoned Object or Missing Object to work at all...this is frustrating. Tripwire works fine in this firmware version for me but not AO or MO. In the Live view I can see the AO or MO rules drawn. But leaving an object or removing an object does not trigger anything. Did anyone else get AO or MO working in this version?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Tripwire works fine in this firmware version for me
Are you getting tripwires on other than people? It trips when I walk through it, but I've had all sorts of animals, including deer, walk through it with zero trips. It's almost like the "people only" filter is on, but it's not.

synk

n3wb
Reaction score
Will I need a wall mount bracket if I want to install this on a vertical surface (i.e wall)?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It can also be wall mounted using the mount shown above. I have 6 cams, all wall mounted using the same mount.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will I need a wall mount bracket if I want to install this on a vertical surface (i.e wall)?
It’s not required, the camera can mount directly to the wall with what comes in the box. The main consideration is that there is no extra room behind the camera itself to fit the camera’s cable pigtail (which is thick due to the waterproof Ethernet connector) so you’ll have to make a pretty big hole in the wall (3/4” IIRC) and stuff all the extra camera cable into the wall.

If you mount a junction box to the wall and then mount the camera to that, there is room in the j-box to fit the camera’s pigtail. You’d only have to drill a small 5/16” hole in the wall to pull an unterminated Ethernet cable from inside the house out to the camera.