Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Reaction score
Create three zones in BI.
Zone A is the entire field of view
Zone B is the edges of the camera's field of view - not too big however because you don't want to create a zone where someone can walk around the edge and not trigger the motion
Zone C is the part inside of zone B. Because you have zone A, you don't have to worry about touching zone B with C, but the two should be close, but not overlapping.
Could you show a screen shot of your zones from the BI zone creation tab?

Reaction score
Great, and can i recognize people better with 2.8 or 3.6?
Here are three shots of me testing the IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm. I am roughly 20 feet from the lens in each. First one is in daylight with direct sun. The second is at dusk with my coach lights and the street lamp on. The third is well after dark, again with my coach lights and the street lamp on. The camera is set at factory defaults except for Bit rate type = CBR and Bit Rate=8192 (maximum for this camera). My coach lights have two 500 Lumen 2700K LED bulbs in each and are located on either side of the garage door.

The 20 foot Identify works in the daylight shot, but is not good enough at dusk or after dark in these photos. In all three I am moving. If I was not moving, they would be better, but really 20 feet is very optimistic without enough light.

A1 5442-20ft.jpgB1 5442-20ft.jpgC1 5442-20ft.jpg

Note that if you hit the zoom icon for each photo, you get them in actual size without any digital zoom.

Last edited:

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are three shots of me testing the IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm. I am roughly 20 feet from the lens in each. First one is in daylight with direct sun. The second is at dusk with my coach lights and the street lamp on. The third is well after dark, again with my coach lights and the street lamp on. The camera is set at factory defaults except for Bit rate type = CBR and Bit Rate=8192 (maximum for this camera). My coach lights have two 500 Lumen 2700K LED bulbs in each and are located on either side of the garage door.

The 20 foot Identify works in the daylight shot, but is not good enough at dusk or after dark in these photos. In all three I am moving. If I was not moving, they would be better, but really 20 feet is very optimistic without enough light.

View attachment 60569View attachment 60570View attachment 60571

Note that if you hit the zoom icon for each photo, you get them in actual size without any digital zoom.
Great quality!, only not sure for the 2.8 or 3.6 lens

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 60569View attachment 60570View attachment 60571

As the ambient light diminishes you have to increase shutter speed to freeze motion. Thats why your 2nd and especially 3rd image have motion blur.

I run 1/120 on the 5442 at night in forced color, even with my 1200 lumen coach lights

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Could you show a screen shot of your zones from the BI zone creation tab?
Here is a camera in my back yard that I struggled with shadows from the trees. I realize it is a "simple" scenario however. Theoretically, someone could get through the bushes and fence at the top of the screen and not trigger anything. But those bushes are very thick and the likelihood of that happening are very small.

I get almost no false positives due to shadows, yet it is very accurate at triggering on people.

I'm skipping zone A, but that is simply the entire screen.

Zone B
ZoneB.png

Zone C
ZoneC.png

I hope that helps.

DwightMorgan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just setup my first IPC-T5442TM-AS, mechanically locked down properly, no quality control issues.

I am in a rural area with no neighbor or street lighting, not sure what I think of 5442 vs the 5321. I haven't done a back to back, but they are covering quadrants next to each other.

Concerns about the 5442

Doesn't handle vbr as well, have to run higher bandwidths to avoid noise.
Night IR viewing doesn't seem as good possibly not as good of an IR emitter?
No variable focal length
Even in the initial review, I found the eyechart on the 5321 easier to read.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just setup my first IPC-T5442TM-AS, mechanically locked down properly, no quality control issues.

I am in a rural area with no neighbor or street lighting, not sure what I think of 5442 vs the 5321. I haven't done a back to back, but they are covering quadrants next to each other.

Concerns about the 5442
Doesn't handle vbr as well, have to run higher bandwidths to avoid noise.
Night IR viewing doesn't seem as good possibly not as good of an IR emitter?
No variable focal length
Even in the initial review, I found the eyechart on the 5321 easier to read.
Keep in mind it is twice the resolution. That means in the same bitrate, you'll have less quality at 4mp than 2mp. Same thing with frame rate, higher framerate means lower quality for each frame at the same but rate.

Reaction score

DwightMorgan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a version of this camera that supports vehicle and human intrusion detection?

Blackhawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any updates on a black finish model? I have the HDW5231R in black, I had to paint the HDBW4231F black myself and it's not great.

Xavier6

n3wb
Reaction score
Hei guys,

I'm new to the IPCAM world. I just bought this camera 3.6mm and started play with it. I'm running the last firmware from Andy.

This topic is pretty huge. Can somone share some settings that he found beneficial on day and night?

I see there is also a lot of discussion about the codecs. I tought that before starting configure the camera make sense to be sure that codec records to the best quality possibile.
I just tested the encode and find that with 15 FPS, smart codec OFF, H.264H CBR with bitrate 8192 kb/s are really similar to 20480 kb/s. The VBR 8192 kb/s, max quality, is really terrible in comparison with CBR.
I don't see a difference between 264 / 264B / 264H CBR with the 8192 during my day test.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not an expert but I’ve found VBR quality lacking as well and I also run H.264H CBR with bitrate 8192 kb/s

Daytime I run auto exposure mostly, at night depending on your light, I run 1/120 in color, but I have a lot of white light.

Reaction score
VBR is not lacking in quality, it's a bug how this camera handles VBR settings. I.e. VBR 8192 kbps setting will get you actual bitrate about twice lower, so this results in terrible quality. When you get to actual bitrate of 8192 by jacking up VBR settings to about 14-16k then you'll see expected quality.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was planning to purchase a few of these to upgrade from 5231r-ze, but after reading a lot of posts here, I'm not so sure. Are those of you that are seeing these quality concerns able to resolve them and happy with the choice? I'm still watching this thread, but it seems like I may want to wait a bit longer.